IGNORED

Let's try this again

Kirby

I posted this a few days ago on the Tech Forum and appreciate the responses from the few that tried to help out but no solutions has been found yet, so now I'm putting it out here for all to see. Maybe you have had this problem before and already know the answer, we'll see. Ok, here's the problem. When I turn up the volume to about 15 on the radio control, that's about as high as I need to go without being too loud in my headsets. At the same time my wife has to turn hers( the rear control) to max to be able to hear at all when we are out riding. I thought it might be in the helmet but it does this with different helmets. I've even taken one helmet and hooked it up to the front, adjusted the volume to where it almost too loud for me, unhooked it and plugged it in to the rear, and still have to turn it to max to be able to hear anything. This is on a 09 RSV. I thought it might be in the connections in the fairing, so I took them all apart, inspected , cleaned, put on some dielectric grease, but the problem remains. Really don't want to take it back to the stealer, I've been burned too many times! I guess I need also to mention, it's not got anything to do with the brand of headsets since I've tried IMC, Edsets, and some really cheap brands. The result is always the same. Anyone else had this problem???? Is this a common problem? I do have Mic-Mutes installed but I had this problem even before they were installed. One possible solution was to use the fader control for front to rear volume adjustment , but to my knowledge this only works with the onboard speakers. Once you plug in the headsets, the option goes away on the control module. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm making do with some IFrogz earbuds I purchased at Wally world yesterday for my wife to wear under her helmet. She's currently wearing a fullface with Edsets without the speakers. Still has the mic attached so we can talk pretty good without having the main control turned up so loud. Right now the main audio control is set at 13( which is high enough for me with my IMC headset) and with the earbuds her rear control is set at about half way which is where it really should be compared to mine. I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem????

Does her helmet work fine connected to the drivers plug?? if so, it only seems to me that the problem lies in the wiring to the rear plug ins, or her controller..........but, I don't know nutten to start with..........:think: wish I had the answer for you.

Silly question maybe, but you're describing using different helmets, not that you actually swapped positions. How do you hear when you're plugged into the back control and she in front? Maybe she has a hearing problem?

I can't see this being a wiring issue, seems like that would create skips and static. So I would be more inclined to look at a problem with the unit itself, which means "dealer time"

But what the heck do I know?!

Hmmmm, an '09, 5 year warranty, why are you burdening yourself with this issue when it is obviously the dealer's problem??

The issue has to be with the rear controller as you can't gain volume in the front from something defective, only loose it in the rear. I assume this same symptom appears using the intercom as well...

I have the same issue with my bike. The wife can barely hear in the back at a volume that's ringing my ears. And yep, we've tried switching helmets from front to back and trying different helmet speakers, etc. It's like the rear needs a small amplifier, but that's way over my head.

Ok, first off, she doesn't have a hearing problem. 2nd, Neither is it a helmet problem. I tried different helmets on front and rear and the results are the same. I've even taken one helmet and hooked it up to the front, adjusted the volume to where it almost too loud for me, unhooked it and plugged it in to the rear, and still have to turn it to max on the rear controller to be able to hear anything. 3rd, all connections (unless one slipped by me) have been checked, double checked, and greased. It's like the rear controller isn't calibrated to put out the same volume as the front, if there is such a thing. 4th, I use the bike every day so I don't wast to have to leave it at the stealer for days or weeks, who knows. That's why I came to you guys. Yamaha may have to go through an act of congress to decide if they even want to cover it or not! I'll eventually figure it out, it just takes time. Thanks for all your input.

I dont have helmet comms on my 83 and not sure how they work, but I would suspect a power problem-low voltage, to the rear controller of the rear controller itself.

The idea behind this is you are getting signal from the main control to the rear, just low volume, but it is working. I expect low volts to the rear amplifier, or failure of the rear amp internal power regulator itself.

Just a thought being unsure how it really works.

I have the same issue with my bike. The wife can barely hear in the back at a volume that's ringing my ears. And yep, we've tried switching helmets from front to back and trying different helmet speakers, etc. It's like the rear needs a small amplifier, but that's way over my head.

Mine also, She can't hear unless I turn it up to about 20 or so. I found a lower cord that has a plug in it for ear buds so I am going to try that and do away with the speakers in the helmet. If that works then I will get me one also and do away completely with all the speakers in both helmets and use the ear buds for both of us,

Since my wife got the earbuds the other day we've taken a couple of 100 mile rides and they work great for her. I don't really know what the law says in the state of Georgia about an operator of a motor vehicle using earbuds or headphones for that matter. But since I'm using the headsets and she is using the earbuds, I don't think there is a problem with the law. Earbuds are much more efficient than speakers in the helmets because they fit down in the ear canal. This way you don't have to have the volume turned up much at all while at the same time acting like ear protection by reducing all other noises. I'm still gonna look into the suggestion about a low voltage problem back there. Thanks again guys. Also , I see I'm not the only one that has this "problem".

As I read the law, the operator is only legally able to use the helmet speakers for 2 way comm. listening to music with any type of in helmet speakers or earbuds is illegal!! But we do it anyway, just thought I would pass that along.

Georgia Laws Regarding the Motorcycle Operator and Riding

Under Georgia code 40-6-315, you must wear a state-approved helmet, along with suitable eye protection unless your cycle has a windscreen. You are not allowed to listen to music while riding, but you can use helmet speakers for communication.

Since my wife got the earbuds the other day we've taken a couple of 100 mile rides and they work great for her. I don't really know what the law says in the state of Georgia about an operator of a motor vehicle using earbuds or headphones for that matter. But since I'm using the headsets and she is using the earbuds, I don't think there is a problem with the law. Earbuds are much more efficient than speakers in the helmets because they fit down in the ear canal. This way you don't have to have the volume turned up much at all while at the same time acting like ear protection by reducing all other noises. I'm still gonna look into the suggestion about a low voltage problem back there. Thanks again guys. Also , I see I'm not the only one that has this "problem".

I have had that problem from the start. Wife's audio is at MAX volume, but that poses a miner problem for me. Wifee sits in a sidecar with head and helmet & mic closer to the engine and muffler, so her mic picks up and amplifies the noise coming from the bike. Haven't figured out how to reduce the ambient noise short of enclosing the sidecar, not an option.

Rick Ashley (sidecar):Venture:

As you know the maximum volume that the rear controller can be set at is the current volume for the front. We never had an issue on our '07. From what you are describing I would be leaning toward an issue with the rear volume controller.

Dennis

As you know the maximum volume that the rear controller can be set at is the current volume for the front. We never had an issue on our '07. From what you are describing I would be leaning toward an issue with the rear volume controller.

Dennis

You know, you are probably right. I don't know why it would be designed that way though. Looks like it should have been left up to the individual controller.