IGNORED

Advice? Switching to V-Max cams

think of it.a 130 hp. venture with 150 ft. lbs. of torque in a 100 lb. lighter bike.mid 12 sec. 1/4 mile,140 top speed.very good possibility.they would'nt design a whole new motor just for a slow seller like the v-max.it costs to much.and from the looks of the new motor nothing is anything like the old one.now that would be the ultimate touring machine.just hope they don't get carried away and make it look like a crotch rocket instead of a motorcycle. although with the changing times it will probably have to look futuristic like the wing.:2133:

As long as it has good binders (read antilock) and a comfortable seat (read NOT RSTD) I'm up for a new bike as soon as the kids are out of college. Lets hope it gets here before I'm on Medicare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Guest jkdickson@rogers.com

Why not consider a Turbo, it will cost more but the thing should rock !!!

I'm trying to find one to find out what's involved and the cost.

Has anyone head about one for the Venture ?

Why not consider a Turbo, it will cost more but the thing should rock !!!

I'm trying to find one to find out what's involved and the cost.

Has anyone head about one for the Venture ?

Turbo isn't a good idea on a V4 Bike. Doesn't look good.

Go for a Rootscompressor, a Eaton from the Mini Cooper-Car fits ....

1200 cc Vmax Stock-Engine with Injection and Compressor pulls around 170 HP at 0.3 bar Pressure...

http://members.home.nl/rolfbulles/html/kompressor.html

• 2 weeks later...

Man , I cant believe how far these post's have gone.

I finally did put the Dyna3k on my Tur'd and while the weather here in MT hasnt been nice enough to put in a real good test, the short trips I've taken have shown an improvement. At least near bottom to midrange performance. I have tried the 7250 rpm with curve 3 then bumped it to the next setting7500 at curve 4, much better there.I can probably live with that now. But I really need to take it out on a long ride to find out for sure. I really can't go more than a couple of hundred miles (round trip) for a test . Because getting caught in freezing weather sucks.

My only other option it seems is gutting the engine and , well , MAX' ing it out. I would then have an 800 pound rocket or gorilla ,I guess, with a fuel range between 120 and 150 mile's depending on wrist action. But in a vision I had while contemplating the overhaul's expense and results I realized what I really needed was an FJR 1300. So , I think that I'm going to save up my sparkle bucks for a sport -tourer deluxe. with a range of 250+ miles and topped out at 160 mph I should be able to go to the moon and back!!

:cool10:

Man , I cant believe how far these post's have gone.

I finally did put the Dyna3k on my Tur'd and while the weather here in MT hasnt been nice enough to put in a real good test, the short trips I've taken have shown an improvement. At least near bottom to midrange performance. I have tried the 7250 rpm with curve 3 then bumped it to the next setting7500 at curve 4, much better there.I can probably live with that now. But I really need to take it out on a long ride to find out for sure. I really can't go more than a couple of hundred miles (round trip) for a test . Because getting caught in freezing weather sucks.

My only other option it seems is gutting the engine and , well , MAX' ing it out. I would then have an 800 pound rocket or gorilla ,I guess, with a fuel range between 120 and 150 mile's depending on wrist action. But in a vision I had while contemplating the overhaul's expense and results I realized what I really needed was an FJR 1300. So , I think that I'm going to save up my sparkle bucks for a sport -tourer deluxe. with a range of 250+ miles and topped out at 160 mph I should be able to go to the moon and back!!

:cool10:

Last Year, i've had a FJR1300 over a Weekeend. Friday/Saturday was taken as Testride for Selling. Sunday i paid the Rent for the Bike.

When i brought it back to Dealer, i was lucky to get back on my Max.

He asked me for pricing the Deal. He was quite confident that i'm have to be willing the Bike because of the Bike's strenght and Quality. I was not. I' was just before outlaughing him for this Kind of Crap. The Gastank gets very hot on riding at higher Temperatures. Fairing and so on was not bad at all. My Wife had a better Place on the rear Seat .... BUT ...

Even if this Engine is pumping around 145 HP and proper Torque, the Feeling of Power is bad. from 2k to 6.5 k it revs up quick, not far behind my Vmax, from there on to redline, there's only some Power, not as the Max or the Venture's pulling and zooming towards Horizon. It's the same as a Fireblade or GSX-R does Lots of Power, but nothing to the Heart.... R4 Engines, if you know what i'm trying to say. I've driven many Bikes in that Time, BMW GS1200, K1200LT, Honda XX. None was like a V4, not even close to it.

After that, i bought my '93 Venture and was pleased form the 1st Moment i'd driven it. Not to mention the Difference in Cost and Service you have to expect when buying a new Bike. May the technical Side say otherwise, i'll stick to V4 Engines.Take a long Ride an the FJR and test it to the Things you expect from your Bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats what I'm hoping to do this summer. They have rentals out in WA, which is close for me. The demo's I've ridden are no real way to get the feel of an FJR. I understand and might agree with your opinion on V4s. The FJR is a totally different machine. But when I first started riding thats the type of bikes I rode. Buts what is more important to me is about the steering geometry and for highway speeds and range. I 'm sticking with this RSTD for a couple of years. This bike has so many positive's that I would really like to hang on to it and possibly have both bikes. For passengers the RSTD is fantastic too. Couldnt say the same for the FJR.

• 6 years later...
Im thinking of doing this upgrade just need to know. If I swap out the cams on a 97 Royal Star, will I need to change the springs over as well?

You may want to start a new thread as this one's 7 years old.... :backinmyday::backinmyday:

To answer your question though, I would recommend changing out the springs. If you end up installing a Dyna ignition to bump up the rev limiter, they will recommend the heavier duty springs if you want to set it higher than 7200 RPM.

Agree 100% not much use of changing cams if not doing the rest of it. You may want to change the carbs. if you have the 28mm to the 32 mm to get the most out of it. :2cents:

Ok so I have the dynatek in and the carby. I have already purchased the springs with all the other bits but having a really hard time getting them in. Are there any tricks with getting them on without taking the engine out or the heads off, that's if I can get the heads off without taking the engine out?