IGNORED

Man down - first time

bmorcom

Just blew out the back tire on the highway. Almost made it standing. Used the grass bank instead of the pavement for the fall. Roughed up the bike a bit, luckily I am fine. Now to sit and wait for the wife to bring the truck so I can load it up.

Dang it..... so very glad that you are able to tell about it, could have been nasty!! Hope ya get it all fixed up and back on the road soon.

Just blew out the back tire on the highway. Almost made it standing. Used the grass bank instead of the pavement for the fall. Roughed up the bike a bit, luckily I am fine. Now to sit and wait for the wife to bring the truck so I can load it up.

Hey Brett,

Both Jean and I are really glad you are OK! Out of ALL the ways that coulda' turned out, I'd say that is the BEST "happy ending" you could have had! Would you mind sharing the type of tire and mileage on your tire to us? Had it been plugged? Did you notice any advance warning, or did it just "let loose"?

Thanks for sharing the details with us,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Brett,

Glad you are ok. Having a tire blow out is one of the biggest fears I have, especially if my wife is on the back with me. As others have said, please let us know the details so we will know what to look out for.

Thanks,

Inquiring minds would like to know what tire brand and model you were running. And thank God you are alright.

:farmer:

The tires were the Dunlop 404 and the were approaching 10k miles. I did notice a strange feeling earlier in the morning when changing lanes. Tire looked fine and pressure was dead on. It needs an inspection next month so I was thinking if taking it in tomorrow to have then pm look it over. My first set of dunlops lasted about 14k miles. I did not hit anything, just a loud popm followed by a high pitchef screaming noise and then the fish tailing. Guy to my right saw it and hit the brakes so I had room to move over.

My wife asked if it is worse when the front tire blows. Has anyone had that happen?

Well the Venture is a total loss. Time for a new bike. I stripped some accessories off the bime that I am going to sell. If anyone is interested in any of these before I list on eBay let me know. I will be selling the chrome trunk rack, chrome saddle bag top rails, brake light bar and a leather tank bra with two pouches.

I have read on here and the pashnit froum about riders have a tire blow or go down fast. I had this happen to me back in the early 80's on the interstate going 65 or 60 mph. It was a tube tire so it when down fast. About a month before it happen I had read a safety article in Rider Magazine. I did just what it said to do and came to a safe upright stop.

Do not hit the brakes rolling off the throttle pull cluch in. If it is the back move your weight has far forward has possible. If it is the front get your weight back has far has you can. Don't try to force it to get over "right now." Just get it slow down. When it get down to a to a craw then you can stop it.

This work for me I was in the center lane on a three lane hwy. When it got slow down to where the back end was not wable has much. I let it coast to a stop, nursing it over to the shoulder.

I had a front tire go flat from a nail while driving. When the tire went flat (I'm guessing) the tire wobbled quite a bit. (I immediately shut down the throttle) I remember I had to hold on tight maybe for a second or two till I got my speed down. Which lessed the wobble the slower I went. For a few seconds your heart races but after it was over it was a lesson learned.

Well the Venture is a total loss. Time for a new bike. I stripped some accessories off the bime that I am going to sell. If anyone is interested in any of these before I list on eBay let me know. I will be selling the chrome trunk rack, chrome saddle bag top rails, brake light bar and a leather tank bra with two pouches.

Also have a full cover, a Carb tune and the trunk bag with a rain cover.

Sorry to hear about your bike but super glad to hear that you are okay!! Yikes :yikes:

I too had a rear blow out a few years ago - something I hope to never repeat.

I am interested in the tank bra and possibly the trunk rack and carb tune. Could you PM me the details and what you are looking to get out of them?

For the tank bra - is it one that simply replaces the OEM one as a small-ish strip down the center or is it the big one that covers a large portion of the lower tank (between the rider's legs)?

The tires were the Dunlop 404 and the were approaching 10k miles. I did notice a strange feeling earlier in the morning when changing lanes. Tire looked fine and pressure was dead on. It needs an inspection next month so I was thinking if taking it in tomorrow to have then pm look it over. My first set of dunlops lasted about 14k miles. I did not hit anything, just a loud popm followed by a high pitchef screaming noise and then the fish tailing. Guy to my right saw it and hit the brakes so I had room to move over.

My wife asked if it is worse when the front tire blows. Has anyone had that happen?

An explosive decompression would be worse, especially at high speed.

Such an occurrence is extremely rare, fortunately.

Even a fairly rapid deflation is usually detectable and controllable, as you found out today. Most punctures deflate the tire slowly, and the handling goes bad long before it gets dangerous.

When it happens on the rear, like today, the fishtailing can cause a loss of control and the bike will normally go down on it's side. This can be bad but it's not as bad as the front blowing out.

At high speed that can cause complete loss of control in an instant, and no real knowing what will happen, but a highside isn't out of the question.

As I said, it's a very rare happening.

ps .... No, in thirty five years of motorcycling I have never had to experience a front tire blowout .... I have had punctures.

I just PM'd you. I may be interested in your top rails. Glad you're OK and I hope you like your new bike.