IGNORED

Road Glide

hig4s

Went and test road an HD Road Glide Ultra today..

Nice bike, might be my next bike. Wind noise a little better than the RSV, engine noise about the same volume but less whiny, stereo way better, completely clear at 70mph. The seat and ergonomics were about the same as the RSV. The 103 engine has about the same hp as the RSV and more torque, yet comes with a 6 speed trans, seemed you could chose between three gears at any given speed.

The handle bars were up too much for me, but just rotating them down should correct that, I don't think I would need different bars. There was a tiny bit of turbulence with the stock screen, but then is was short enough to look over, and even the stock RSV screen was taller than that, if I bent down a little and looked through the turbulence went away, so a different screen should correct that.

I won't actually get serious about deciding whether to change bikes or not until next year when the warranty runs out on the RSV, but right now I have test ridden every brand touring bike except the Kawasaki Voyager, and the new BMW 1600GTL. Of the bikes I've ridden the only one I would consider replacing the RSV so far is the Ultra.

I rode both the RG Ultra & the Electra Ultra, both with the 103 mill last weekend. Don't care much for the fairing on the RG ... liked the Electra Ultra a lot! Wish I had the bucks!

Rode the Voyager last year .... I liked it but Nina didn't care for the seating room. One downside was it seemed to "shudder" a lot under hard acceleration.

Going to try out the Victory Cross Country on May 6th

(I think I just like teasing myself! LOL)

I will be getting my new road glide custom in a few weeks. My wife doesnt ride so i opted for the the Road Glide Custom instead of the Ultra.

One of the most common upgrades for the Road Glide is the handle bars. Most guys put on the HD "Heritage Bars". Actually one of the cheaper parts you can get from HD, at about 70 to 80 bucks. They work good I guess, they are a tad taller and give about 2 inches more pullback. Almost all say it is the best change they make, no more neck and shoulder pain. My new bike will have them on it when I get it.

Maybe this info will help ya out if you ever decide to take the plunge. I know when I did, I was pretty nervous. Thats alot of coin. But since i've been waiting to get the bike, I've gotten rather excited! I did like reading your comparison. Cant wait to compare my new bike with my rstd.

One other thing. With the different bars, there is no need to get different cables either. So it is a pretty cost effective change.

I havent even checked that, dont care. I've been looking at the shark nose's for 3 years. I bought my RSTD knowing full well I probly wouldnt keep it. When I got back into riding after a ten year layoff, I bought my RSTD. I'm glad I did, no regrets at all with it. Actually like the bike, but not so much much that I love it and have to keep it. I've never ridden the Road Glide, but I never rode the RSTD before I bought it either. (I have ridden a street glide) I just know that a bike is a piece of machinery that you end up tweeking to your tastes. I dont expect this will be any different for me. So after all these years this bike is what i want. For me I wanted a fixed fairing like the wing, but with feet forward like my RSTD. After owning my RSTD and finding accessories or options (aftermarket) was hard to find. So I dont want to go through all this again with a Kaw Voyager. THe Victories are nice bikes, but my local dealer was more intent on selling snowmobiles than assembling the cross country (not fixed fairing) in the crate when i was researching/shopping. So that leaves me with the HD. I've always loved the RG, so that is my choice. The insurance is secondary to me. This is a bit long winded but that is my reasons why I did what I did. But I'm not leaving this site. Cant get rid of me that easy

QUOTE: THe Victories are nice bikes, but my local dealer was more intent on selling snowmobiles than assembling the cross country (not fixed fairing) in the crate when i was researching/shopping.

Arfter you get your HD you need to go back to that dealer and show him your new bike and then kick him in the a$$ because if you had ridden the Victory Cross Country I THINK you would have bought it. I'm not knocking the HD but I think you would have found a few things better on the Cross Country---things that were really important to me. I was leaning towards a Street Glide (my son has one) until I rode the Victory. Never looked back. It's not the Goldwing I had but IMHO it beats the HD hands down. BUT, if you like the looks of the HD and the availability of accessories then that's the bike for you. I'm just giving you my opinion, and again, I am NOT knocking the Harley. Good luck and all the best to you and your new ride !!

