IGNORED

B.C. Vacation

Wizard765

Glad to hear your having good time EXCEPT for Robin's injury--hope she recovers quick!Really jealous of you guys keep tying to talk wife into visiting he brother in BC. but no go. Hope you have a great time in the remaining time you have there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today we hung around SFU for a bit and Shannon gave us a tour. Also picked up a Hoodie for our other daughter.

After lunch we headed to White Rock and walked the beach and a big peer. Had fish and chips at Moby Dick's which was about as good as it gets.

Then headed to the Clover to watch a movie.

After the movie we stopped at Starbucks to yak with a couple of new friends

Then headed to Night Market (Asian Flea Market)

Pretty busy day but fun... The Navigator's ankle is swollen but not too painful so we pretty much did everything planned.

Tomorrow we are hiking up Mt Minikata and having dinner with Shannon's boyfriends family.. Gotta meet the family of the potential mate...

Guest Swifty

Tomorrow we are hiking up Mt Minikata and having dinner with Shannon's boyfriends family.. Gotta meet the family of the potential mate...

awwh...now...don't go and do THAT...you'll NEVER get her married off!

:)

awwh...now...don't go and do THAT...you'll NEVER get her married off!

:)

Obviously you haven't met Shannon yet,,,, she nothing like Mom or Dad,,,,,I was going to say more,,,, but will not let the cat out of the bag,,,,,, just yet.

Ok Carl.. here you go..

Yesterday we headed up to Mount Minnekhata and hiked for a few hours to the top. It was excellent. The vegitation is very different than Ontario. Much bigger and lusher.

Afterwards we hung out and had an AWESOME dinner with the folks. Very nice people.

Dinner was Salmon, (fresh) Chicken, Potatoes, Rice, Stir Fry, 4 different salads, corn on the cob, assorted fruit and Ice Cream for dessert. Yummmmm..

Today we are heading to a nice place in Tofino.. not sure if there is internet access so may be out of touch for a couple of days. Will have time to unload the cameras though and when I get back post some pics..

Guest Swifty

Today we are heading to a nice place in Tofino....

wow, quite a trip from the main land...which ferry did you cross on?

Make sure you get a shot of you in your wet suit riding the waves.

Ok we are back from the Island and in touch again.... BUT.... Updates to come.. I'm being dragged out to go to Grandville Island.. I'll give updates and description of trip to tofino when we get back...

Hope the weather forecast changes for Saturday

Hope the weather forecast changes for Saturday

Yup it has.... now we only have a 40% chance of 1-3 mm of rain. I will take that over the 90% chance of 5-10 mm that was up earlier in the week.

Welcome to the Wet Coast ! :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: :rain2: oops that is the West Coast sorry.

See you in Horseshoe Bay on Saturday wet or dry. And if you do not like the weather ... give it 10 minutes........

Kevin

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cabc0322

Well that sucks! Why did they change it? A week ago, the forecast was for SUN!!!

So much for forecasting. I rely on my "Weather Rock", which is 100% accurate, but only for the present.

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.

:rain2:

Well I have a couple of minutes to get some notes down here:

We left early Sunday morning and headed to Horsehoe Bay where we got on the ferry to the Island.

Once on the Island and lots of pics later we played some mini golf and had some ice cream.

Then made a drive up the coast a bit then headed across the Island on hwy 4. We stopped for awhile at Cathedral Grove.. AWESOME!! Man those are some big trees. Lots of pics there too.

The 2 1/2 hour drive across to the West side was amazing. Wished the whole time we were on the bike. Mountains, Rivers, Lakes, Twisties and Hills. Fantastic!

Stayed in a Chalet in Tofino for 2 nights. Spent most of Monday walking the beaches and picking up shells or driftwood as well as seeing some sea life. All in all a great day.

Tuesday we hit some shops in Tofino.. Seems the west coast and mostly the beaches of Tofino are Surfer destinations.. In the afternoon we headed back to catch the ferry to the mainland again and drove along Marine Drive back into Vancouver.

Today we slept in then headed to Grandville island for the afternoon. The evening was spent playing cards and eating...

Tomorrow is Graduation and a nice dinner out....

Friday we head to Squamish and the Chief (big mountain) to do some climbing, hiking and rappelling.

So looking forward to Saturday. I may not find the time to upload pics until I get back to Ontario... But we took about 1300 so far... I promise to wade through them first and cull some...

Edited by Wizard765

Sounds like you are having a great time Wayne. Don't forget to check out the Capilano Suspension Bridge while you are there, http://www.capbridge.com/ Its a must. One of my favourite things is Horseback riding in the mountians, there are trail ride outfits all over the place.

One last thing :photographing: :photographing: :photographing: :photographing:

Edited by saddlebum

Ok here we go with another update...

Thursday was the main reason we came to B.C.. Shannon Convocated (graduated) from Simon Fraser University. Was a fairly busy day. Man there were a lot of grads. I'd guess around 500 but was handled very efficiently so we were done by around 4:30 ish..

Shannon got more flowers than she has ever had before.. grin from ear to ear.. pretty special.

After that we headed back to the condo to change and get ready for dinner.

Went to Anduci's for dinner. Now my daughter and BF are vegetarian so we have been eating a lot of that for a few days. At dinner I had the Carnivore Pasta Plate.. It was real good.

