IGNORED

Its that time of year again.

Flyinfool

It is the time of year where the deer are just coming into the rut.

This means that they will be more active and even less predictable than at any other time of the year.

A buck will attack ANYTHING that gets between him and the doe he is chasing. The does will run blindly trying to get away from the bucks if they are not yet ready for what he has in mind.

There is no more of the "mostly around dawn and dusk" for deer running across a road, expect them at any time of the day or night. All of the flashing lights and loud noises will not get them to stop from running in front of you. It is totally up to you to see and avoid them, and they may be coming fast.

Lets all be extra vigilant out there.

The Rut typically lasts till mid to late November.

I just heard a news story this morning of 7 people in Indiana killed in their mini van after hitting a deer that left the van disabled in the road and it was then creamed by a semi.

Our bikes are no match for even a small deer.

Thats very good advice...

Ask my wife to slow down on the back roads, twice yesterday and about 15 seconds after the second statement, while going around a curve, a big old doe ran across the road in front of us. Had we'd been going 55 we'd have been eatin deer meat... and I'd have been ordering parts for our new Toyota Corolla...

We generally try to stay around 45 mph on the back roads...

Be careful out there!

Its like that all year round down here. Then there's the wild hogs too. I try to tell my wife to use her brights at night as much as possible. But she's one of those that think headlights are either on or off and there's no hi / lo...:doh:

My buddy that lives outside of Red Lodge, Mt has so many lights on the front of his Yukon it looks like a Locomotive with it's mars lights on. Turns the darkness into daylight for almost a mile up the road, yet, he has still hit 2 deer. :doh:

A buck will attack ANYTHING that gets between him and the doe he is chasing..

Being an avid deer hunter for more than 30 years, I can say this is a false statement. Bucks do loose some sense during this time of year and they will try and keep other bucks away from the hot doe they are tending. Alot of deer are also being moved around this time of year because of the crops coming out of the fields. When a buck chases a doe they will run wherever regardless of roads. So it is wise to be careful when riding or driving this time of year.

Don't think Flyinfool meant that it would attack you literally, only that they are preoccupied... and to use a previously mentioned phrase

"Those big bucks are thinkin with the little head instead of the big head ":confused24:

Two year's ago a doe ran in front of our 4 wheeler and was goin +30 mph? (like a bat out of hell) and she changed direction when she saw us. The buck that was following her, came within 20 feet of us and just trotted along, didn't even look at us. Just like we weren't even there.

Now if we, had been another buck... I know for a fact ... the sparks would have flew...

I've actually had the honor of watching it a couple of times...

Kinda of like high school boys tryin to impress a female........

Edited by CaptainJoe

Being an avid deer hunter for more than 30 years, I can say this is a false statement. Bucks do loose some sense during this time of year and they will try and keep other bucks away from the hot doe they are tending. Alot of deer are also being moved around this time of year because of the crops coming out of the fields. When a buck chases a doe they will run wherever regardless of roads. So it is wise to be careful when riding or driving this time of year.

I also have been an avid deer hunter for more than 30 years. I have seen with my own eyes a 10 point buck attack a car that stopped in between him and the doe he was chasing. It was not just a case of the buck happening to run into the car, it was an all out attack with repeated charges. If they will attack a car, I am certain they will have no problem with a bike.

I also have been an avid deer hunter for more than 30 years.

A deer is an animal...

They are Unpredictable...

I for one appreciate the main point you were trying to get across... Expect the unexpected... And for that I thank you...

I'm gonna go grab a cold one now, and watch a movie...

I also know the point that was trying to be made. I personally don't think using the words attack ANTHING in capital letters was the right choice.Someone not familiar with wildlife (deer in this instance) could believe that it is dangerous to be outside near a woods at this time of year. I believe bucks attacking cars or humans is rare.,but I won't say it has never happened or won't happen again. It is wise to be extra careful with the crops coming out and the rut beginning. Exspecially early morning and at night,but the bucks can be chasing does at any time of day.

On another note...I knew a guy that was attacked by a 6 point buck, but this guy was so stupid, he used doe in heat scent on his cloths as a cover scent. The buck charged at him grunting,but when he started yelling and jumping the buck turned tail and ran. He had a crossbow in his hand,but that would have been a lucky shot at a fast moving deer.