IGNORED

A Tale of Two Scooters

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Keep an open mind or read no further. You have been warned!

:big-grin-emoticon:

So...back in early June I learned of a couple of 150cc scooters for sale. Cheap. Fast forward a few weeks and I bought them. I loaded them both up in my little-red-chevrolet-half-ton-pickemup-truck, and hauled them home.

Roketa Bali 150cc Chinese Scooters. You can buy them on the interweb for around $1200-$1400 delivered.

I paid $600 each. These are 2007 models, with 252 miles on the black one, and 688 miles on the blue one. Not even broken in. They have sat for most of the last 3 years. The previous owners bought them as a pair and just didnt ride them much.

They are a hoot! These get around 70 mpg, will do almost 60 mph on a flat level road, and are super easy to ride. Twist and go...no shifting.

No, you wont be taking these on the interstate, you'll get yer ass run over. But around town they are fun and easy to ride. The have some storage under the seat, enough room for a couple of bags of groceries...and more pep than you would think. They will easily keep up with normal traffic. In fact, most of the time I'm in front. MOST of the time!

I traded the blue one off, and was going to sell the black one to another friend, but she backed out due to the long wait to take a motorcycle class. (that sucks by the way!)

So I decided to keep the black one. Added to my stable. I have had 5 offers to buy the black one from me...two of those offers were from Harley owners who took it for a spin...its that much fun!

I was really surprised when I took it to my insurance agent and they quoted me 7 dollars.

I said, seven dollars a month? She said, no...seven dollars a YEAR!

I can live with that!:dancefool:

So off I ride into the wild, but nearby, blue yonder.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/roketa-scooter/?albumview=slideshow

Edited by tx2sturgis

If someone offered me one of those for $600, you can bet the family farm that it would be mine. I've done some research on some of the Chinese scooters.....actually have done some repair work on them as well. From what I have found, the Roketa brand is one of the "better" of the Chinese variety.

Nice find!

Guest tx2sturgis
If someone offered me one of those for $600, you can bet the family farm that it would be mine. I've done some research on some of the Chinese scooters.....actually have done some repair work on them as well. From what I have found, the Roketa brand is one of the "better" of the Chinese variety.

Nice find!

We did have to swap out a carburetor, which the owner provided us with, because the blue bike had a problem with the electric choke, not releasing. We swapped out the carb and it runs fine now.

I forgot to mention: The bikes came with 2 helmets, two cassette car stereos, and 2 top boxes for the luggage rack. I took those off...they were very cheaply made and were just plain ugly, and scratched up, and didnt hold anything more than a sixpack...AND the locks were wonky and used a differnt key...so off they went.

We added a half can of seafoam to the gas tank on each one, since the owner told me the gas in the tanks was about 3 years old...and we are monitoring the fuel filters...I have a couple of those ordered.

Parts for these things are cheap....and I mean cheap!

Brake pads: $8, tires: $40, CVT belts: $25, replacement fairing: $45...brand new engine: $257.....talk about low cost of ownership. I guess some of those college kids are onto something!

These even have automatic electric choke, ABS, and are rated to haul 500 pounds.

Sure, its cheap and crude stuff, but it seems to work.

And they are very easy to work on, for the most part...but it helps if your hands are small!

They are a hoot! These get around 70 mpg, will do almost 60 mph on a flat level road, and are super easy to ride. Twist and go...no shifting.

I bought a brand new Honda Spree in in July of 87. 50cc, 30 mph tops, and better than 100 mpg.

I put 2,000 miles on that thing in 2 months, 200 on Labor Day weekend alone. :thumbsup2:

I started thinkin' I like this riding thing.:confused24:

Bought an 83 Sportster a week later.:D

Nickname stuck though...:scratchchin:

Later, Scooter Bob

Guest tx2sturgis
Could it be that $8 brake pads can't lock up the wheels?:confused24::D

:sign just kidding:

Possibly! :crackup:

....hey the ABS here is not electronic...its a simple but effective modulating valve....similar to that brake mod that some RSV owners have added....its a flow regulating device but still...it seems to work well...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/roketa-scooter/th_f8def497.jpg

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Just a short video of some ride footage I shot from the captains chair of the Roketa.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKRoZu0GK0]YouTube - ‪Riding the Roketa‬‏[/ame]

Guest tx2sturgis
Ya ridin that baby to Sturgis:think: Hey they look pretty cool, glad you are enjoying them !

