IGNORED

New Owner

Steveb1959

Hi,

I pick up my 2008 Venture S tomorrow! I am really looking forward to it. I will be picking it up in Canby, Oregon and riding to Tacoma, WA. I hope the weather holds. This is the second Yamaha I have owned. The first was a XV920J that had starter problems it's entire life, but it was fun to ride. I am moving to the Venture from a BMW K1200LT that I purchased new last year that just did not work out for me. The bike I am getting is bone stock so I am looking forward to reading about the types of add ons and modifications that are available. The first will be some type of GPS, I am sure there are many opinions and I welcome getting them.My other bikes are:

2005 Honda NRX1800EB (For Sale)

2009 BMW K1200LT (Soon to be gone)

(2) 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom ( 1 for sale)

1981 Honda CB750K w/116 original miles (will be on market soon)

1975 Honda CB400F

1976 Honda CB400F

1977 Honda CB400F

1982 Honda XL185S

Honda XR70 (Grandaughters)

Honda TRX 90 (Grandaughters)

I am in the prcess of thinning the herd.

Steve

Hi,

I pick up my 2008 Venture S tomorrow! I am really looking forward to it. I will be picking it up in Canby, Oregon and riding to Tacoma, WA. I hope the weather holds. This is the second Yamaha I have owned. The first was a XV920J that had starter problems it's entire life, but it was fun to ride. I am moving to the Venture from a BMW K1200LT that I purchased new last year that just did not work out for me. The bike I am getting is bone stock so I am looking forward to reading about the types of add ons and modifications that are available. The first will be some type of GPS, I am sure there are many opinions and I welcome getting them.My other bikes are:

2005 Honda NRX1800EB (For Sale)

2009 BMW K1200LT (Soon to be gone)

(2) 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom ( 1 for sale)

1981 Honda CB750K w/116 original miles (will be on market soon)

1975 Honda CB400F

1976 Honda CB400F

1977 Honda CB400F

1982 Honda XL185S

Honda XR70 (Grandaughters)

Honda TRX 90 (Grandaughters)

I am in the prcess of thinning the herd.

Steve

First dib's on honda CB750K 1981 let me know and will see if we can strike a deal. (WELCOME,WELCOME TO THE CLUB)

Joe star4772 :fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by star4772

So Steve, I'm guessing you got home OK with your RSV. How do you like it so far?

The bike was beautiful. It was quite different from anything else I have ever ridden (My current rides a Honda Rune and a BMW K1200LT). This bike is replacing the BMW that I got last year. The BMW is an amazing bike but I have had nothing but problems from day 1. Anyway, It was about a 2 1/2 hour ride home. Rained most of the way. The bike ran great. I had a problem with water clearing off the windscreen (both outside and inside) so I would have to peer around it often. My torso stayed relatively dry, the outside of my legs and helmet got wet. I put around 210 miles day one. Checked my mileage, it was a little over 45 MPGs. Because of weather I rode fairly tame (under 70). I gotta say the more I ride this bike the more I like it. As soon as I get used to floorboards instead of pegs) I keep putting my feet straight down looking for them) I think I will be good. The BMW turned just by thinking about it, does not work with this bike, not that it does not handle well but you do have to tell it where to go. I will be shopping for Highway pegs for longer rides. I have seen some that look like doubles (kind of a stirrup and a toe rest) and that looks like it would give me the most flexibility. If anyone knows about these or variations of them I would be interested in info. The front brakes squeeked slightly when I got the bike and now there is a loud scraping noise when I use the front brake. I do not know if this is brake dust, something caught in the pad, or worn out pads. Bike had just over 6K. Like the bike a lot. Want some chrome add ons, a tachometer, a GPS, a clock, luggage rack. Where do you guys buy your stuff, some sites want stupid money for anything that says motorcycle on it. Looking forward to feedback!

Steve

Congrats on the new ride Steve!! I hear the 2008 model is the best you can buy (I might be biased). As for the brakes mine are noisy too. Might try some of the stuff mentioned around here or I might just replace the stockers with something better.

Enjoy the new scooter!!

