IGNORED

I'm Getting "Amp"'d Up

So it would appear that the right channel of my amp is toast. Would anyone have a 1st Gen amp they would be willing to part with at a reasonable price?

(I have thought about buying a complete new system and trashing the whole stock radio but I am stuck on having the ability to go to headset anytime I like and having GPS Bluetooth phone capabilities, thanks to my Buddy Rich cable. I partly blame Buddy Rich for my dilemma. :smile5:)

Thanks,

Thomas

I think I got one in a box of parts recently advertised on here. I just wanted the intercom cable and got a box of other goodies included.

I'll check it out later today to be sure but IF I do have an extra one, it's yours ....free if you decide to go for a ride to Kingston....or pay for shipping.

Let me start by sending out a heart felt "Thank You" to all who replied and offered parts (amp) and advice. You guys are truly the best. Now for an update.

After stopping by Carl's this afternoon where we pontificated on the relevance of the existential man in today's society, we also took some time to discuss the issue at hand. Carl's advice was to remove the two sockets for the audio system from the back of the unit and plug them into the system so that I would have some wiggling ability. This sounded reasonable to me and so I went on my merry way with new information and another amp (in case the wiggling might not work).

I have now just completed about 30 mins of fiddling and yes, wiggling to no avail. I plugged in Carl's donated amp and it powered up but alas, no sound at all. Not right channel, not left channel. Nothing. Nada. After double checking and triple checking connections, ground and antenna, there was not a peep.

I plugged my original unit back into the system and got the same garbled gobbledygook as I started with, emitting from the right channel. In a small fit of frustration I hit the top of my amp (not very hard) with the handle of my socket wrench and gobbledygook turned to sweet melodies. LOLOL

It would appear that the "love tap" from the business end of a hand tool was all it took to get my amp to see things my way.

I know this is not a permanent solution but I'm liking the results right now and I'm gonna ride it out for as long as I can...for now.

Thomas

After stopping by Carl's this afternoon where we pontificated on the relevance of the existential man in today's society, we also took some time to discuss the issue at hand.

Thomas

And just what were you smoking at the time?:smile5:

you have a cold solder joint somwhere in the amp... or a loose circuit board.

Good thought at this point,,, I had discounted it, but with the results of hammering it, I would agree,,, maybe an easy fix.

And just what were you smoking at the time?:smile5:

Thomas doesn't smoke,,, he don't go fast enough, or get hot enough.

While at Cody with my two non working radios, switched out the stereo top panel to another bike and it worked. Put a working top panel in my bike and it did not work. The indication here is there is a problem with the AMP. How does one test the AMP? There are a number of different cables that plug in to this box, are they interchangeable or are all the plugs different so they can't be mixed up?

Clive,

I will share with you what I've learned.

1st - tapping the amp may bring it back to life but this is not a long-term solution, (actually about a 5km solution)

2nd - all first Gen amps are the same part number so the amps are interchangeable.

3rd - the top panels are usually not the problem, the problem is inside the amp which I have completely opened up and scoured both circuit boards for cold solder joints (found one, didn't fix my problem)

4th - the amp has two cables coming out from it. One (bottom of photo) is power and speaker outputs, the other is to interface with the top panel. The cable coming from the receiver is wider and cannot fit into the socket for the amp. So no worries about mixing them up.

That's all I have. Replacement amp is on it's way to me now from Pinwall Cycles and I will let you know if it fixed my troubles.

Thomas

The cables I was referring to are the 5 pin DIN cables. There are 4 or 5 of them plugged in to the AMP box contraption which may or may not actually be the AMP but is hooked to it. As you can tell my memory of this part is a bit vague. A while ago I removed the left fairing to get at the wiring behind it which necessitated the removal of the box that is under the two blue connectors. I numbered the DIN cables and am fairly certain they were put back in their original positions. Since the radios did not work at the time, what I am not sure of is whether the cables were in the correct places when I bought the bike.

Ohhh! I like that. Giving that recalcitrant piece of equipment a rap on the noggin, so to speak, will be a definite pleasure. Reminds me of the old days when vacuum tubes were the norm and transistors had not been invented yet. A judicious knock or tap would often get things fired up for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion Thomas.

No, the din cables can not be mixed up as they are different by the number of pins they are. The exception is the 2 intercom cablesa can be mixed, it does not matter. One cable comes from the tuner box that is strapped to the amp box, 2 are for the intercoms, one is for the CB. If you look closely you will see that they are labeled...

Tom, you PAID for a unit when I'm trying to get rid of my extras?????

No, the din cables can not be mixed up as they are different by the number of pins they are. The exception is the 2 intercom cablesa can be mixed, it does not matter. One cable comes from the tuner box that is strapped to the amp box, 2 are for the intercoms, one is for the CB. If you look closely you will see that they are labeled...

Hey, ya, what's the scoop,,, we have to clean out Bob's 'junk' for him,, so he has room for more,,,, come on, get with the program.......:no-no-no::whistling:

I'm sorry Bob. Please don't be offended. I've always had to pay my way through this life and I find it difficult to accept such generous offers. I promise I'll try to change my ways. :8:

Thomas

Can't be mixed up is good news. What about the two intercom cables you mentioned? If one end is swapped does that mean the intercom will work backwards? Probably not but thought I would ask anyway.

Does that mean you have a spare AMP that may work?

Yes I do but I'm not thrilled with shipping to Canada due to customs hassle and cost of shipping. My passport expires this month so I won't be able to cross for a while. Thomas is only about a hour and a half from here. Maybe one of the Canadians coming down to Big Tom's M&E can take it home with them and ship from their house.

No, if the intercom cables are hooked up backwards they still work, except you develop a feminine voice and your wife's voice gets husky and tells you to shut up...

I received my Pinwall Cycles amp today and after a couple of things off the "honey do" list I got the chance to install it. After checking and double checking the connections, ground, antenna, and such, I looked away as I turned the dial to "on".

What happened was literally sweet music to my ears. Crystal clear music from both speakers! What a joy! So. I buttoned it all back up and polished until my wife got home and as soon as her car door opened...I was gone. 3 hours on the scoot and not a single blip in the sound. (knock wood)

I can't wait for the spin to Pioneer weekend. I will be humming, singing out loud and bobbing my head all the way to NY state.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Cheers!

Thomas