IGNORED

Rear speaker problems

My right rear speaker just started making weird noises when I drive. It seems when the wind hits it just right it just loses it's crispness (if that's a word). Should that be covered under warranty? The bike will be 5 years old at Christmas.

I called the dealer and he said he would check but sorta said it wasn't. He never got back to me to confirm.

If it is not covered I'll have to look at replacing it somehow.

Thanks

Was thinking about that. I heard the polk were really good.

Any insight on where I could get them online since I am in the GWN? Or is there anything better or more accessible?

Thanks

UPDATE: NM, google is my friend. I have found them on this side of the border for $90 per pair with half off for the second pair and free shipping. Now I need to see if it would be cheaper State side.

Edited by Maritimer

I am starting to think the stock speakers are as good as any of the other ones on the market.

Not fussy on the polk, too high no bass, the pioneer seem to have nicer sound but certain songs seem to have too much bass and sound like crap. Kenwoods were better than the other two, but a new set of stock speakers sound as good or better than the others, I have had.

Just my :2cents:

Brad

They are giving me a song and dance about the Clarion being only guaranteed for 3 years. I told them my guarantee was for 5 years bumper to bumper and I want that respected. They can go after Clarion for the replacement either at Clarion's cost or their own....the shop owner is looking into it now. I'll see if they respect that or not.

I am starting to think the stock speakers are as good as any of the other ones on the market.

Not fussy on the polk, too high no bass, the pioneer seem to have nicer sound but certain songs seem to have too much bass and sound like crap. Kenwoods were better than the other two, but a new set of stock speakers sound as good or better than the others, I have had.

Just my :2cents:

Brad

Infinity Speakers, That is what I replaced mine with and I love them. Can crank it to 25 with bass set at 5 and treble at 1 and it sounds great.:thumbsup2:

Infinity Speakers, That is what I replaced mine with and I love them. Can crank it to 25 with bass set at 5 and treble at 1 and it sounds great.:thumbsup2:

Rick,

What model Infinity Speakers & are they marine grade? Have you added an amp? Just been thinking on the idea for this winters project and not sure what direction Iam going to go with.

Thanks

Brian

UPDATE:

The shop owner called me back. Said he had been on the phone with Yamaha HQ and in fact the speakers are covered. However it comes with a BUT..

Covered BUT they don't know if I played my music too loud and blew the speaker, or if the rain got in it and rotted it or if I used too much water etc.... All of the above should be covered IMO. Water fro rain or washing should not affect a waterproof/exterior speaker. If it does that is their problem.

I will now take the bike over and likely leave it for a few days or week or whatever so they can properly look at it.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer looked at the speaker. It was literally coming apart at the seams. They will replace under warranty. $115 for one Clarion speaker 25 Watt. Next time will be at my own cost, I will replace with better quality and higher wattage. For now though I'll use the warranty.

• 4 weeks later...
They are giving me a song and dance about the Clarion being only guaranteed for 3 years. I told them my guarantee was for 5 years bumper to bumper and I want that respected. They can go after Clarion for the replacement either at Clarion's cost or their own....the shop owner is looking into it now. I'll see if they respect that or not.

Take it to another dealer if there is one close to you. Your dealer should have some pull but if they dont then go to one that does

My dealer said that the speaker goes to Clarion. Only took about a week for them to get it in. Work scheduled for this Tuesday.

As for warranty work... I mentioned to the dealer that the fairing/windshield tab was broken on one side. They said that Yamaha wouldn't cover it because PDI is supposed to make sure everything is done correctly during the build. Yamaha's attitude would be that the owner had opened the fairing and broken it and wouldn't cover it.

I still blame the original dealer that the PO had purchased the bike from. My dealer (who did the safety inspection when I purchased it from the PO) had pointed out the chrome windshield tabs were broken (and a few other items done incorrectly) and neither the original dealer nor Yamaha would do anything about it.

Maybe the PO split the fairing. How well do you know the PO????? That makes sense that Yamaha would not warranty the broken tabs. When I bought my RSV The saddle bag had a blimish in it. I pointed it out the day I bought it. Picked it up and when I got home pulled it ion the garage. There was the blimish. So I contacted the dealer and told them the blimish was not removed with polish. They got Yamaha to replace.

Maybe the PO split the fairing. How well do you know the PO????? That makes sense that Yamaha would not warranty the broken tabs.

I didn't argue with them but the original dealer knew the PO and the PO said he'd never taken the chrome windshield trim off... but they wouldn't admit they screwed up. I gave them a list of what my dealer had found wrong with the assembly... but still didn't help.

Well I would bet that someone had split the fairing. Probably some tech. I had my valves adjusted. Rode about 6 mile pulled in to get gas. I have oil dripping off the bike. The tech did not put the gaskets on right. How you can screw that up is beyond me. They took care of it. Si like I said some tech probably broke iot taking it apart or putting it back together would be my guess

I didn't argue with them but the original dealer knew the PO and the PO said he'd never taken the chrome windshield trim off... but they wouldn't admit they screwed up. I gave them a list of what my dealer had found wrong with the assembly... but still didn't help.

Thaty is why I always have a certified person look at a car or bike I am buying. If there are issues the dealer or the person I am buying it from either fixes it or take that muc h off to cover the cost of getting iot fixed. If that does not happen I willl not buy.