IGNORED

helicopters

Sideoftheroad

The view from our backyard has a subdivision that has homes that are easily 750k+ (our home value is no where near that). We were looking out back and saw something moving. We kept looking and figured out that it was helicopter that had landed at the homeowners yard. It was a small probably 2 seater.

It got me to thinking is that legal? Wonder what the regulations are and wonder how the FAA would feel if they knew about it.

We have a fella here in Omaha that was a young business man about 35 years ago. He had a couple of start up deals going on and one of them hit it HUGE! Made him a very weathy man. Now, he was one of he guys that would drink beer and burp with the rest of us and he never changed after making it big. Still a fun loving guy and generous as could be. He had a house built on the biggest hill in the most expensive part of the city. Huge castle like home that took up an entire block. Very private, full security and just fantastic to visit there.

But he had a sense of humor his neighbors did not enjoy. He went and applied for a permit to build a heliport on his propery. The neighbors, the city council and everybody was throwing fits. They fought it in court, protest letters and just would not quit.

We asked him one day what kind of chopper he was getting and he just laughed it off. Never wanted one and had no plans for getting one. He was just having fun with the neighbors.

I wish I had enough money to tease the neigbors like that. Got a couple that need to see a Cobra hanging over the house. :whistling:

The view from our backyard has a subdivision that has homes that are easily 750k+ (our home value is no where near that).

As I look from East to West from my back deck ... every home within eyesight is ..... over 750k ... and as I turn to go inside I realize ... so is the one I live in (we rent) ... it's a plain-jane rectangular box, 3 bedroom, L-shaped living/dining 1.5 bath, single car garage and a 1 bdrm suite downstairs ... appx 40 yrs old and minimal upgrades. In fact, there are several homes within eyesight that are well over a million. It's no wonder we are just "renters".

Oh yeah ... and the only helicopters around are the ones scanning for grow houses or monitoring the freeway.

unless you are close to a large airport that has regulated airspace all the way to ground level and would have airspace control horizontally up to so many miles....he is probably operating in uncontrolled airspace....and VFR ( visual flight rules) ...and the FAA does have certain rules when flying close to certain obstructions.....but it sounds like you are rural...

Edited by jlh3rd

My next door neighbor has a friend that use to fly their kids back and forth to neighboring towns to soccer game in his Bell helicopter. He would set it down in the front yard, power lines in the rear. It was always fun to see. He still has the 2 helicopters to go along with his Lear and Citation jets. They guy later built his own airstrip and hanger. I believe his neighbor complained about the airstrip so the guy just bought his farm to shut him up.

Dennis

We live on a lake and have sea planes and helicopters flying in and out all the time. They come off the lake and turn right over our house :eek: so low that at times it looks like they're going to hit the trees in our yard :doh: We've gotten used to it over the years and don't pay much attention to them anymore. They do poker runs and party hops with the other pilots in the area, at times there may be 5-6 planes anchored out front of one of their homes. Must be nice. I have gotten a few rides in them though. :big-grin-emoticon:

It is quite amazing what a helicopter can legally do as far as where they can land and takeoff.

Even if within the controlled airspace of a major airport, they just have to radio in for clearance.

And what would you do with something that defies all the rules of aerodynamics??? Yah know they ain't supposed ta fly. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If it is considered in the Ultra Light Category it is legal

just like my ultralight plane I used to fly, no license needed.

My guess it probably is considered ultra light. Here is a pic of a model that I found on ebay. Pretty close to what I saw.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Robinson-R-22-Light-R22-Helicopter-Wood-Model-Reg-FS-/20/!CCyHjrwBWk~$(KGrHqYOKp0E0VKo5JQ9BNMU(WfWLg~~_3.JPG

If that is what is landing there, it is nowhere near an ultralight.

That is a model of a Robinson R22, The real one sells for around a 1/4 million:mo money: before optional add-ons.

The R22 weighs about the same as a Venture at 885 lbs. The max weight for an ultralight is 254 lbs.

Yes I want one of those also.

:think::think:

And Owls arent sposed to be able to ride motorcycles either......:stickpoke::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

That OLD Owl is too heavy to fly, :stickpoke:except maybe slung under an sky crane

:stickpoke:. But he did ride in Cody,without falling off for a change...... :thumbsup2:

Now, if he can remember, to fuel the scoot up & not run out of fuel in the tank, when out

on a ride. :bang head: Remember Owl, scoots do not run on methane gas, you have to buy gasoline, to get anywhere. :duck::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::canada:

:sign back to topic: