IGNORED

HELP HELP Broke down in Branson

tbbrider

Rode ,my 07 rsv trike, all the way from lou,Ky on back roads with no trouble. Got to Branson ,got caught in traffic on a hill .It started to act like the clutch was slipping ,got up the hill but on the next hill had to pull over it quit pulling.Had to leave it in a parking. I don't know what to do,no yamaha shops around.The one in Harrison Ark. acts like he don't want to fool with it. It is still under warranty,but it is triked he don't know about the warranty.My first problem is getting some to look at it and if nothing else i will have to get a truck to haul it back to Ky. I have to get off this computor If any one can give so help call 502-494-1359

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with Terry and it sure sounds like the clutch is gone, the bike only has 4K on it but it had set up along time, says it is due for an oil change and a dealer did the last oil change. He checked the fluid in the clutch and it is full and clear. He did not try any other gear than first.

The same thing happened to Seaking when he overheated his clutch during a low speed class.

He'll need a new spring and new clutch discs. He might be able to get by with just a new spring to get him home, but I would assume that whatever is needed, he won't be able to get it locally so he might as well do the whole shebang while it's apart.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51166

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48033&highlight=clutch

Edited by flb_78

Bleed the clutch and check the expansion hole it's probably plugged. While you were riding the country lanes the motor didn't get all that hot, but when in Branson in stop and go the fluid heated up and started to expand, and since the reserve hole was plugged it started to push on the slave piston, and the clutch started slipping... A good indicator is after it sits for a while and cools off the clutch will start to work again.... until things start to heat back up. If you ever get to that point that you're standed take an 8mm open end and crack open the bleeder valve briefly. It should take pressure off the slave and let you get back to civilization...

Called Terry. Read Condor's post to him and told him a couple others had said may need clutch plates and at least spring. Gave him the info about nearby Yamaha Dealer.

he does say that the clutch is a little better after it sits a while, but still not driveable.

he will try Condor's trick to bleed a little clutch fluid in the morning. If not will give Dealer a call.

he's staying at a timeshare where he may be able to borrow a computer to get back on here later.

Sorry Im not at home. I live 70 miles east of Branson. With 2 trailers sitting at my place with nothing to pull them. Im in CA with the pulling vehicle. There is a Yamaha dealer in

Springfeild saw their advertisements on tv just before I left. Give Lowell (WildHair) a call he lives up there he may know where they are located.

John

I'm in Kansas City. Have the tools, but no parts. I do have a trailer. Not sure what I can do to assist. I will be heading to Arkansas this coming Thursday on the RSV. Can we get you some parts by then, so we can do swap?

Brian

Edited by exrsa1

Terry just called me.

He's going to get a fresh can of DOT4 synthetic brake fluid and bleed the clutch line, cleaning out the reservoir bowl. i told him to run just about the full can thru the line.

The bike had been sitting for 2 years before he got it.

He's staying at the timeshare in Branson until Saturday with his brotherinlaw who also has a Venture.

I told him about the offer to send him asap the Skydoc clutch upgrade kit one member has. I'll also PM Skydoc and see if he's following this. If he wants a kit, he'll have to furnish a mailing address. He'll decide after bleeding the clutch line with fresh fluid. That shouldn't take too long.

Terry has found a local 'generic' MC shop that may help. Told him that BW-PS is not a Yamaha MC dealer after-all.

Since I haven't done a spring only or spring & plate clutch upgrade myself, someone who has may want to jump in and provide a pointer to how-to's. Maybe Earl aka skydoc. I told Terry that from what I've read here, its easy to do in an hour or two. Terry is hesitant about his mechanical skills and hasn't worked on the bike/trike much.

Edited by RandyR

Depending on how badly the clutch is burned up, you may need both friction discs and steels. Tools needed to change the clutch are a 4mm allen wrench (it may be a 5mm but I am doing this from memory), needle nose pliers, and, ideally, a set of mechanics picks. You will want to change your oil. You will need to drain the oil anyway to change out the clutch since you have a trike (you can work on the clutch without draining the oil on a standard Venture while it's on the sidestand).

I have a complete clutch setup (friction discs, steels, and gasket) but don't think I have an extra spring. Your best bet is to get a complete set from SkyDoc17 with the heavy duty spring. Takes about an hour to do the first time. Half hour with some experience.

List of parts needed are (again from memory so quantities may be off by one):

7 steels

7 full friction discs

1 half friction disc (unless you want to do the Freebird upgrade which eliminates the 1/2 friction disc)

1 wire retainer (you can likely reuse the one you have - only need if using the OEM 1/2 friction disc)

1 gasket (since your bike is relatively new you may be able to salvage your old gasket, but don't count on it).