Friday up early and off to Squamish to walk backwards off a cliff... We did some rappelling and hiking and generally had a great time.. was pretty scary the first time backing off the cliff with a rope holding you from falling a long way down. After that first scare it was so much fun.. did it a bunch of times in 3 locations. The kids are climbers so this is their favourite playground and they got to show us the best climbs etc.

Made it back to Vancouver in time to catch a play at the Pacific Theater. After the theater went out for a bite and drinks with some of Shannon's friends from work.

We woke up Saturday morning to rain but had the day planned already. Turned out to be an awesome day anyhow. Rented a Harley. New Road King Ultra. A bunch of folks from the VR met us and we road up to Whistler. Thanks guys (and gals) for a great time. It was fun meeting you all. The ride was fantastic. Amazing scenery with the ocean and mountains etc. Started from the dealer with rain but it stopped not too long into the ride. Once we stopped for coffee in Squamish it was pretty nice the rest of the way. My navigator even road with me at that point.

A couple of VR guys volunteered to take passengers so my daughter and her BF got to ride the rest of the way to Whistler.

In Whistler we parted ways so that we could go zip lining.. Wow what an experience that was.

Dinner was at a small Mexican place in Whistler.

The ride back was unfortunately on our own but turned out to be pretty much perfect. The sky had cleared and we actually got to see blue... Even the haze over the mountains cleared so we could see them clearly as well. Shannon road with me on the return leg. It was Magnificent.

I am returning the bike in the morning. Doing church at Shannon's church on campus then after lunch going to Lynn Valley and checking out the suspension bridge there.

Monday (if the weather holds out) we will be going sailing ...

THANKS to all the VR folks that came out for the ride.. It was very special..

Ok here we go with another update.....Shannon Convocated (graduated) from Simon Fraser University.....Shannon got more flowers than she has ever had before.. grin from ear to ear.. pretty special..... Went to Anduci's for dinner - it was real good..... Friday up early and off to Squamish to walk backwards off a cliff... We did some rappelling and hiking and generally had a great time..... Made it back to Vancouver in time to catch a play at the Pacific Theater...... Rented a Harley. New Road King Ultra. A bunch of folks from the VR met us and we road up to Whistler. Thanks guys (and gals) for a great time. Amazing scenery with the ocean and mountains etc...... In Whistler we parted ways so that we could go zip lining.. Wow what an experience that was.

Dinner was at a small Mexican place in Whistler..... The ride back -- turned out to be pretty much perfect. The sky had cleared and we actually got to see blue... Even the haze over the mountains cleared so we could see them clearly as well. Shannon road with me on the return leg. It was Magnificent. ...... PLUS MORE ..... Monday (if the weather holds out) we will be going sailing .....

Wayne - From this summary of your time so far. your trip is somethiong like a good dream. The only part of the dream that I wonder about is the Road King Ultra. It must have been a letdown from your V R - or was it ????

Wayne - From this summary of your time so far. your trip is somethiong like a good dream. The only part of the dream that I wonder about is the Road King Ultra. It must have been a letdown from your V R - or was it ????

I dunno what this might suggest but he was trying to pawn it off on me.... :witch_brew:

Ok, I am going to be the first to post pictures.... or at least try to.

What a fantastic day... about 200 miles of riding and not a moment of it bad. Great location, great people, great food and a fantastic collection of bikes.

Thanks Rick for setting this up, thanks Wayne... and family.... for coming out and creating this occasion for us to get together

Kevin and Lori

after all.... we don't want this to show up anywhere:

:worthless:

So on Sunday we went to Shannon's church which is very small and on campus in a classroom. Very nice and comfy.. After that we were walking back to the condo and talking about what we were gonna do for lunch (father's day) when Shannon got a txt from Sandra (a friend we had met a couple of times for a movie and theatre) inviting us over for BBQ fathers day celebration.

We accepted of course and it was excellent! Very family like atmosphere with lots of people and great food and a chance to just sit and talk and eat... by the time we headed home it felt like all the stuff we have been doing caught up to us and we were exhausted. Slept like a log that night

Monday was a special day. A little shopping but nothing exciting in the morning. We met Shannon's boss and his wife for an afternoon of sailing. His boat is moored at Point Robert's Marina which is States side.. sort of a spit of land that is surrounded by water except for the border crossing... Anyhow it was an excellent afternoon and again very relaxing. Best weather we have had since arriving in B.C. Sunny and about 18 but almost no wind so sailing was pretty slow. We did see some stuff like seals and a couple of dolphins. As well as a bald eagle and a kingfisher. They took us out for dinner at their favourite restaurant in the area so we had some more time to chat.

This morning (Tuesday) we got up and headed to Lynn Canyon for a hike and more pictures. This is similar to Capilano but free... We locked our keys in the trunk and had to call the auto club but otherwise an excellent morning of hiking and scenery. Then headed to Deep Cove and got this fantastic donut that I'm sure clogged my arteries somewhat but it was very worth it. Wow! I'm thinking it is B.C.'s answer to Muskoka. Lot of money in the places there on the hill over looking the bay and the marina.

Just a few minutes and we have guests coming for dinner... Last hurrah before we head home tomorrow...

It's been a very busy but amazing time...