IGNORED

Hand signals/waving

vicco27

Mrs. Vicco here…I’m curious about hand signals/waves. Most of the time, the approaching rider has their left arm extended downwards. Sometimes the palm is facing forward, sometimes the hand is flat with the palm towards the ground. Sometimes, the rider has his arm raised, bent at the elbow, with the palm facing forwards, but sometimes they’ll have their index finger raised. Occasionally, they’ll actually wave. Do the different methods have meanings, or are they all just biker-to-biker greetings and the difference is simply personal preference? Do people in different parts of the country prefer a particular type of wave?

Part 2 of this question: Yesterday, when we were riding, twice we met others riding two-up and in both instances, the passenger signaled with her arm in a downward position and pointing with two fingers. I didn’t think anything of it the first time it happened, but the second time caught my attention. Is this a new signal, a two-up to two-up greeting? In both cases, the driver didn’t wave, just the passenger. Thanks for any explanations you can provide.

Part 2 of this question: Yesterday, when we were riding, twice we met others riding two-up and in both instances, the passenger signaled with her arm in a downward position and pointing with two fingers. I didn’t think anything of it the first time it happened, but the second time caught my attention. Is this a new signal, a two-up to two-up greeting? In both cases, the driver didn’t wave, just the passenger. Thanks for any explanations you can provide.

That's kinda the way I do it all the time. Two finger salute starting from a relatively pointing vertical position, rotating toward horizontal and pointing forward....

Hi Mrs. Vicco,

For me, I give a "low peace sign". If I see the rider too late, it might be a hand-grip wave, or even just a nod or meeting eyes. The point, for me, is to recognize a brother rider. Ours is a small subset of society, and anyone who rides is more likely to have something in common with me than a cager. They get my respect.

As far as passenger waves, I admire the passenger who is aware enough to give recognition too. Frequently, she's the one looking around and she sees me and waves. Somehow, my wife rarely sees oncoming bikes. When she does, she also throws a sign. I like to see passing pairs who are both waving, so I'll sometimes tap my wife's leg to get her attention away from Facebook or whatever she is doing back there. Then we both wave.

Dave

Do the different methods have meanings,

Part 2 of this question: Is this a new signal, a two-up to two-up greeting?

None what so ever, and 2; no and no. When my rear waves, I don't have to, plus it gives her something to do.

People acknowledge each other differently so whatever they are comfortable.

New riders who don't want to let go of the grips will often just raise their fingers. Otherwise, quite often depends on a person's mood whether they put their hand out high or low.

I find that when I extend my arm with my hand up (like signaling a right turn) even the Harley and Wing riders will wave back !

As for the passenger getting involved and waving back... great... and how they wave is up to them.

I only wave if I recognize the other rider. I don't know when this all started but I have been riding 52 years and nobody did this until maybe the nineties. I have plenty to do just keeping my eyes moving on the road and surroundings and hankling my motorcycle.

:farmer:

I only wave if I recognize the other rider. I don't know when this all started but I have been riding 52 years and nobody did this until maybe the nineties. I have plenty to do just keeping my eyes moving on the road and surroundings and hankling my motorcycle.

:farmer:

Back in the '70's bikers used to wave. Back then it was a fist held up like in a "power" sign.

I always wave in some sort or another. I get so frustrated when other bikers see me and do not speak. That is down right rude I think. If there is possible danger ahead for the oncoming rider, I flash my headlights from dim to bright a few times. I think this is always known among everyone, bikers and automobiles. Which I will warn both of danger ahead.

Fuzzy

I always wave. Generally by two fingers pointed down, but that's just because it's comfortable to me. The reason I wave to other riders? I want them to know I've got their back if they have a breakdown or other trouble. Also, I want to know I can depend on them. We're much more vulnerable than anyone else on the road and we really have to stick together. Whether you want to call it a brotherhood or not, we do really all need each other and I want you to know that you can depend on me.

I always wave. Generally by two fingers pointed down, but that's just because it's comfortable to me. The reason I wave to other riders? I want them to know I've got their back if they have a breakdown or other trouble. Also, I want to know I can depend on them. We're much more vulnerable than anyone else on the road and we really have to stick together. Whether you want to call it a brotherhood or not, we do really all need each other and I want you to know that you can depend on me.

What elmicko said, me too. :7_6_3[1]:

Fuzzy

Raising the hand in a normal waving motion can be very difficult on a motorcycle at speed. The wind tends to grab the hand and arm. A low palm down tends to give the least wind resistance but sometimes control is easier giving a one or two finger point. I believe it is a matter of comfort and personal preference. Any wave acknowledges a fellow rider.

Mike

My buddy that we ride with lost his pointer finger on his left hand, He has been riding for years and always gave a low piece sign, Now the only problem is when he does this, his brain is telling both of his fingers to extend, this but since one of them is missing just his middle finger is extended and looks like he is flipping someone off.

So now he has to be careful to just give a full 4 finger waive.:)

We give him a hard time about whenever we get the chance,....

One finger pointing out (not the middle one) means "you 'da man" or something similar. Yes, inverted peace sign is keep 2 wheels down, you will get the receivership of a vertical hand slap, high five, low rider horizontal wave, etc!! They all mean one thing, HOWDY fellow biker!!

Back in the '70's bikers used to wave. Back then it was a fist held up like in a "power" sign.

Started riding in the late 70's! First thing I noticed was every biker waving at me using the "power" fist sign. Made me feel like I was part of a special group and today it still puts a smile on my face!

I usually wave with my right hand since I use the cruise a lot and it is free to wave. When I use the left I have started raising it up. I use to just throw it down and out but have caught myself being rather blase about it so I know raise it high!!