I am looking at moving my TCI to the airbox but I can't see how to remove it from the stock location. I have the battery box out and don't want to remove the fairing.

Can anyone tell me how this thing is mounted?

Thanks

Two screws hold it to the bottom of the bracket that carries the coils.

The bracket is held by two bolts each side and they are behind the inner fairing.

You "might" be able to get it out with a 90 degree screwdriver, but those machine bolts are likely to be tight ...

... so sorry, the fairing has to come off! Unless you get lucky.

Thanks Twigg, I was afraid of that. My bike misses some when its damp out and the tach doesn't work. After a few minutes it all clears up and she runs like new. I suspect the TCI is collecting moisture and shorting out.

Rick

not recomending it to everyone but it worked for me. With the airbox out I laid a fw new unused paint rags over the carbs and used an adjustable angle shorty saw like plumbers use to cut of carriere bolts on the toilet. I put mirror on top of the rags and used it to line up the saw and then just cut the ears off the tci. It fell out in my hands and then rerouted the wires to the top of the airbox.

David

Here are a few pictures of what you got to deal with.

1st - looking in from right side, all fairings and plastic removed. Bolt in mid- upper left is one that holds bracket under battery box. Two bolts lower mid center are what holds coil bracket on. (2 each side). TCI bolted under this bracket.

2nd is looking from air box area forward. Battery removed, bracket in foreground is one battery box sets on.

Gary

Thanks Twigg, I was afraid of that. My bike misses some when its damp out and the tach doesn't work. After a few minutes it all clears up and she runs like new. I suspect the TCI is collecting moisture and shorting out.

Rick

Your TCI is absolutely collecting moisture. Sounds like the same problems I had and many other owners on this site. One way or another get the TCI out of the area its in. I would highly recommend you replace the diodes while you have it out. It's easy and save you the possible larger problem of electronic problems down the road. Not to mention no worry! I just ordered a working (I hope!!) one and will fix it up so I can have a spare.

Purchase another TCI box, mount it on the air box, remove the plugs from the stock box and plug into the new TCI. Job Done! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl, Such a simple solution. I have been kicking around doing the same relocation thing but was turned off by how difficult it could be getting the old TCI out. But this is great.

I think I'll even cut the TCI plugs off an old harness I have and use them to plug into the stock mounted TCI. That way I "should" have a spare already mounted, if it ever comes to that.

Thanks for the ideas,

I may try paintermans trick of cutting the TCI out since I sure won't be putting it back in there.

I am doing a road trip in a couple of weeks from PEI to Tennessee. :cool10:

Will be doing the Dragon and other noteable roads in that area, also planning on the Wheels of Time museum. Looking forward to it and hoping the bike is troublefree! So far, new oil and filter, greased driveshaft, changed rear drive oil, new plugs last fall, 2 new tires, brakes new last year.

Well, I tackled this job last night.

Ended up removing the battery, the glove box cover and radio cover, was able to remove enough screws from the fairing to get the 2 inner fairings off. This allowed me to remove the battery box bracket and coil bracket and then I could rotate the TCI to access the screws. These proved to be seized and I ended up using a hacksaw blade and vice-grips to cut the 2 mounting tabs off. With the TCI out the cabling was a perfect fit to the new location on top of the air breather. Spent a couple of hours and got it done.

I took the top cover off the TCI and there is some trace of moisture inside. The 2 connectors were somewhat corroded and I cleaned them and coated them with an contact cleaner. Next rainy day I plan to disassemble the unit and check the solder joints and diodes.

Whew!

I got mine out easily a month ago. I only removed battery box, front head shroud(easily removes to the riight), and lowers. Rest of fairing stayed. I have special 1/4" size phillips tips. Like for a cordless screwdriver...you need a #3 that have grooves cut in them. These micro grooves hold and allow you to apply more torque. Lowes and Sears sells them. NOW use a 1/4" drive socket wrench.OR You can use a 3/8" drive wrench w/adapter. and short ext. w/1/4 inch socket to hold the bit. A flash light and mirror and your fingers helps you locate the right side screw. Now get that animal lined up and push up as you turn CCW...it will come out. Do the same on the left...which is easier to see.

When I took mine out, I could unscrew one side but the other wouldn't budge, no matter what voodoo I tried. I ended up cutting off the tab and it came right out. I ended up cutting off the other tab once the unit was out and it helped the TCI fit on top of the airbox.

Purchase another TCI box, mount it on the air box, remove the plugs from the stock box and plug into the new TCI. Job Done! :thumbsup2:

Earl

I have been looking on line and the new ones seem to start at $750 and go up from there. :mo money:

I have not found a good used one anywhere yet.

Sounds a little pricey to save some wrenching time.

Does anyone have a good TCI that I can buy?

Does anyone have pics of the TCI on top of the air box???

Edited by Flyinfool

I moved my TCI to the wall on the left side. My bike is a standard and has an aftermarket radio/cd so I am not real sure how much room a Royale has in that area.

I just made an aluminum strap and a couple of screws holds it in place. I tried the top of the airbox and even with ears removed, it was still hitting the cover just a little too much for me.

It is a good idea to take a real good look at the connector as I had the red wire having a poor connection in the terminal.

RandyA

I moved my TCI to the wall on the left side. My bike is a standard and has an aftermarket radio/cd so I am not real sure how much room a Royale has in that area.

RandyA

Did pretty much the same thing that Randy did. Wrapped it in a static bag since it was close to the after market radio. Heard this may cut down on static. Screwed it into the inner fairing.

Even this one is no longer there, now that Ignitech unit is in place.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/DSC01128.jpg

Gary