IGNORED

weird clutch problem

today went to work no problems. comeing home after about 7 miles of easy riding started to feel clutch was going away, had to pull it all the way to grip hard and had to stomp at shifter to change gears. it would take bike out of gear ok at stops but had hard time getting it into 1'st. then almost home had to keep it in third.( i didnt want to brake shifter stomping it )got home and couldnt get it in neutal till i just put stand down then could move shifter like normal. its too dark to see now but there is no leaks, master is a hair over half in site glass, the fluid should be changed as it looks on the brown side. but i dont know if thats the problem. what do you think? it is 83 venture xvz12tk thanks:confused24:

mine(91 vr) did the same thing twice, Both time flushing the fluid fixed the problem. Also a chance that it will shift normal in the am. As the fluid cools. Not sure why that is , something about brake fluid picking up water as it ages and the water keeps the slave from working corectly when the system heats up.

hope that helps as its all I know

David

I wonder if it has nothing to do with the clutch since you should be able to easily go all the way up and down thru the gears without touching the clutch.

Yes you still need the clutch to get into 1st and to pull away from a stop.

But you have to match rpm to transmission to do it. If you are not trying to it, it doesn't just happen!

Remove the master cover, remove all that brown liquid and any other dirt you might see or not see,,,, maybe use use some brake cleaner to flush the reservoir,,,,dry it all out, maybe use a little air,,,, pour in new clean fluid. Open up the bleeder screw at the bottom, attach a clear hose and put the other end in a bottle,,,, pump the handle until clear fluid comes out the bottom,,, half fill the reservoir and you should be good to go.

thanks for the help all !!! i took all fluid out of master cleaned it good had to use q-tips and brake cleaner was like mud on bottom. flushed it all was dark brown comming out. took about 4 mc fill till got it clear comming out :doh: well just took her out for about 10 mile back road try out. seems to have done the job. clutch acted same when it was cold as it did when got back :cool10: hope it stays that way for rest of season now:cool10: