IGNORED

HeadSets with Boom Microphone

Guest MotorCycleRadio

Guest MotorCycleRadio

I purchased the P/N STR-4XY89-50-KT (2 EACH) for my 2008 RSV. They both bombed! One had no audio from the microphone at all. The other one the audio output was about 5% of the 100% that would have been normal. I've been in 2 way communication/electronics over 40 years and these were the pits! These are the ones purchased through your Yamaha Dealer. Buyer Beware! Does anyone know where I can get some that actually work on this bike? I need EVERYTHING to work properly for group rides. Need head to tail commo.

I have tried Chatterbox and J&M. The Chatterbox units are complete POCs (Piece of Cra*). I had a set that lasted a little under a year, took it back in for warranty and my dealer provided another one. It lasted about a year. Even under warranty, I did not want another set. I had them installed in a 3/4 helmet and a brain bucket.

I purchased a J&M set and have been very pleased. The hi-fidelity of the music isn't that great, but the mic and speakers have worked flawlessly for 2 years. I have it installed in a modular full face helmet.

J&M is the best I have tried.

RR

I was having a brain fart, couldnt remember wingstuff for anything..............:whistling:

But their expensive shipping, to Canada as they use only UPS. Shipping & Brokerage fees really get you good........ Ask Sarges46, about that.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/jandm.asp this dealer will ship to Canada by USPS, I have been very pleased by their service too.

Guest MotorCycleRadio

The afore mentioned HeadSets WERE the J&M. Yamaha has their own P/N assigned to them. But they ARE the J&M HeadSets. I installed one set that had NO output on CB audio. The Dealer installed the other set (I purchased 2) that had the 5% audio output on CB. Also the Dealer checked out the radio on my RSV and talked to Yamaha Tech Support. They said the Unit on the bike is NOT broken. Ergo the headsets MUST be the problem. All I know is I'm sick and tired of stuff that doesn't work!

Guest KitCarson

Something you might check......I just only recently decided to install a headset into my helmet.......wanted to have the CB also to be able to talk to friends on a ride. Figured this was one bit of technology I should use, mine is the Yamaha J and M also. I have never had anything plugged into the receptor on the bike.......my receptor wire on the bike was bad....at the plug receptor. The speakers worked fine......all that stuff worked.......plug in the headset and nothing.......checked the headset with a ohm meter....was okay..it all works now headsets were fine.

One thing you might try to check the front wire is simply connect to the passenger wire. If that one works you know at least where the problem is. I've had good luck with the J&M sets. and agree about the chatterbox stuff. I had one new J&M that had an earpiece that was bad and I sent it back for a replacement with no problems. Good luck. I've had nothing but good reports on the RSV CB radio. Everyone says it sounds great.

Guest MotorCycleRadio

The headsets have already been returned. ALSO, I called the Yamaha Customer Service FIRST...and they would not pass me to Tech Support. Said I HAVE to go through the dealer, and the dealer will talk to Tech Support. I told him I probably knew more about radio equipment than the dealer. He said it didn't matter, I must go to the dealer. If the dealer did not check the rear plug-in to see if the front plug-in was bad, then the tech rep at Yamaha he was talking to didn't know his job. I'm not going to be the trouble-shooter for them. That's what the warranty is paying them to do. For the money they get for the headsets, the lack of quality I observed was shameful. The plug of the middle interconnecting cable was loose inside the rubber housing. (shield) Over 400 bucks ought to get you better than this! If I purchase something outside from Yamaha, then I will trouble shoot it myself. I guess that's what I will have to do at this point.

My wife and I use the OEM J&M headsets on our 3/4 helmets. We've had no issues. Sound is very good. With the face shields up they are a little noisy but we can still hear reasonably well. We do not use them for music (illegal in PA and I try to be a law abiding guy!).

I purchased the P/N STR-4XY89-50-KT (2 EACH) for my 2008 RSV. They both bombed! One had no audio from the microphone at all. The other one the audio output was about 5% of the 100% that would have been normal. I've been in 2 way communication/electronics over 40 years and these were the pits! These are the ones purchased through your Yamaha Dealer. Buyer Beware! Does anyone know where I can get some that actually work on this bike? I need EVERYTHING to work properly for group rides. Need head to tail commo.

I asked J&M how the quality between the J&M that Yamaha sells and the ones on there site http://www.jmcorp.com/

They told me that the ones Yamaha sells are not as good as the "Value Priced" sets at J&M. Yamaha really rips us off on their accessories.

I purchased 2 sets of the "Elite Series" seen at http://www.jmcorp.com/

However I bought mine on eBay for a LOT LESS. I have received them and WOW, what a sound. Everything J&M told me they would be. The sound is absolutly incredible. If you are interested, I can look up the name of the guy I bought them from. He shipped USPS and because I live in Canada, he marked it as warranty replacement and I didn't even pay taxes. ZERO.

Hope this helps.