1 steel spring (either upgrade to the heavier VMax spring - available from SkyDoc17 or PCW Racing - or double up the new OEM spring with you dead spring)

1 oil filter (available at Walmart)

oil (also available at Walmart)

All told, about $170-$180 in parts, if I recall correctly.

Will be glad to help talk you thru the procedure if you get the parts. My phone number is in my profile. Sorry I'm not closer to help out in person.

Good luck.

RR

I am less then an hour from Branson.

If any help is needed I am willing to go over.

I have tools, and knowalge but no traler.

My cell is in my profile.

I am at work, but can receve cell calls.

call if you need me.

Bilko

I also have work shop and lodging if needed.

Depending on how badly the clutch is burned up, you may need both friction discs and steels. Tools needed to change the clutch are a 4mm allen wrench (it may be a 5mm but I am doing this from memory), needle nose pliers, and, ideally, a set of mechanics picks. You will want to change your oil. You will need to drain the oil anyway to change out the clutch since you have a trike (you can work on the clutch without draining the oil on a standard Venture while it's on the sidestand).

I have a complete clutch setup (friction discs, steels, and gasket) but don't think I have an extra spring. Your best bet is to get a complete set from SkyDoc17 with the heavy duty spring. Takes about an hour to do the first time. Half hour with some experience.

List of parts needed are (again from memory so quantities may be off by one):

7 steels

7 full friction discs

1 half friction disc (unless you want to do the Freebird upgrade which eliminates the 1/2 friction disc)

1 wire retainer (you can likely reuse the one you have - only need if using the OEM 1/2 friction disc)

1 gasket (since your bike is relatively new you may be able to salvage your old gasket, but don't count on it).

1 steel spring (either upgrade to the heavier VMax spring - available from SkyDoc17 or PCW Racing - or double up the new OEM spring with you dead spring)

1 oil filter (available at Walmart)

oil (also available at Walmart)

All told, about $170-$180 in parts, if I recall correctly.

Will be glad to help talk you thru the procedure if you get the parts. My phone number is in my profile. Sorry I'm not closer to help out in person.

Good luck.

RR

In addition to what Jeff said, you will need a small torque wrench that can go down to 6 lb/ft. 6 lb/ft is really not much and you do NOT want to break off or strip one of those little screws. If there is one nearby the Harbor freight 1/4 in. drive torque wrench will work.

As to whether you need everything or not. If the steels are blued they need to be replaced, If the steels are blued most likely the friction plates will be shot also. It all depends on just how long and how bad you abused it when it started to slip.

The wear limit for the friction plates is 2.8mm (.110 inch). 3mm (.118 inch) is new. Unless the whole clutch is totally fried, I would just change the spring and oil to get you home. If all you can get on short notice is a stock spring then just use the both the new stock spring and the old stock spring stacked together. If you can not get a new gasket just reuse the old one with some non hardening gasket sealer to get you home.

Of course once you get home then you can make permanent and proper repairs.

This picture from Tech tips, the shiny plate on top may be the factory flat spring & plate which I presume is all that has to be removed if doing a spring and gasket upgrade???

http://www.venturerider.org/clutchupgrade/image008.jpg

I say this not having done the job, and no where finding that specific info.

I did not discuss what kind of engine oil Terry was running. Hopefully not a friction modifier automotive oil, which could be the source of his problems.

Stuff I copied from other threads on the forum...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63201

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60398

spring only fix recommended as quick fix, options, springs from barnett, heavier spring from PCW, or double up on stock Yamaha springs, ie add a new one to the old one.

The Barnett kit is a true conversion from a flat diaphragm type spring to a pressure plate/coil spring type. Talk to Rick at http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/

Barnett kit available as a spring/pressure plate only upgrade or with discs. members report the spring/plate only upgrade solved their problems

Full PCW upgrade replaces the 1/2 friction plate with a full one narrowing the friction zone which some don't like.

Spring only upgrade available from PCW (v7Goose recommends)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35674

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22927

Goose says call PCW Racing at 518-346-7203 and tell them you want the spring upgrade kit(only) 518-346-7203 http://www.pcwracing.net/

Just tell 'em you want a clutch spring upgrade for a Royal Star Venture. Should cost around $82 for the kit

If want to do the PCW kit, suggest calling V7Goose

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18576

service manual http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm

on a trike will need to drain oil as it sits flat when opening the right side.