IGNORED

Whats up with "some" Harley riders

royalstar09

My wife and I went to Quincy il today and sitting at a stop light we had about 20 bikes, all harleys, pass by. We are on the RSV chilling at the red light and they had the green. I waved as I do to ALL bikes. Not a one would lift a finger, not even to flip us off. :no-no-no: They looked at us, then turned there heads. Even the wives on the ones riding 2 up turned their noses up :confused24:

I would hate to thing that a piece of equipment made me have such a complex that I would be ashamed to wave at someone riding something not labeled a harley. Next time I get the chance I think Ill ask one of them hard core harley guys to grab a standard tool set and work on his "hog" cause unless it is old school with a springer front end I am betting it has as many foreign parts as my Yamaha :whistling:

Awe come on now are you sure one of them didnt wave? We have a lot of them where we ride also. The wing riders are the worse. One time we were out and there was about 8 bikes at a stop sign and we waved and go nothing back no even the passenger waved. Must be nice to be that much better than eveyone else.

Richie R

I want to turn this around and ask you why it bothers you so much that theyd dint wave?

I wave most of the time and if I get no response i go about my buisness.I also hold doors for people that dont say thank you and always stop at crosswalks for elderly people to pass.

You are a gentleman as I believ I am. Go on about your buissness.

1 other thing. I think if the women would have waived they may have gotten a beating at thie destination.

Awe come on now are you sure one of them didnt wave? We have a lot of them where we ride also. The wing riders are the worse. One time we were out and there was about 8 bikes at a stop sign and we waved and go nothing back no even the passenger waved. Must be nice to be that much better than eveyone else.

Richie R

Yep 100% sure not a one

This should explain it all...As reposted from another thread on here.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture. :322:

I want to turn this around and ask you why it bothers you so much that theyd dint wave?

I wave most of the time and if I get no response i go about my buisness.I also hold doors for people that dont say thank you and always stop at crosswalks for elderly people to pass.

You are a gentleman as I believ I am. Go on about your buissness.

1 other thing. I think if the women would have waived they may have gotten a beating at thie destination.

It bothers me to the point that this is just yet one more example of how some people just have lost all respect for others. When you are on the river in a john boat a guy in a new Ranger will still wave when passing by. What is it with a harley that turns people into this type of a person??? It is a bike assembled in the USA with foreign parts. Nothing more, nothing less. Mental note to self here. Only stop and help bike riders i need so long as they are not on a harley??? Naaah I'd still stop to help :)

This should explain it all...As reposted from another thread on here.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture. :322:

:rotf: :rotf:

(1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.)

I am still trying to find this neat feature on my GoldWing..I better go to The GoldWing Tech Section! (LOL)

Its all good guys,I love the jokes.In our area its usually BMW riders and there fancy riding suits.

It bothers me to the point that this is just yet one more example of how some people just have lost all respect for others. When you are on the river in a john boat a guy in a new Ranger will still wave when passing by. What is it with a harley that turns people into this type of a person??? It is a bike assembled in the USA with foreign parts. Nothing more, nothing less. Mental note to self here. Only stop and help bike riders i need so long as they are not on a harley??? Naaah I'd still stop to help :)

A guy on a harley yesterday pulled over to see if I was ok when I was just looking at my phone .

In our area its usually BMW riders and there fancy riding suits.

Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing, but some of those will even wave here.

Not all riders wave back, could be many reasons.:scratchchin: I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I still wave, no matter who or what, if they don't wave back, well maybe next time they'll be more courtious.:confused24:

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob

Shoot even the Hell's angles down here acknowledge me (maybe I just look old and harmless), must have just been that group. About the only riders that do not acknowledge me sometimes are sport bikes and still that is a rare.

Went for a ride today. Passed several Harley riders. Waved at them all. Got snarled at. Guess they like to show off the bugs in their teeth. Did have one guy wave and yell. He was at the side of the road. It was an odd shaped wave, forefinger and thumb. He yelled something about a "looser". Perhaps he will be in a better mood once he gets his Harley going. Funny thing, I know some Harley riders passed him too, none stopped to see if he needed help, guess thats not cool.

