IGNORED

low-fuel warning light

Whitlow

The low fuel light comes on at the same time that the trip odometer first switches to "F" - but it is dim to begin with and takes a while to get up to full brightness. If they did not ride for a while on reserve, it would not be surprising if someone did not notice it.

If the trip meter is never switching to the "F" mode, then there is a problem with the fuel gauge sender. This is all documented in the owner's manual.

If the OP rode 40 miles on reserve and still could not see the low fuel light, it does sound like there is a problem.

Goose

I seen the F counter once on my 99 and never noticed the light, ever come on. But just before I sold it I had a wire break on the sending unit and fuel gage gave me an error code. I replaced the sending unit and sold the bike so i do not know if that fixed the light.

My 08 comes on same time as F counter with 2 bars left.

Brad

I have a 05 RSTD that I just purchased. The F on the fuel gage comes on but I do not switch to reserve. I don't understand what the connection is. If when the F come on I have 1 gal. of fuel, when do I have to switch to reserve? Help the new guy out please. This thing is too heavy to push.

There's not really a definitive answer to that. They seem to vary a bit. I think mine will usually start sputtering about 20 miles after the low fuel light comes on. Sometimes I don't even notice the light and will just feel it losing power as it runs out of gas. I just reach down then and switch it to reserve. Some folks leave it on reserve all the time and just use the lights but like I said, I sometimes don't even notice them. If I DO notice the low fuel light, I'll usually just switch it to reserve right then and get gas at the next place I come to.

The way mine works is when I get down to about 2 bars left on the fuel gage, the trip meter switches to "F" and the mileage starts counting up. About the same time the fuel light comes on dimmly and gradually gets brighter. If I use the petcock on the fuel tank, about 7-8 miles later, the bike will start to die so I have to turn the petcock to reserve. At this point I usually can go about 40 more miles before running completely out of gas. Most of the time I just rely on the fuel gage and light and leave the petcock on reserve. With the light and the trip meter, I really don't need to use the petcock, after all you don't have one on your car or truck, do you? Sometimes we just need to pay attention to the mileage we have already put on the tank of gas.

On the trike I get about 5 miles, give or take, before I have to be on reserve. I normally just leave it on reserve but I had an exhaust leak fixed prior to leaving foer the PIP and found out the hard way the dealer left it on the normal position. Riding 2 up towing a trailer at 70 - 80 I only get around 22 MPG...

The way mine works is when I get down to about 2 bars left on the fuel gage, the trip meter switches to "F" and the mileage starts counting up.

That's the part that I don't understand. When it switches to F and starts counting it is very erratic, I may go 5 miles and it shows 20, the next time I may go 5 miles and it shows 120. What's up with that? I get gas after riding 10 miles or so and it takes 4.8 - 5.2 gallons. :think:

That's the part that I don't understand. When it switches to F and starts counting it is very erratic, I may go 5 miles and it shows 20, the next time I may go 5 miles and it shows 120. What's up with that? I get gas after riding 10 miles or so and it takes 4.8 - 5.2 gallons. :think:

You have definately got something wrong with your fuel sending unit, in my opinion.