I have never had one of these apart, but have done alot of transmissions. Is it possible that a gear was flipped around the wrong way or a spacer washer put on the wrong side of a gear. somtimes a gear looks the same on both sides but a closer look the center bore and shoulder reveals a slightly longer shoulder on one side of the gear than the other.

We were thinking that as well. In this instance the gear has holes in one side for the dogs to go into so going in backwards is impossible for either of the two gears. The larger of the two gears goes on the shaft and butts up against a shoulder then a washer and spring lock. There is no spacer on the shoulder side. Then the second gear goes on the shaft and that one has the dogs so can only go one way. Then there is a bearing which also goes up against a shoulder and then the heavy spring which needs to be put in with a press so that the split washer can be inserted. So this long story just to say that the two gears that are touching are the only two in that section. The only way that the gear could be in the wrong place would be the whole shaft is in the wrong place. We can't see how that could be once the unit is assembled and put into the casing there is a large bearing that sits flush with the end of the casing and is held in place with a flat bracket and screws.

In response to mixing parts from gearsets, I know he did. I sent him two gear pairs from my 1200 gearset. Dano undercut them and he used these with his shaft.

Picture shows what I sent.

Gary

So, i guess the Shift Drum was the from the old (mounted) Gear Set ??

I mixed up Gearsets between a FZ750 and a YZF 750R Motor. Which are supposed to be the same except 1st Gear Ratio and also fitting to the FZ Motor.

Well they are, but there where slight Differences and in the End, we took the Shift Drum which gave the best Clearance and shifted the best.

What I'm trying to say, these Trannies are like a mechanical Clock Work, if you mix up Things inbetween two Gear Sets, take a very close and a second AND a third Look before you call it OK.

I'm very sorry this happened to Wizard's Motor, but it look like you're on the right Way.

Wayne,was it the bolt I gave you?:confused24: I will pray for you and your bike brother!!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Hey Ray:

PRAYER WORKS!!!

SHE'S ALIVE...

So after some word experimentation and a lot of persuasion her engine is back together and in the frame. She started right up (on 2 cylinders at first). Now lots of smoke when she warms up but it's just burning off the oil left on everything. So almost all the rest of her body is together. Should be up for a test ride on Saturday.

a big Thank You to everyone who helped but most of all to my friend Carl....

:cool10:YAHOO!!!

:cool10:

a big Thank You to everyone who helped but most of all to my friend Carl....

Glad to hear and hope it worked.

Good thing he is retired. Maybe he will start up his own motorcycle repair shop. :think:

Brad

Turns out,,, that maybe,,, just maybe the new split washer was a wee bit thicker than the old split washer, which then would make the second gear set run a little close, even on the original gear set, so in order to get rid of the problem I removed the engaging dogs on the smaller gear which seemed to be causing the problem. Now all is quiet and Wayne is very happy,,,,, at this point,,, I haven't told him this yet and he wasn't able to see it because I had the motor back together before he got here. Now 2nd is quiet, Wayne is happy and the 1st gen has a coaster gear so so that 2nd gens and others can have a legal chance to keep up,,,,,,,,, anybody looking to do this mod???? don't come to me, for I'm down the highway and over the hill, for I think someone may be looking to make big kill.

Actually I only removed about 30 mil to get the gears to clear and now all works just fine. Thanks all for your input and concern. Like the good book says: work and pray.

And oh the picture???? Yah, well that's another story!!

Guest Swifty

wow... I never ever thought a pair of old farts could get IT in and out THAT fast.

Are you offering a mentoring program that I can sign up for?

wow... I never ever thought a pair of old farts could get IT in and out THAT fast.

Are you offering a mentoring program that I can sign up for?

Didn't we call,,,, did you answer the phone,,,, come on , the truth now.