Frank

Congratulations on the new bike. These are great bikes I never road with floor boards before I bought my 2008 S was weird to start but no way would I go back now. By the way there is a clock on it hold the botton beside the reset button for 5 second s and bingo, my front break has been noisy since it was new :confused24:Have fun

John

The bike was beautiful. It was quite different from anything else I have ever ridden (My current rides a Honda Rune and a BMW K1200LT). This bike is replacing the BMW that I got last year. The BMW is an amazing bike but I have had nothing but problems from day 1. Anyway, It was about a 2 1/2 hour ride home. Rained most of the way. The bike ran great. I had a problem with water clearing off the windscreen (both outside and inside) so I would have to peer around it often.

Clearview windshields has an excellent replacement shield for the RSV. It angles back several inches rather then upright and it can be ordered with a vent.

My torso stayed relatively dry, the outside of my legs and helmet got wet. I put around 210 miles day one.

Lower fairing vent shield should help that problem a bit as well as BuddyRichs deflector which mounts to the top of the lower fairing. BuddyRich is a member here in Texas.

Checked my mileage, it was a little over 45 MPGs. Because of weather I rode fairly tame (under 70).

Mileage will go down over 70 mph because of the 4 carbs. But what the heck, theres always a price for greatness....LOL

I gotta say the more I ride this bike the more I like it. As soon as I get used to floorboards instead of pegs) I keep putting my feet straight down looking for them) I think I will be good.

I did that too when I went from an 83 Venture to my 99.

The BMW turned just by thinking about it, does not work with this bike, not that it does not handle well but you do have to tell it where to go.

If your bike still has the factory Bridgestones on it, once you swap them with a set of Avon Venoms, it will handle much better.

I will be shopping for Highway pegs for longer rides. I have seen some that look like doubles (kind of a stirrup and a toe rest) and that looks like it would give me the most flexibility. If anyone knows about these or variations of them I would be interested in info.

Im running the highway pegs from Kuryakyn. Works great. You may also want to check out Carbon one's front engine guard bracket. It ties the front floorboard in with the engine crash bar for a much more flex free fix. Carbon one as well as Buddy Rich is listed in the classified section.

The front brakes squeeked slightly when I got the bike and now there is a loud scraping noise when I use the front brake. I do not know if this is brake dust, something caught in the pad, or worn out pads. Bike had just over 6K.

Stock front pads should last about 30k but they are notorious squealers. Once replaced with EBC HH pads it will quiet down

Like the bike a lot. Want some chrome add ons, a tachometer, a GPS, a clock, luggage rack. Where do you guys buy your stuff, some sites want stupid money for anything that says motorcycle on it. Looking forward to feedback!

Steve

We are very good at spending your money for you. There are various member vendors as well as outside vendors for parts purchase. On the banners on the top of the forum pages show some of the supporting vendors. Other vendors include phat performance in california, JP Cycle, Competition accessories, Jake Wilson etc. I dont have the time to post links right now but im sure some others will. Ill post some later for you. Welcome to the club!!! And enjoy your new ride.:smile5:

Edited by Ruffy

YOUR HOOKED! THE RSV WILL DO THAT TO YOU.AND YES THE STOCK BRAKES SUCK.GO TO THE EBC'S AS SOON AS YOU CAN.BETTER STOPPING AND NO NOISE.ALSO DON'T FORGET...THE MORE CHROME THE SAFEER THE BIKE.GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RIDE.:thumbsup2:

Welcome to the asylum.

Let's see where to start...hmmmm....

1) Stebel horn instead of the stock beeper. Carbon One makes a great bracket that allows mounting in the same location as stock. (throttle side below the seat).

2) If you do your own wrenching (and with your collection of antiques, I'm sure you do) and use a jack instead of a lift bed, get the Carbon One lift adapter. This is money you will never regret spending. Oh, and get the one with legs.

3) Go to the local Honda car dealer and get a tube of Honda Moly60 grease. You will likely need to grease the rear splines and pins. Might need to lube the drive shaft splines too. Get one of the local VR guys to stop by and they can help the first time. There are some tricks to doing this that make it easy once you see it done.

