IGNORED

Getting bike from Ohio to Florida. ??

Hello everyone, New here and excited about my purchase but confused.....I'm actually in the purchasing and transporting process at this time. I'm purchasing a 2007 Royal Star Venture in Ohio and trying to arrange to get it here to Florida. Confusing I might add. I have never done this before and I'm seeking suggestions if anyone has any. I'm excited about the bike but not about the process. Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Arrange to take delivery in Oberlin, OH on June 3rd or 4th.

Then just fly north, there will be plenty of folks to help you check the bike out to be sure it is ready for the ride home on the 5th.

:Venture:

This is the right thing to do. These bums...er...gentlemen will make sure everything is in great order for your ride to Florida. And you can see the pond monster!!!

:farmer:

Hello everyone, New here and excited about my purchase but confused.....I'm actually in the purchasing and transporting process at this time. I'm purchasing a 2007 Royal Star Venture in Ohio and trying to arrange to get it here to Florida. Confusing I might add. I have never done this before and I'm seeking suggestions if anyone has any. I'm excited about the bike but not about the process. Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Actually their suggestion to pick it up and go to the Maintenance Day is actually a very good suggestion. Fly in pick up the bike and meet all the crazyies that are here at Don's. They will bust their butts to help you and get you acquainted with your new ride.

You can't beat that for being friendly.

Bubber

I bought my current 1990 Venture Royal on e-bay last August - flew from San Diego, CA to Sioux Falls, SD, picked it up and rode just under 2,400 miles home to Hemet, CA. Had a great time - enjoyed every minute and mile of the trip and would do it again in a heartbeat! In fact I'm planning on a wandering circumnavigation of this great country within the next couple of months if all goes well. You bought it to ride so ride it!!:)

Claude in Hemet, CA aka Ltusmcret

I bought my current 1990 Venture Royal on e-bay last August - flew from San Diego, CA to Sioux Falls, SD, picked it up and rode just under 2,400 miles home to Hemet, CA. Had a great time - enjoyed every minute and mile of the trip and would do it again in a heartbeat! In fact I'm planning on a wandering circumnavigation of this great country within the next couple of months if all goes well. You bought it to ride so ride it!!:)

Claude in Hemet, CA aka Ltusmcret

You might want to consider the SCMA Four Corners Ride.

It's about 8000 miles, you are already at one of the corners, and there is time to sightsee on the way.

http://www.usa4corners.org/

If timing were a little better I would do the fly and ride, but as it is i just got back from vacation and I work for the Government so taking time off again would be difficult. Besides I have no riding gear, rain gear etc. I would really be pushed for time as well if i were to do the long weekend thing. Trust me though, my wife and I are already planning a trip to PA next spring to meet up with my brother. Also in the sale i gained quite a few additional items that need to be brought back to FL. as well. Stock pipes, extra new rear tire, and misc. other items. Transport looks to be the best option for me at this time. Thanks everyone.

I too bought my beauty online, from a guy on this site.

I flew to Baton Rouge LA and rode back to Chicagoland in two days, through tornadoes no less. You didn't say where in Ohio but, my ride was about 1,000 miles and I did it in two days with 750 miles on the last day, could have ridden more it was so comfy. So you don't need extra time, leave Fri. evening, ride back sat/sun, heck it's downhill!

Oh, ahem, based on my own personal adventure, be sure to check the tires' pressure before heading out for 1,000 miles. These bikes are big and handle so much better when the tires are at the right level. :whistling:

You could send the other stuff via cargo a lot cheaper than a bike, I'm guessing.

Good luck.

I'd be happy to ride it down there for you, but you'd have to pay for my plane ticket up there, and then for another one home - not really cost effective.

But it is not hard to find shipping companies that specialize in bikes.

Goose

You guys are convincing me in to the journey of fly and ride. Got one issue though. The bike has the original back tire which has 8100 mile on it. The seller is throwing in a new tire on a wheel( how he obtained that I do not know) with the purchase of the bike. I would need to find a place close to Canal Fulton OH-44616. to swap out the tires, He said the back tire is what it is. It may make it Florida and it may not. I figure a new tire with purchase i may as well get it mounted up there. Any suggestions?? Considering the seller would have to transport the wheel with tire to where ever i get it mounted. Thanks

You guys are convincing me in to the journey of fly and ride. Got one issue though. The bike has the original back tire which has 8100 mile on it. The seller is throwing in a new tire on a wheel( how he obtained that I do not know) with the purchase of the bike. I would need to find a place close to Canal Fulton OH-44616. to swap out the tires, He said the back tire is what it is. It may make it Florida and it may not. I figure a new tire with purchase i may as well get it mounted up there. Any suggestions?? Considering the seller would have to transport the wheel with tire to where ever i get it mounted. Thanks

I have no idea why the seller would have to transport anything for you (as long as the bike runs). That new tire/wheel combo will sit perfectly where the passenger normally sits.

If your schedule can fit, just plan on coming to the annual maintenance day/carnival in Oberlin, Ohio the first weekend of June - we'll get you completely checked out and fixed up for the ride home. And I'm sure you can find someone to ride with you at least part of the trip back.

Goose

I have no idea why the seller would have to transport anything for you (as long as the bike runs). That new tire/wheel combo will sit perfectly where the passenger normally sits.

If your schedule can fit, just plan on coming to the annual maintenance day/carnival in Oberlin, Ohio the first weekend of June - we'll get you completely checked out and fixed up for the ride home. And I'm sure you can find someone to ride with you at least part of the trip back.

Goose

Thats is exactly what I would do. I have a ride partially planed for the Memorial week end, or else I would try to be there (Don's Maintenance Day / a day when several get together,some mechanics by trade and so on, and work on our/your bikes. They have all the tools and know how to use them ).

If money and time are good with me, I am going to try anyway. These fellers here are top notch in my book, they have helped me so much with my bike. And no charge for the service. I have never met any of them personally, but feel as if I have.:2BLUE:

You could contact a dealership and have them pick up the bike for you. They could mount the tire and check the bike out before you get there.

I've ridden from Nashville TN to Daytona in 1 day and I'm sure you can ride from Ohio to Nashville in 1 day.

Where in Florida are you located? I'm in Miami and would love to ride with you some time.

When was the last time you rode? If it has been a while, the shipping option may be the best.

From where the bike is to Oberlin is only 55 miles. about an hour away. Changing tires and balancing, tune-ups and carb sync is all standard at Maintenance Day. And meeting everyone here is a big plus, well worth the extra time off. Fly in Friday, attend MD Friday and Saturday getting bike checked out and ride home Mon. and Tues. Oh and you can bring the wife also.

http://www.state8.com/locations.htm

State Eight is about half an hour away from Canal Fulton they have worked on my bike not too bad for a stealer.

Enjoy that bike but don't go out of your comfort zone to get it home.:thumbsup:

This is important.

It's easy for us to joke about "riding it home", but it's a long way, and you might notwant to do it, especially on an unfamiliar machine.

It won't be much cheaper than having it shipped, and it might well actually cost more.

There is absolutely no shame in just not wanting to do it :)