IGNORED

Check Those Rear Brake Pads!!!

V7Goose

It seems that not all new owners of these bikes are getting the timely warning about how fast the stock rear brake pads wear out.

Last Saturday we had three relatively new owners show up at the mini maintenance day who had not heard this - all three had between 12K-17K miles on their bikes, and the rear pads were shot on ALL of their bikes! At least two were actually metal-to-metal on the inside pad - can't say for certain on the third - his looked to be down that far when I inspected it, but I did not see the pads changed.

Anyway - consider this just another attempt to get the word out to anyone who has not heard it yet - the stock Yamahaha rear brake pads will be GONE by 12,000 miles (especially the inside pad, which always wears faster)! If your 2nd gen bike has less than 20,000 miles on it and you do not KNOW that the rear pads have been changed to something other than stock Yamahaha pads, check them NOW!

Goose

(This is not a problem with the front pads - even stock front pads can be expected to last 40-50,000 miles.)

Edited by V7Goose

Thanks V7Goose,

I do not post often but I read almost every article written, I too some how missed that, bought my Venture new, just turned over to 14,000 miles guess what I will be checking when get home. :fingers-crossed-emo

John

I must be doing something wrong. Checked the front and back brakes the other day and they still look practically new. I was so sure that they would be worn out that I bought a complete new set before I even looked at them. Got 24,000 miles on the bike right now. :happy34:

That is almost like miracle. Did you actually PULL the rear caliper where you could really look at the inside pad?

If your asking me Don, yes I pulled the caliper and took the pads out for inspection. Both pads were the same thickness and had plenty of material left. I just cleaned/lubed everything back up and re-installed.

I've heard that brakes are a bit like tires in that they tend to wear faster when they are towards the end of their life. I'll pull them again this winter.

Don't know if this applies specifically to the RSV but here it goes.

Took my brothers GMC Rotors off last week and had them turned on a lathe by an old timey Mechanic. He said to make sure to lay my calipers on the side, pull the rubber gasket up slightly and get some Bralke fluid behind that seal. Sure enough every one of them had a slight rusty colored powder behind the seal. He said most people don't do that part but if your brake piston rusts on the outside it will take out the internal orings.

Another tip... Keep that high pressure car wash away from your calipers as you will blow the protective coating off the pistons. I did this to my Yamaha 400 RD years ago and had to buy the rebuild kit... Speaking of which ... do they even make rebuild kits for calipers any more? :mo money:

Bought my 99 in 03 from the dealer with 11k on it. The first time I rode it I heard a scraping noise coming from the rear. Rear pads were shot. Metal to metal. He was embarassed they didn't catch it and picked it up with a trailer and replaced them no charge.