4) Yup, as Ruffy said, get the engine guard braces. Your new bike will likely take a nap at some point and these compensate for some weak braces - it will save your lower plastics.

5) If you want to add a tach, search the classifieds for the gauge set. They install where the cassette deck is. (Unless you are overly fond of your Captain and Teneel cassettes).

6) Kuryakyn longhorns work well for the highway pegs.

7) Upgrade the stock headlight to at least the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Available everywhere - standard hi/low H4 IIRC.

8) If you like to do high mileage days, Buddy Rich does a seat modification that helps the tailbone. There are also several aftermarket seats available.

9) EBD HH brake pads!!! Check your rear pads. If the previous owner was a heavy rear brake user, they are likely tuckered out. Easy to change. They will also get rid of the squeak in the front brakes.

10) Wagner grill - do a search. Color coded radiator grill. There are also chrome ones available.

11) Tire upgrade from the stock Brickstones to the Avon Venoms or Dunlop Elite3. Stay away from the Dunlop D404s even though they are shown as a stock fitment in the Owner's Manual. They will not last over about 5000 miles.

12) Ride..Ride..Ride

There is, of course, lots more we can suggest. Our imagination and inspiration is only limited by your wallet.

Again, welcome.

RR

:322:I'm overwhelmed! Wow great suggestions. Guage set sounds cool. Had not even thought of the engine guard braces. Looks like a fun summer.

Check under the Classified section under "Vendors" for Ponch. He makes the gauge set, they are very cool. I'm going to order myself one shortly. Ron:cool10:

:322:I'm overwhelmed! Wow great suggestions. Guage set sounds cool. Had not even thought of the engine guard braces. Looks like a fun summer.

That is how I felt the first time I asked for help.... wait till they get to know you then they will start to really open up to you.... these guys are the best of the best.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...

Just wrapped up a 4000 miles 9 day ride. Tacoma, WA - Missoula, MT - Boise, ID - Pochatello, ID - Cedar City, UT - Grand Canyon - Las Vegas - Phoenix, AZ and return. Bike ran great, averaged 37-42 MPGs but was cruising at 85+ the whole way. Had to get new tires in Phoenix, the old ones were starting to show some wear and it was 115 degrees, I did not want to blow a tire. One thing I noticed, I started to get the Howl I have read about here, by the time I got to Phoenix it was almost unbearable, it completley went away after I changed tires (Dunlop Elite 3s). Couple of other things. The seat was awesome, 0 complaints. I have a huge knot between my shoulder and neck, I was in agony the entire trip, the handlebar reach just does not work for me, I think I will get the 1.5" risers and see if it helps. I got some cheapie Hwy pegs, they helped me stretch my legs but I will get some stirrup types before my next trip. I will get the guage set from Ponch, I did not realize how much I like having a Tach. The windshield gave good protection but would not shed water, I will get one with more angle and a vent. The guys I rode with all rode Harleys, loud Harleys, I could not tell if my bike was running and without a Tach starting off was a guess because I could not hear my engine. The Tach should take care of that problem, but maybe some pipes also :) I like my ride and I think I will keep it for a while!

I have a huge knot between my shoulder and neck, I was in agony the entire trip, the handlebar reach just does not work for me, I think I will get the 1.5" risers and see if it helps.

I had the same problem ... the risers made all the difference for me. I also angled my bars upwards as close to the inner fairing as I could.

I had the same problem ... the risers made all the difference for me. I also angled my bars upwards as close to the inner fairing as I could.

Glad to hear it worked. I don't think I could bear another long trip without some relief! The riser is number one on my list. Did you use the 1.5" from Barons? Did you have any cable issues?

Glad to hear it worked. I don't think I could bear another long trip without some relief! The riser is number one on my list. Did you use the 1.5" from Barons? Did you have any cable issues?

That's the one I used and I had no cable issues although some others have.

• 1 month later...

Ordered the Wagner Fiberglass grill Cover today, they look awesome and it looks like they will protect my radiator. Still have not decided on risers or new handlebars. I have been reading the threads and some have had cable issues with the risers and others have had a problem with the risers banging into the cover on top of the gas tank. I know I need to do something...