I like seeing my engine through the side covers and so I removed the vented panels. The problem is the massive amount of heat that blows on my feet and legs during the summer.

I found 11" x 14" clear Lexan sheets at Home Depot for $3.49. They are the perfect size to make clear side panels. I made the panels and installed them yesterday. They work!

I would show you pictures, but, you can't see the clear panels in a photo! Maybe they will get dirty . . . :cool10:

Edited by GaryZ

Keep in mind, the side "ribbed" air panels provide an extra cooling effect to the engine heads..along with the coolant in your radiator.

I hope they dont get to hot if / when riding in real hot weather.. like 90 plus degrees...

I would like to see the pics when you can get them loaded up..

Keep in mind, the side "ribbed" air panels provide an extra cooling effect to the engine heads..along with the coolant in your radiator.

I hope they dont get to hot if / when riding in real hot weather.. like 90 plus degrees...

I would like to see the pics when you can get them loaded up..

I assumed that I could put one-piece panels on the VR since the stock panels closed up tight. My initial testing shows no additional water temperature build-up . . .

:)

Yeah I don't think there is a cooling thing going on there either. As I recall there was a nice Venture Line solid panel you could buy and put in there that matched the bike color. I can't remember if it was for the the 1983 thru 85 bikes or the 1986 thru 93 bikes or maybe both.

The bikes I owned I always closed the vents up during the summer because of the heat coming out of there and opened them in the cold weather for heat.

BOO

Last summer I ran a piece of insulated heat shielding between the engine and the side panel with no additonal build up in engine temps. I

had to do something as the heat was enough to bake a chicken while sitting in stop and go traffic :225:. I also put a piece under the seat to keep the seat a little cooler. I know there is a joke in there somewhere but I am leaving it alone :whistling:

Hi,

Could we have a picture, or two, of the inside of the panels and details of how you fixed the lexan to the side panels ?

Thanks,

Brian H.

OK, here are a couple of pictures of the backside. I marked the shape and mounting holes with a magic marker and cut the shape with a jigsaw. The fractures were from trying to use tin snips. The mounting holes are slightly bigger than the plastic stand-offs. This allows the panel to slip down tight to the side cover. Flat washers on all mounts and plastic hose as spacers on a couple of mounts. Installing the side covers takes a little more effort because the clear panel has to be carefully slipped behind the lower side panel to properly align with the rubber mounts.

Update 4/28/11: I removed the clear panels and trimmed them where they were interfering with the lowers. The side panels now fit like stock!:cool10:

Edited by GaryZ

I installed the chrome panels on my '84 a couple of years ago and even went as far as putting the OEM heat shields back on the tops of the valve covers. The PO had sent them along in box of a hundred other parts he had found reason to remove when I bought the bike.

I found there was no difference in the engine cooling system and it made a huge difference in my comfort when riding on those hot, hot days. No regrets.

Sometimes I'll pull them out when I know I'm going to be doing a lot of cold weather riding. Kinda nice when it's 19 degrees out to have a lil warm flow there.

Mike

Sometimes I'll pull them out when I know I'm going to be doing a lot of cold weather riding. Kinda nice when it's 19 degrees out to have a lil warm flow there.

Mike

10-4 on the nice warm air. My ride last November in Texas Hill Country started out around 40 degrees F. The warm air hitting my feet an legs made the ride much more comfortable.

Yeah I don't think there is a cooling thing going on there eitherI recall there was a nice Venture Line solid panel you could buy and put in there that matched the bike color. I can't remember if it was for the the 1983 thru 85 bikes or the 1986 thru 93 bikes or maybe both.

The bikes I owned I always closed the vents up during the summer because of the heat coming out of there and opened them in the cold weather for heat.

BOO

After I saw the pics of his bike, I then knew he was speaking of a 1st gen...

I thought at first he was speaking of the fins on a 2nd gen... :thumbsup2:

Heat should not be a problem.

My stock 83 had chrome covers that blocked that opening off tight.

They are for sale if anyone is interested.

Gary

I would be interested those!

Right now I also used some Aluminum to close up the side overs. I polished them to a shine, but I would rather have chrome. I also took out the inside panels of the of the fairing lowers to allow some airflow over the engine in warmer weather.

Thanks,

Bill

After a couple of years of enduring high heat on the legs in July, I knew I needed to do something about it. I don't remember where I saw the discussion but I did read about a Venture owner cutting Lexan to fit the opening. I figured this was a great alternative to waiting for a bargain on Ebay on louvers. I bought bronze coloured Lexan and used card stock paper to trace the side panels and trim to the needed dimensions and shape. Used the card stock as a template for marking and cutting the Lexan. Drilled holes where required, and "voila". Colour coordinated heat blockers. I'm happy. So is the hair on my thighs. :cool10:

Thomas