IGNORED

Real or Artificial?

Yama Mama

Nothing about motorcycling. Just wondered how many have an artificial Christmas tree or a real tree.

Do you have a special tradition your family has this time of year.

Peggy:wow:

Artificial, because of my wife's allergies. However Starting the Friday after Thanksgiving and every weekend till Christmas I work at our Cousin's Tree Farm. Its alot of fun and people for the most part are in a good mood. The Kids are really cute too.

Artificial. Found a great one with the lights at Home Depot for about 40 bucks more than they charge for them on a lot.... $40 bucks plus.... And everyone that sees it thinks it's real. This is our 4th year so we're way ahead in the expense dept. HO HO HO!!!!

Fake. This year we are going to spend Christmas in our youngest daugther's first home, so instead of moving all the furniture around in the living room, we put it in the computer room instead.

Our family tradition has always been stockings, our girls have always gone through their stockings together, even doing it with international phone calls one year. Since they are now adults they did not want to give up their stockings so we now draw names for stockings to fill. They come up with some pretty inventive items for stockings.

Fake..... We have had it for around 4 years..... I have it mounted to a board with casters on it, and after Christmas, we cover it up with a giant plastic bag and push it back into the Christmas stuff closet.... now how is that for RedNeckism ?? hahah I meen Ho Ho Ho.....

Up here we don't call that Redneckism just innovative. LOLUsed to be real every year now it' fake.

Ron

Real. My daughter is 6 years old, so the magic of the season is really apparent. Even though it costs more, we trek out and cut down our own tree; decorate it with white lights and wooden ornaments. Of course we put up stockings; and on Christmas eve we not only put out cookies and milk, but outside we put out some 'oats' (oatmeal) for the reindeer.

Of course, the cookies and milk are eaten, the oatmeal is partially gone and there is "magic reindeer dust" (gold glitter) and hoofprints (from this years deer) in the snow.

Fake tree....but we have alternated between fake and real over the years. This year is the fake tree turn.

We have a couple of primary colors and stick to that "theme". This year its blue and silver.

We have a few old wood ornaments that I really like and they must go on the tree.

I would prefer to have only the wood ones but have to admit to liking the "theme" idea Marilyn thought of.

Always have stockings hung and two advent calenders for the kids.

Christmas is going to be rough this year as both of us are working Christmas day and cannot get it off. The kids will be at Grandma and Grandpa's. We will be there Christmas Eve.

I really hate being at the jail Christmas Day....its depressing. But the inmates are usually well behaved so thats a bonus.

Have a very Merry Christmas all of you.

REAL!! For many years as the girls were growing up we went as a family to a tree farm and cut down our tree then had apple cider and signed the wallboard. Next year the girls would look for their signatures and we'd do it all again. We also had a tradition of getting each other a special ornament as a stocking stuffer so the tree has something for every year. Actually got a little cluttered so some of them don't make it out of the box any more but will be handed down when the girls get their own homes. This makes each tree very special. Now we are buying trees already cut because of the girls being somewhat grown (21 & 22) and not always home (University or working). We stil like the look and smell of a real tree.

Wayne

Fake for us. This year we will have grandchildren here that are old enough to understand whats going on around them. I think the reindeer idea sounds like it could be pulled off for a bit of Christmas wonder. Thanks for the sharing the idea. Real or artificial is a eye catching lead off for a question. I prefer real.:rotfl::rotfl::D

Fake tree. I don't miss picking pine needles out of the carpet when we haul it out. Besides, we got two of them at a local auction for a dollar. They were begging us to take them. They're decent trees too. Lori misses the smell of a real pine tree, but I don't smell them anyway. She tells me my nose doesn't work real well.

Traditions? Opening presents and later on calling any family who isn't there.

Real, from a local tree farm. Used to make the kids pick it out, then I'd cut it and we'd drag it home. Spend a day decorating the tree and house, usually a couple of weekends before Christmas. They'd get anxious about the 1st of December, asking when we'd put up the tree.

This year, I don't know; my daughter's moved out; my son has a car, a job, a girlfriend, and other interests; Amy's nickname is the "The Grinch"... but she did hang the lights outside Thanksgiving.

Ever since we put in new carpeting about 5 years ago we have had a genuine Canadian Pine made in Japan. It's the purdiest artificial tree we have ever seen. We buy a new ornament every year. We try to find something that represents the past year. This year I have a HD Ultra ornament (closest thing we could find to a RSV). When the kids were little we would take them to the in-laws house about 100 mi away on Thanksgiving. They would stay there, we would go home, put up the tree and decorations and bring them home on Sunday. My father in-law lived with us the past few years. It was his favorite time of year. He made a lot of ornaments and decorations we have. He passed away New Year's Day '06. The past two Christmases we've had a hard time putting up decorations. Kids are 15 now (twins) so there is not the excitement that goes along with having little ones in the house. We try to focus more on the "Reason for the Season" now.

Nothing about motorcycling. Just wondered how many have an artificial Christmas tree or a real tree.

Do you have a special tradition your family has this time of year.

Peggy:wow:

Real and the biggest we can fit in the house, usually a 12 footer. My three girls all come home and go with us to pick one out and usually wear the guy at the lot out standing up about a dozen before they make up their minds. It's a family event decorating and each has their own favorite ornaments to hang. We play the same Christmas carol cassette tape the wife and I made from some childhood albums (remember them?) on our first Christmas together. The house gets lit up like Chevy Chase's house in the movie Christmas Vacation with a big Manger display in the front yard to remind everyone what Christmas is really about. Our favorite time of year!!

It's the real deal. We have a cathedral ceiling in the living room which is 24 ft high. The first year my wife insisted I cut a tree that would touch the ceiling. Each year I have cut it a bit shorter. We are down to a more manageable 8 ft this year.

It's the real deal. We have a cathedral ceiling in the living room which is 24 ft high. The first year my wife insisted I cut a tree that would touch the ceiling. Each year I have cut it a bit shorter. We are down to a more manageable 8 ft this year.

geeez... I would have stayed with the cathedral ceiling... oh... you mean you cut the tree down to 8 ft!

:rotf:

Havent had a real tree in years, we first went to a large fake tree, then that got to be too much trouble with the kids grown and the grandkids doing their thing at their parents and us just hosting a little thing each year.

So we went with a smaller fake tree, but now we have the best thing. About a 2 foot tall, three piece tree made of painted glass or something like that with a lot of little lights sticking out of it. Takes up about 1 square foot on top of the TV cabinet. and one modest box in the closet.

Wife won't have anything BUT a real one....we also have a 3 foot wreath over the fireplace....get one special made every year.

Sam and I started a tradition of having Christmas here so the kids are used to coming over, my parents, her parents, anyone else who wants to stop by. My son just got engaged so his future in laws are invited and will be stopping by.

More the merrier.