IGNORED

Leather Covered Levers

rumboogy

Just got my ironbraid.com leather covered chrome plated levers installed today. They turned out great! I have the two toned 2009 Venture and so I had the leather braids done in cream and black...turned out really well.

I also cleaned and lubed the clutch and brake while I had them off.

Here are a couple of pictures, sorry about the quality, I used my iPhone (didn't want to break out the camera).

By the way...what does the adjustment screw on the brake adjust? the brake light?

Sure wish my garage looked like that! Man, I gotta have a yard sale...get rid of a few wine bottles, beer bottles...whiskey bottles....empty chip bags, newspapers..oh, wait, they went out in the recycle today..the papers that is!

Seriously, beauty looking garage! And I like the bike as well, looks sharp!

gunk:shock3:

My buddy has those on his brake levers. Makes the brakes light up and flash, go dim and then come onagain. Drives me crazy following him with that light show.
And THAT is exactly whay they don't go well with cruise control!

I don't want extra stuff hanging off my levers but would like covers so that my fingers aren't black after a ride. I too don't understand the appeal outside of a kids bike but to each their own.

Frank

You DO know that the girlie-man stuff on the levers is gonna play havoc with your cruise control, right?

Goose

OK...I get kidded about the "fringe" on my bike so I'm used to that...I gotta give people something to talk about.

So...back to the cruise control. How does the leather lever covers effect the cruise (which I don't use anyway). Someone below mentioned about the brakes too. It's funny, because the levers I replaced also had leather covers with fringe...and not a single problem.

Strange...so how am I gonna have trouble?

Wally

Looks good, wanta know what you put on your tank to get it so shiny?

LOL...first off, I removed the badges...and that makes'em look shiny almost without any polishing. But normally, all I ever do is just wipe the bike down with a damp cloth. That's it, that's my secret (and good lighting). :rotf:

I don't want extra stuff hanging off my levers but would like covers so that my fingers aren't black after a ride. I too don't understand the appeal outside of a kids bike but to each their own.

Frank

You kinda hit the nail on the head...to each his own. Has nothing to do with a kids bike, although I like that analogy. But since you made the remark...it's also a reference to my Dad. He loved anything that flew in the wind...he made whirlybirds and on his Cadillacs, he would put a string (yep, a string with a knot in it) and he would say, "I love to see that thing shine when I'm driving down the road."

If you like them then it's good enough reason to have them. I almost stopped and put a pin wheel on one of my antenna the other day cause I thought my girl would get a giggle out of it.

Frank

P.S. now how do I get a playing card in my spokes? :)

I WISHED I had the baseball cards I used to put into my spokes...that would have been players like Al Kaline, Rocky Colavito, Gates Brown, Mickey Mantle, Denny McLain, Mickey Lolich, Willie Mays...you get the picture. I just wasn't old enough to have a Honus Wagner card.

So...back to the cruise control. How does the leather lever covers effect the cruise (which I don't use anyway). Someone below mentioned about the brakes too. It's funny, because the levers I replaced also had leather covers with fringe...and not a single problem. Wally

I think the concern is regarding drag. If the fringe is long enough or has enough surface area to get caught in the air curtain blowing by your bike, it can pull the lever back far enough to intermittently engage the electrical switches for braking. A fraction of a second later, your cruise control will disengage.

I have really long fringe on my Venture (16" past the end of the lever), but it's an '83 and therefore the cruise control is a manual throttle lock and is not adversely affected.

I've got braided leather covers on the levers on my Wing, but there's no danglies on it. I like the feel of the leather especially when temps are extreme!

Where does one find these to fit the Venture? Or are they a universal thing?

I like the idea of leather covers. Too damn hot here during riding season for gloves.

Frank

OK...never heard of that, but I guess it could happen. With the pull on my brake and clutch lever being harder than I would expect, I don't think I will have any problem with it...didn't have a problem with the old "streamers" and haven't had a problem on any bike I have owned.

Fringe - It's not just for sissies anymore!! I have black ones on my RSTD and they do mess with the cruise. But I like to twist the throttle way to much anyway. Ride on with your fringe bro and don't worry about the guys that are insecure with their manhood!!! LOL:stickinouttounge:

I have been down before and I do ride with gloves at times...but my usual motto is underdressed and under prepared. If I put on all the gear I might as well ride in a cage. Besides knowing my luck I will get run over in a gas station parking lot instead of dying on the bike.

Frank