IGNORED

Starts only in Neutral, not in any gear..?

Okay, here's a problem that has got me stumped. I was heading out on a trip to New Orleans and back when about a day into the trip at a gas station I noticed a problem. My 2005 RSTD wouldn't start up in gear. That is to say, I have the bike in 1st with the clutch pulled - pushed the ignition and nothing... But if I shift to Neutral and hit the ignition the bike with start, then I can shift into a gear. The trip is now over and my bike still ONLY fires up when it is in neutral.

Am I going crazy here? I use to be able to start in gear with the clutch pulled. Any ideas what am I missing here?

If it starts and stays running after you put it in gear, it's likely the sensor indicating that the clutch is pulled in. I could be the sensor or the clutch lever may be worn after much use.

Alan's (Quickstep) '84 has the same issue. I hope to be able to dig into over the winter.

Good luck!

Dave

Mine (1st gen but probably similar) wouldn't start in gear (Kickstand up or down!)

It had to be in neutral... didn't matter if clutch was in or out.

I replaced the clutch switch (or you could clean it as per DIngy's instructions)

Now it starts in gear, with clutch in (as long as the kick stand is up) as it should!

Mine (1st gen but probably similar) wouldn't start in gear (Kickstand up or down!)

It had to be in neutral... didn't matter if clutch was in or out.

I replaced the clutch switch (or you could clean it as per DIngy's instructions)

Now it starts in gear, with clutch in (as long as the kick stand is up) as it should!

Yep, same as mine, cept mine was intermittent, drove me crazy when my side stand switch was acting up too.

When it got worse I replaced the clutch switch and havnt had an issue since

Brian

Thanks everyone! I will be looking at the switches more closely this weekend. And yes, the kickstand is up.

I'll tell you though, I was getting real scared on my trip when it wasn't starting. I thought that I'd have to do a Fred Flintstone all the way back home..