IGNORED

Put Stratoliner Wheel on the Tour Deluxe Today

After seeing the idea in this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46995 I started looking for one. Found one from the Stratoliner S (RoadlinerS wheel is also the same)that was polished. Ultimately decided this was easier (and cheaper) than buying the painted Strat/Roadliner wheel and having it either polished or chromed.

Was able to get the complete rim with tire and rotors. The Strat and Roadliner rotors are full floaters so will be ideal when I do the caliper upgrade.

The tire is 130/70R-18. Its a radial and only has a 63H load rating (600lbs) versus the stock 150/80-16 71H loadrating (761 lbs). Haven't worked out yet how big a deal that is going to be if any as of yet. 130/70-18 is the same size front tire as the wing and it has the same load rating.

Since no one makes a 15" radial motorcycle rear tire, my choices are to run mixed radial front with bias rear or purchase a 130/70-18 Bias Dunlop E3 Front although the recommended rim width for the Bias E3 in that size is only 3 inches and the Strat rim is 4" wide. There is a 140-80R -18 front radial that is close to the stock OA diameter and width and fits a 4" wide rim. That would fill out the fender more.

Riding it, there doesn't seem at this point to be any noticable ill effects from the Size, radial, bias mix. That being said I'm in SOuth Florida- 11 turns in 318 miles- Not sure what it will feel like in the mountains or pushing it hard. The Slow speed handling is noticably improved as would be expected from the smaller tire. It looks to be over all about .8 inches shorter in OA height, something I don't really want, but it is what its unless I replace the tire.

These are all the caveats I can think of at the moment. As I ride it more may have some more input. Put some pictures here and put them all in a gallery.

RSTDdog

Hey Derrek,

That new rim/tire combo looks awsome! That is really thinking outside the box. I have the First Gen. and regularly run a 100/80/18 instead of the 120/90/18 on the front of my 87'VR with NO ill effects. (it does throw the speedo off!) It gives me much better cornering and makes the bike easier to handle in slow speed maneuvers. With the load capacity of that front tire at 3/4 of the weight of the entire bike, I don't think you will have much trouble with overloading it. I know this is not the best comparison, but the "darksiders" run the radial rear tires with the bias ply tires all the time with good results, I am sure time will tell if the "feel" is different. Being a person that fully enjoys having my bike "customized" for my style of riding and to enhance my ability to control it, I would suggest you ride that tire for a while, it the handling and control are acceptable, then go with it. From a visual standpoint, the rim/tire looks super cool! I would personally wear that front tire out before I would change it.

Excellent Mod! Thanks for the pics!:thumbsup2:

Earl

This may be another dumb Walter question :confused24:, but is that Strat tire mounted in the correct rotation? It looks similar to the Michelin Commander on the front of my RSV and the outside tread grooves on it are pointed in the opposite direction as your picture.

Thanks for all the responses. I can't take the credit for thinking outside the box though. That credit goes to user remmertb the OP of the link posted in my first post above. He did the leg and guess work to see if it would work. The looks sold me on the idea.

I rode it to work today, through construcion areas rough road surface seems to be fine. Hit the interstate and did 80 for a bit. Seems stable. Didn't have the windshield on, so I had a alot of wind blast at that speed.

"The Yamaha Raider comes from the factory with a Bias rear and Radial front.

I wouldn't worry about the bias vs. radial thing too much."

This is interesting. I did not know that. Thanks!

"is that Strat tire mounted in the correct rotation? It looks similar to the Michelin Commander on the front of my RSV and the outside tread grooves on it are pointed in the opposite direction as your picture."

Yes. I just went and double checked it to be sure. If you look, the E3 treads run that same direction as well.

The only real downside is one more shiny thing to keep clean...........:doh:

Derrek