Craig:big-grin-emoticon:

I'd love to ride it AT sturgis.....it would be fun in the campground...that sucker is 900 acres of room...and it would be fun to cruise main street on it....but unless I find someone to haul it up there in a trailer...I guess it will stay in Texas.

And BTW....there is NO way to look "cool" on one of these...you can forget about that....put it out of your mind cause it AINT gonna happen!

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
I liked your picture of the gas pump !

Nice looking scoots !

Maybe you should set up a web site like this one !

Enjoy the ride !

Nah....there are plenty of scooter websites all over the internet....

The gas mileage is pretty amazing...I've got about 170 indicated miles, (~153 gps miles) on the current tank...all of that just riding around this area this week. The gas gauge needle has just barely reached the E mark...and remember, its only a 2 point 'something' gallon gas tank. I havent filled it from completely empty yet to know exactly what it will hold when dry.

The range on that little scooter seems to be about what the range is on the Venture with nearly 6 gallons.

Of course, a 9 horsepower motor wont gulp fuel at a real high rate even at wide open throttle...and I have ridden it several times for several miles at full gallop....riding along at a blazing 55-57 mph.

Further reports later....for now...I'm getting back on the Venture and will put a few hundred miles on it...and a new front rubber.

I'd love to ride it AT sturgis.....it would be fun in the campground...that sucker is 900 acres of room...and it would be fun to cruise main street on it....but unless I find someone to haul it up there in a trailer...I guess it will stay in Texas.

And BTW....there is NO way to look "cool" on one of these...you can forget about that....put it out of your mind cause it AINT gonna happen!

:whistling:

I don't understand your problem. You have a venture with a trailer hitch. You certainly have a trailer. Just load that sucker up and 'scoot' up on up there! Put a straight pipe on that and putter on up to the Hell's Angels tent and you'll be accepted with open arms... I'm sure of it. :moon:

By the way, there IS a way to look cool - but it involves a member of female gender riding one of those 'hogs'...

Good find! They look like fun. I am amazed at the top speed being ~55 mph. :thumbsup2:

The real question is how do your H-D loving chickies feel about it? :witch_brew::stickpoke:

Guest tx2sturgis

212 miles, 2.9 gallons.

73 mpg.

(trip odometer is not working)

And check out the pics of the Roketa 150 parked alongside a HD Roadking. Which one of the bikes LOOKS bigger?

Surprising. Even to me.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
That is surprising!

I'm also pretty jealous of the motorcycle parking. We don't have any of that around here, that I know of.

Thats a good thing to suggest to your employer...thats how we got about 15 covered spaces where I work. I've even seen motorcycle parking at Home Depot...which is surprising when you think about it...since most motorcycle riders wont be hauling a bundle of 2x6's or even a few sheets of drywall!

I've even seen motorcycle parking at Home Depot...which is surprising when you think about it...since most motorcycle riders wont be hauling a bundle of 2x6's or even a few sheets of drywall!

I bet a 400 - 500 dollar cordless drill and saw kit will strap on the back. marketers are up on their job these days when it comes to getting customers coming to the store.

Guest tx2sturgis
I bet a 400 - 500 dollar cordless drill and saw kit will strap on the back. marketers are up on their job these days when it comes to getting customers coming to the store.

Oh yeah, you can easily spend several hundred dollars on a few items from the tool section or the electronics aisle.... items that will fit in a saddlebag.

Still amazing to me that they have 'motorcycle only' parking at the Home Depot, the local college, and even some libraries and shopping centers.....yet...MOST Harley and Metric motorcycle dealerships do not provide 'motorcycle only' parking!

What the hell is up with that?