I try to wave most of the time. Sometimes they wave back...sometimes they don't. No big deal. The one I remember most was the solo rider going west in Nevada on I-80 waving both arms above his head at us as we traveled east. I had to respond in same. There must have been 200 yards of sand and sage brush between the east bound/west bound lanes. Brought a smile to an otherwise boring ride. And yes he was riding a Harley... :thumbsup2:

In '09 I trailered the bike to Cody, and again out in the badlands of Nevada I was passed by a group of 6 Harley riders in one of those really tight formations. Scary, but it did look cool. Every one of them waved at this old guy dragging his bike down the highway. They didn't have to, but did anyway. Probably taking pity on an old man... :backinmyday::whistling:

I do not notice any failure to wave per motorcycle. Some do and some don't. If I am shifting with my hand on the clutch lever, I nod. Sometimes I am preoccupied with other data and don't even see whether they wave or not. This not something that HAS to happen and in other countries it rarely happens. GET OVER IT! No harm done.

:farmer:

I ride two completely different kinds of bikes. On one (the Venture) the Japanese cruiser riders wave at me. On my dual sport they ignore me as bad as the Harley riders and the BMW riders. When I am riding it I don't lift a finger until I see somebody elses hand go up since I am so used to being ignored. And now days I am probably riding it more than the Venture because it is a ton of fun,gets better gas mileage and will only cost about 1/4th the Venture to replace when its wore out. Just miss that stereo.

How about this? They are going thru an intersection, one of the most dangerous places on the road. Maybe, and just maybe, they were concentrating on cagers, pedestrian type folks,small dogs and God knows what else, never mind anything else I look for in these situations. I think I would give them the benefit of the doubt. And excuse me if I don't wave while ridng thru an interseciton. It only takes one bike in front of you that has to make a emergency manuvere to send the other 10 bikes behind you into chaos.

I ride through Alton all the time and never experience that. Now, that being said, there is an Outlaw chapter in Alton and Hells Angels chapter in Belleville.Maybe it could have been one of them, and they ignore everybody.

Awe come on now are you sure one of them didn't wave? We have a lot of them where we ride also. The wing riders are the worse. One time we were out and there was about 8 bikes at a stop sign and we waved and go nothing back no even the passenger waved. Must be nice to be that much better than everyone else.

Richie R

The Wing riders were pushing the "wave back" (WB) on the dash while at the same time getting the weather report. :rotf:

I usually get a wave back and give the wave. A lot of guys use the "down low" wave which is at times hard to see. The ones that don't wave back I chalk up to they didn't see or they're jealous of my bike.

How about this? They are going thru an intersection, one of the most dangerous places on the road. Maybe, and just maybe, they were concentrating on cagers, pedestrian type folks,small dogs and God knows what else, never mind anything else I look for in these situations. I think I would give them the benefit of the doubt. And excuse me if I don't wave while ridng thru an interseciton. It only takes one bike in front of you that has to make a emergency manuvere to send the other 10 bikes behind you into chaos.

We can go with that :thumbsup2:

When I still has my 85 wing it was a stinking hot dayi was out in middle of nowhere after a 4 way stop pulled over to take a big drink of water when bike kind of sounded funny. Said funny sound was a Harley rider that has saw me pull off a.d stopped to check on me.

So there are normal ones out there. He was not ridinh in a herd though maybe that is the difference.

Bob

Marshall, il

I don't wave much anymore. There's so damn many people now who ride, I may never be able to touch the left side of the handlebars again if I waved at each and every one of them.

Most all of the guys I ride with wave, and 95% of them ride the HD's. I agree with flb, in SD especially close to Sturgis time, there are so many bikes its hard to wave at all of em. But I still try to. So if you meet a sedona orange road glide coming at you, and he waves, it might be me.......

I am sure that out of all 20 Harley riders, there were more than a few that at quick glance didn't know if they were looking at a Harley or otherwise. My guess is they were probably not waving at anybody else. I am not feeling any loss from these kinds of riders. Their loss not ours.