IGNORED

Some will say "But they were only dogs!"

wes0778

Not silly Walt, when your heart becomes attached to anything, and it has to go to the next life, we will always grieve. We grieve for ourselves, and not for the ones that have passed. They are in a better place and we know that, but we are selfish in the fact that we want them for all times.

The saddest day I remember was when my Dad had to put his 17 year old Beagle down. I have only seen him cry 2 times in my life, and that was one of them. They will all be there waiting for us when we cross over....all the best to you and the family Walt.

Walt, sorry for your heartache. Never easy after so many years of being with pets. I still miss pulling into the driveway on the bike and not seeing my best friend wanting to great me. Take Care and God Bless.

I understand completely. We lost 3 in the span of four months a year ago. They were approximately 18, 17 and 15. All mutts found on the streets. We loved them all dearly. My condolences.

Edited by kartattack
typo

Guest scarylarry

Sorry about this wes, I can relate to where you are coming from.

Pam had a small dog when we got married and I said the dog is not coming in the house so we need to find it a home.

Long story short the dog is with us and me and him are closer than Pam and me, I love that little dog he has became my bud and the thought of losing him would kill me..

He has came closer to me than her and she raise him..

I am sorry for your loss.

I had to put my bassett down and I can tell you that it was the same feeling I had when I had to turn off the machines keeping my daughter alive.

Again I am sorry for your loss.

My condolences on your loss Walter. I feel your pain. I lost the love of my life last year. Patch was the coolest cat I'd ever known and prolly the coolest animal I've ever had the joy of knowing. She ranked up there with my kids and my husband. I still cry when I think of the loss in my life with her not around. Her presence carried me through the hard times, as well as the good ones. 8 years was not enough time. Then again I don't think 50 years would be enough.

No sir, they are not "just dogs". They are very much a part of the family and are missed long after they are gone. I can relate because over the last two years I have had to put down one of my German Shepards and lost the other in a freak accident and lost my poodle which was only 7 years old, he died in his sleep. I feel the pain every time I vist their graves in the back yard. Sorry for your loss and send my prayers your way.

Sorry for your loss. We put our old cat to sleep two weeks ago, he was 22 years old and with me me being the tough guy, I thought I could take it to the vet, needless to say when the time came I couldn't do it and the great wife that I have took him. She emailed me a poem later that day to me and our kids that helped us get through it.

If it should be that I grow weak and pain should keep me from my sleep.

Then you must do what must be done, for this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day more than all the rest, your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years, what is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so.

The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend and please stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me,

until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see, the kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve it must be you who had this painful thing to do.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I feel your pain.

Our 12 year old liver Dalmatian was put down midnight Tuesday night after a stroke took his ability to move and function an hour earlier.

He worked with special needs kids, always wagged his tail, loved to ride, was a constant companion and was my kids first pet ever picked out by them.

Yes, he was just a dog but was always giving to everyone around whether they were a stranger or not.

Will we miss him Yes.

[ATTACH]56264[/ATTACH]

Sorry for your loss. I say that having to put down your best friend is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. We had a 17 year old Black Lab, Sophie, that traveled around the country with us with our job, we even put it in the contracts..No dog, no deal. That was unbearable to see her go. On her last day we did everything she wanted, ate cheese, chocolate and let her drink Yeungling beer (her favorite). Took her for a long ride in her favorite truck, an old M37. We really miss her.

Sophie was a rescue, someone just dumped her off in the middle of road near our house. Since then we only get dogs from shelters, and found they are the best for us.

Brenda has even put her Yamaha V-Star 650 classic to good use in helping shelter animals. And I'm very proud of her efforts.

http://nationaldogweekbook.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/covers-for-critters-covers-a-lot-of-ground-and-keeps-shelter-pets-warm/

No, they are not "Just Dogs" to us.

Animals have an uncanny way of letting you know when they are ready to move on. You'll know it when you see it.

You're not kiddin'. We think Junior (see post #5 of this thread) had a stroke yesterday afternoon. Staggers when he tries to stand or walk, and is always leaning to the right.

He just lays there half scrunched up, but his head up and seemingly starin' off into space.

We're waiting for a call back from the vet for an appointment now, but we're pretty sure it will be his last visit.

Thanks for the poems, they are helping, now I need another kleenex.

Later, Scooter Bob

So sorry Bob....cant say anything more..too many tears.

:sign yeah that:

Sorry to hear that, Bob!!!

I still can't eliminate the "Oh, I still need to walk the dogs", thought before I turn in for the night. I hope time will help...:(

I can relate too. I put our Shepherd do a couple years ago. Saddest day of my life. 1st dog I ever owned.

Our 2nd dog is a purebred Bischon as a present to the kids from the grandparents. She has a heart issue that the vets rate 4/5. She can be a PITA at times, but also a very lovable dog. I don't know if she will ever get to live a full life and I know I will have to face putting her down again. It will not be a good day in our household when that day comes.

This one brought us comfort when we had to put our dog down.

Dogs in Heaven

Author Earl Hamner

An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt

road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate

in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy,

woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would

like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so

they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white

robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven"

he said. The old man was happy and started in with his

dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed,

I'm sorry but he can't come with you." "What

kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in,

then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful

companion all his life, I can't desert him now.

" "Suit yourself, but I have to warn you,

the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you

into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't

go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll

spend Eternity on this road " So the old man and

dog went on.

They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate,

just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Scuse me Sir,

my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in

and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course, there's

some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves

comfortable " "You're sure my dog can come in?

The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed

anywhere." "Would you come in if you had to leave

the dog?" " No sir, that's why I didn't go to

Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending

Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some

shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't

come in if my buddy here can't come too,

and that's final. "

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."

"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that

fellow down the road said they weren't?" "That was the

Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life

long companion for a comfortable place to stay.

They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late.

The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there.

GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all,

HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he

separate them in death?"