Guest tx2sturgis
I see all these touring bikes pulling trailers these days, was wondering how much weight can you actually pull.? I have an 86 venture 1300 and am wondering if it could pull a trailer with a dirt/dual purpose bike on it..??

Get a pickup, load em both in the bed, and have a nice trip!!

:rotf:

how much do the dirt bike weigh ? keep the trailer very low . towing other bikes is a little hard because of the high center of gravity , you will need a least 48 in. between the trailer tires , our bikes tow 400 lbs easily .

Hey I gave up and sold my truck when it started costing me over $100 a week for gas...

The goal here was to combine a road trip down to Tennesee on the Venture, then off-load a dual pupose bike and do a portion of the Trans-America Trail...Which would make for one hell of a vacation...

Maybe think about putting on a Reese type hitch, getting one of those hitches where you only put the front wheel of the bike into and see what she tows like. I would think though that you're asking for a lot. The weight is no problem, but as stated before the center of gravity would be my concern.

Guest tx2sturgis

I have a freind who used to use his Venture to pull a Ridley on a trailer behind him....but then the Ridley is a small bike without the top heavy nature of a dirt bike.

I dunno if the hassle and the wear and tear on the Venture would be worth the trouble.

You could always buy a BossHoss and pull BOTH the Venture and the dirtbike!

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't see center of gravity as a big problem, if the trailer/load is stable behind a car or truck, it would be stable behind a bike.

In otherwords, a safe load is safe, behind car or bike. Same with unsafe.

Have to disagree there. When pulling a bike hauler behind a cage, you are not affected as much by crosswinds, off camber turns, potholes, and long high speed sweepers.

If youre going to pull something thats kindve tall and top heavy in relation to the towing vehicle, it makes sense to lower the load close to the ground, which will then limit the ground clearance and break over angle.

Something like the trailer in a bag might be the answer..

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

It could probably be modified and shortened to accomodate a dirtbike...

This is starting to sound like it has never been done before with a dirt bike, hmmm, I do like the trailer in a bag, it looks to be very light weight.

As for cross winds, would that not be stabilizedby the axle of the trailer.?

I am thinking of the 3 points of contact- 2 wheels of trailer, and the hitch leading to the rear tire of the bike.. now with the bike being centred front to back over the axle would that not soak up most of the cross wind force.? Or do you think a stong side wind would apply "yaw" force on the rear of the bike.?

I don't think that it would be any problem at all if the wheelbase and tongue length are correct for towing a motorcycle and the motorcycle isn't over 400lbs. I would be afraid to tow more than that with a motorcycle. It is doable and the reply before me to lay the dirt bike down if top heaviness posed a problem. Good luck.

Keep in mind that what you're looking to do is vastly different than towing with a cage. A motorcycle has only 2 wheels as opposed to a cage with 4 on the road, and any sway from what ever may cause it, is going to be exemplified on a bike. The weight differential of a scooter is also very much less than that of a cage so anything that might comes to the 'mind' of a trailer will have a profound impact on the scooter.

That's all the big words I'm going to use.

Carl

Guest tx2sturgis
Lay the dirt bike down.

That might work...install an AGM (gel) battery, empty the fuel tank, lean it most of the way over...not all the way tho, because you might have too much oil seep into the cylinder...hmmm...install braces on the trailer to catch the frame and bars...could work, and youd then get rid of most of the top heavy/wind catching effect...

Loading and unloading would be more complicated...hey if you do this, get pictures!!

Strange concept although I have seen a Venture pulling a Venture. I will say that in pulling heavy things with a Venture you need brakes on the trailer. I know the bike will pull a lot because I ride Venture Trike (1200LBS) to pull a camper (4-500LBS) and can run 80 all day if I wish (&don’t get caught). But stopping is a whole different story.

Fred

:322:

i have trailered a yz 100 behind a fat bob , 1st i made a trailer 36 in. between the tires , straight axle , did not work , every time i turned a corner 1 wheel came off the ground , lots of fun !! made another 1 with 52 in 5 in drop axle 13 tires , also did a 4 in drop at the coupler , pulled the front tire , installed 2 eyes to run the front axle of the yz through pulled it all over the west , sold it and the yz to a guy at grand junction , co last i herd he uses a 1500 wing to pull it sometimes i see it in a bike mag .