Hey jfoster,

Regarding your insurance question. Only people in your state can give you accurate info on insurance rates. Every state is different. In Georigia for example I insure harleys all the time for $300 to 400 per. The highest rate I have seen for a harley was a 2010 screamin eagle ultra classic carrying 250/500/100 liability, same uninsured motorist, 250 ded comprehensive and collison, roadside assistance for $500.00 per year. By the way progressive's rate for that bike was $1,900.00 per year. I guess Flo needed some money that day.

My cousin has an 07 Road Glide.

One thing about rotating the handlebars is the hand grips are keyed into the bars. They WILL not rotate from where they are at. You may not like where the clutch and brake levers end up if you rotate bars down.

Gary

bj66, was there a considerable difference in insurance premiums? I'm leaning that way, I love the design and looks of the rstd and the rsv, but its been a love hate relationship.

Called my insurance guy today, he said the new bike would be about 100 more per year, im paying about 360 now, so 450 to 500 would be ball park

Guest scarylarry
Hey jfoster,

Regarding your insurance question. Only people in your state can give you accurate info on insurance rates. Every state is different. In Georigia for example I insure harleys all the time for $300 to 400 per. The highest rate I have seen for a harley was a 2010 screamin eagle ultra classic carrying 250/500/100 liability, same uninsured motorist, 250 ded comprehensive and collison, roadside assistance for $500.00 per year. By the way progressive's rate for that bike was $1,900.00 per year. I guess Flo needed some money that day.

Sounds like Flo wanted (.) (.) job...........LOL

I've owned several Harley's, the newest was a evolution motor, some years ago. Have you checked out the maintenance required? The evolution motor was the best I had from Harley, and I could put some miles on it. I actually got a little over 100,000 miles on it before the rebuild. I had it completely rebuild before I sold it for a down payment on my house. I don't know that you can do a rebuild on a Venture motor. Anyway, I never heard of anyone doing one. I guess you just buy a used motor to replace the broken motor.

The Venture motor is as rebuildable as any other motor out there.

There are oversize pistons and bearings available.

PCW has a 1500cc kit for these.

The cylinder sleeves are cast iron & replaceable.

With time & money this motor is capable of 200hp, not an everyday rider, but has been done.

:mo money:

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
I just rode a Road Glide Ultra today. Didn't like the handlebar position and the heal/toe shifter was too small for my big feet but it was a pretty nice bike all in all.

I think they just mount the handlebars high, I believe rolling them back would make them similar to the RSV.. The shifter is a two piece so the front and back can be adjusted independently or the back removed totally..

I really like it, but after thinking about it more, it is just not enough better than my current RSV to take a the loss in resale and buy a new HD. If I were in the market for the first time, I might get the current RG over the current RSV, not that big a difference in price new.

I took my brothers 2009 FLHX Road Glide out for a run today. All I can say is...Damn...! What a nice bike. It handles way nicer and feels much lighter than my 86 Venture Royale...gobs of torque. I have no idea why that needs a 6 speed...that engine would pull the same with 2.

He took off the heel shifter, and set up the toe shifter to serve both up and down shifting duties...it works better that way.

He got a great deal on the bike too. He runs a big truck body shop and he got the thing as a write off...had to replace the front fender, one disk and a couple of other bits. No bent forks or frame...hardly a scratch on the paint. Around 5000 miles or so on it.

He put in less than 20 pretty casual hours into the bike...he reckons he has less than 8 grand into the beast.

I'm very happy with my 2 grand VR but the road glide is one damned nice bike...no doubt about it.

My dream bike....someday

I went to Motor City Harley yesterday for an open house. They really put a good one on,free BBQ , demo rides , and live music. Tons of people. I was back looking at the CVO RG custom and two people told me that were HD guys that the RG is there dream bike. I've heard this many times now. The wife is getting nervous . I told her it's only 35,000.00 , I got that much in my RSV . lol close.