IGNORED

Electrical issue? Any thoughts?

So I decide to take a little ride tonight to enjoy the cooler weather. Made several stops along the way. No issues at any point. I stop at a little outdoor concert in Kingwood for about 30 minutes. Get back on the bike to head home, turn the key, the dash lights up for just a second then goes black!!! I check the kill switch, try a few more times. A couple more times it lights up for just a second or two. One of the times I quick hit the starter, but no go.

I left it there and got a ride home from the wife. Now I'm going to head back with some tools. What should I be looking for? Battery has been on a battery tender off and on all summer. Can I try to jump it from my car??? Help!

Hard to tell. Almost sounds like a short of some kind or perhaps the battery is dying. If you decide to boost it with the car be absolutely certain the car's motor is turned off before hooking up to your bike battery. While they are both 12 volts, the car puts out a lot more amps than does you bike's system. You could damage something. If you make a lot of short trips, that could run the battery down. You should put it on the tender every time to make sure you always start with a full charge. And of course, it would be a good idea to have the battery load tested as it may be the problem.

Good luck!

Andy

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or a loose connection. Connections at the battery itself are likely culprits.

As Yamaman pointed out, the charging system on the car will put out way more current than the regulator/rectifier on the bike can deal with. Jump without the car running.

Check electrical connections at the battery before trying to jump it. If you have a poor connection at the battery and get it running the motorcycle alternator can damage things. The system isn't designed to work without the battery damping the voltage and current.

Well I'm back home. No luck, had to leave the bike there. I don't think its the battery, maybe something with the starter? I hooked up the battery tender and if the light can be believed, it is more than 80% charged. (blinking green light) I looked at the connections at the battery and everything looked clean. I loosened the bolts, moved the connecting rings around, then tightened it back up. After leaving the battery tender hooked up for about 15 minutes, I thought I had it. Turned the key and the dash lit up, and stayed lit. But as soon as I hit the starter, it went black again.

I guess I need to try and figure out a way to get it home tomorrow so I can tear into it and figure out what's shorting out. Wiring at the starter or ignition switch??? This sucks. I'm OK at fixing stuff when I know what's wrong, but I'm terrible at diagnosing or finding unknown problems.

I hS somerhing simikar with my 02 last night. And. Couple of. Sluggish starts and then nada.

Being i pulles my seat and found thT prev owner had put the battery tender lugs between main cables and posts were oxidized. Took cables loose, made lead shiny with screwdriver and reattached main cables without tender wires. Snugges bolts good and voila.

Prior to emerfency cleaning contact was so poor headlight was not lighting. Starting like new at moment, couldnt find a date code on battery so no idea how old it is. I habe only had my bike since may.

Bob

Marshall, il

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or a loose connection. Connections at the battery itself are likely culprits.

QUOTE]

:sign yeah that:

Still sounds like a loose/corroded connection likely at the battery, but also check the main ground at the engine/frame. As someone said, battery connections need to be taken apart and sanded shiney. Also might check main fuse contacts for corrosion.

Well I'm back home. No luck, had to leave the bike there. I don't think its the battery, maybe something with the starter? I hooked up the battery tender and if the light can be believed, it is more than 80% charged. (blinking green light) I looked at the connections at the battery and everything looked clean. I loosened the bolts, moved the connecting rings around, then tightened it back up. After leaving the battery tender hooked up for about 15 minutes, I thought I had it. Turned the key and the dash lit up, and stayed lit. But as soon as I hit the starter, it went black again.

I guess I need to try and figure out a way to get it home tomorrow so I can tear into it and figure out what's shorting out. Wiring at the starter or ignition switch??? This sucks. I'm OK at fixing stuff when I know what's wrong, but I'm terrible at diagnosing or finding unknown problems.

Check to make sure that the lugs on the ends of the battery cables are tight.

Sounds like Ignition switch..Somewhere on here is a way to bypass it and you will know then. Think this is what you need to try http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=512

Thanks Tom. That looks like a good link, but unfortunately, I'm a complete dodo when it comes to electrical. :doh: If that's my problem then I'm sunk.

QUOTE]

:sign yeah that:

Still sounds like a loose/corroded connection likely at the battery, but also check the main ground at the engine/frame. As someone said, battery connections need to be taken apart and sanded shiney. Also might check main fuse contacts for corrosion.

I'm headed up there shortly to try again in the light. I'll take some sandpaper and go over all the connections more closely than I did last night. What about a connection/short at the starter?

Once again, you guys here are AWESOME!!! There was a little (seriously, very little) corrosion on the positive connections. I cleaned everything up nice and shiny and... WALAA! Bike is home and seems to be running fine. So what's my lesson here? How often should I be cleaning these connections? I just put my bad boy horn on the bike this spring and I didn't notice any corrosion then. So if I get out the wire brush and sandpaper and clean everything up once a year, would that probably be enough?

Thanks again Venture Riders!