I have been using the NAPA Gold filter on the RSTD with Shell Rotella 15-40. Good enough for a 500 HP diesel then it must work well in a bike. Same or better SAE values.

What is the general concensus on filter brands? I am switching back to K&N oil filters. Always had good luck with them and the Harleys. Or is NAPA (made by Wix) OK?

How do they stand up to the Yamaha OEM brand? I'm thinking warranty-wise.

99.9% of the oil filters sold by jobbers (NAPA, Walmart, AutoZones) are made to cover the original manufacturers specs. The OEM cannot by Federal law deny warranty because a certain filter (the bike or car manufacturers) was not used. Caterpillar tried denying warranty because a Cat filter was not used at the maintenence schedule. They got wacked with some heavy fines and lawsuits over that one.

You can use any reputable filter or oil and still be covered under OEM warrantY. The product must meet the OEM's specs.

Thats the law.

How do they stand up to the Yamaha OEM brand? I'm thinking warranty-wise.

When my RSTD's engine cratered, the dealer made big noise about my using a non-Yamaha filter and "unknown" oil. I had been servicing the engine myself, after the dealer closer to me seemed increasingly inept. Ultimately, the bike was repaired under warranty.

No matter what brand you use, please keep receipts to demonstrate that you were following the recommended service schedule. I know lots of people extend the period between oil and filter changes, and I now think that is perilous.

FWIW, oil filters and oil choices are one of the more hotly debated topics here. Everyone has an opinion and is glad to share.

Dave

When my RSTD's engine cratered, the dealer made big noise about my using a non-Yamaha filter and "unknown" oil. I had been servicing the engine myself, after the dealer closer to me seemed increasingly inept. Ultimately, the bike was repaired under warranty.

No matter what brand you use, please keep receipts to demonstrate that you were following the recommended service schedule. I know lots of people extend the period between oil and filter changes, and I now think that is perilous.

FWIW, oil filters and oil choices are one of the more hotly debated topics here. Everyone has an opinion and is glad to share.

Dave

Very good advice Dave. Keep your receipts.

Here is an article that examines oil filters, I found it to be very helpful in determining which filter I use on my bike.

I use a HiFlo 303 filter and haven't had any problems.

I buy my filters from PowerSports Superstore and the last batch was $4.95 ea plus shipping.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/

Edited by Primebeef

You can use any reputable filter or oil and still be covered under OEM warrantY. The product must meet the OEM's specs.

I'll just make a comment on the oil. Most autos these days have roller tappets because oil makers are dropping the amount of phosphorus and zinc (ZDDP) in oil because of the EPA. Our bike engines still have flat tappets and higher levels of zinc & phosphorus are needed for them. A lot of us use Rotella (I used to) and it used to have enough ZDDP but even it has dropped below the level we need. I don't know how the spring pressures compare between the Royals and Road Stars but a small percentage of Road Star owners have had lifter failures. The lifter base and cam lobe worn away. It could be a combination of the extra heat, higher spring pressure and low ZDDP. It was enough that I have decided to stick with Amsoil or Mobil 1 cycle oil. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have between 1600-1700 ppm which is great. Rotella used to be at 1300 ppm which was a bare minimum for flat tappets. It's 200-300 below that now. You can see from this chart what regular auto oil is now. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

FYI, it's also something to think about if you have an older flat tappet car.

99.9% of the oil filters sold by jobbers (NAPA, Walmart, AutoZones) are made to cover the original manufacturers specs. The OEM cannot by Federal law deny warranty because a certain filter (the bike or car manufacturers) was not used. Caterpillar tried denying warranty because a Cat filter was not used at the maintenence schedule. They got wacked with some heavy fines and lawsuits over that one.

Thats the law.

The above is a bit misleading IMO. Not one of the Automotive Filters that "FIT" our motorcycles is specified or approved for use on a Motorcycle or listed as an approved replacement by the FIlter manufacturer for the OEM Yamaha filter. One member even contacted Purolator about the PL 24612/10 automotive filter and using it on our bikes and Purolator refered him to the appropriate part number for their line of Motorcycle filters. That is posted here somewhere in one of the many oil and filter discussions.

So assume you had an oil related failure using the Purolater Automotive filter on our bikes, and it was proven that the filter caused the failure, Yamaha could deny your warranty claim since the filter is not specified for a motorcycle application by Purolater. If you then went to Purolator to get them to pay, Puralotor would also point out that filter is not a specified replacement for the OEM filter on your bike and would point you to their cross reference list of approved Motorcycle filters you could have chosen.

Dave's Roxie had a broken rod with no apparent bearing failures. The nature and type of failure does not sugest it was oil related. If Dave had a bearing failure on his engine, the filter and oil he was using would have been under much closer scrutiny.

Yamaha specifically details in the Owner's manual NOT to use CD (diesel) rated oils in these motors. So you have no Magnuson Moss protection using this type of oil as it is not specified for use by the OEM.

The MSRP on a OEM yamaha filter is $10.98. They can be had at online at boats.net for 7.98 each and likely cheaper at other high volume OEM online parts dealers. Last time I checked the Purolater Gold Automotive filter that "FITS" at Advanced is 6.95. The premium longlife version of the Bosch 3300 is 12.99. More money than the OEM filter and not a specified replacement for it. The use of the automotive filters does not really represent a huge savings in the grand scheme of things but they are convenient since you can run down the street and pick one up. Many people here have used the Automotive filters with no reported problems.

If your bike is still under warranty you should carefully weigh out the risks and benefits of the maintenance products you elect to use. The oil change interval is 4000 miles. Whatever you use, keep all the receipts. If you keep the bike 100,000 miles that's 25 oil changes. The differential between MSRP at 10.98 for OEM and 2.97 for the Super tech is 8.00. You should decide if saving $200.00 over 100,000 miles is worth it. Keep it less miles, or choose different filters and the savings are less or non existant.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

Guest scarylarry

Yamaha specifically details in the Owner's manual NOT to use CD (diesel) rated oils in these motors. So you have no Magnuson Moss protection using this type of oil as it is not specified for use by the OEM..

Your right and many of of us use it and Shell states JMASO on the jug..

So with that being said, will it damage the clutch?

30k miles on mine and no problem.....So far

I think most people here use Rotella and on most forums it is the choice oil...

Or is the MC ind. getting smart and just adding that....:confused24::confused24:

Yamaha specifically details in the Owner's manual NOT to use CD (diesel) rated oils in these motors. So you have no Magnuson Moss protection using this type of oil as it is not specified for use by the OEM..

Your right and many of of us use it and Shell states JMASO on the jug..

So with that being said, will it damage the clutch?

30k miles on mine and no problem.....So far

I think most people here use Rotella and on most forums it is the choice oil...

Or is the MC ind. getting smart and just adding that....:confused24::confused24:

I am also currently running the Rotella Synthetic and a Bosch 3300 filter (the one that costs more than OEM Yamaha filter). Rotella is great stuff. My bike is also out of warranty. Not sure what's in a CD rated oil that they don't like. Not all CD oils are JASO and not all JASO oils are CD rated.

The point of the above quoted statement and my rather long winded post was not to disparage anyone's use of a specific product but rather to illustrate that Magnuson Moss gets thrown around rather loosely on occasion and may give people the wrong idea that if they use an Automotive filter that it won't void their warranty. I don't think you can get any one of the Auto filter manufacturers to tell you that filter is approved for use on our bikes.

These motors are essentially bullet proof and will run as long as there is oil and water in it. People with in warranty bikes should weigh out there choices.For the first five years its in warranty, is it worth running a non approved filter or oil? Everyone has to make their own decision on that one.

RSTDdog

Guest scarylarry

Thanks, I too use a super tech but keep a yammy for a back up...

Hell since I started using rotella and have some left over out of each jug, I been using that in my mower no problems there either..

Mower will cut all by itself now. :rotf::rotf:

• 3 weeks later...

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.

Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.