IGNORED

Kids are amazing! Receiver Cover

utadventure

I'm continually amazed at how talented my kids are. Probably it's because I don't have these talents.

My two girls each have blogs about the crafts, knitting and sewing projects they do. One does photography.

My older son is at Weber State in the manufacturing engineering program. I think he likes it so much because he not only is learning the technical side, math etc, but because he gets to play with the machines. One of his projects this semester was to make a receiver cover.... this is what he designed and produced:

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/utadventure/IMG_1125.jpg

After some final smoothing of the tool marks and some paint, it will be complete.

I'm glad he doesn't have a truck....that way I get it for mine.

Dave

Dave, I keep coming back and staring at the aluminum carving. If he had to program that by hand, like most of the stuff I do, there would likely be in excess of 5 thousand lines of code, and take weeks to write!

That is just awesome, no two ways about it!

Ah, the wonders of CAD-CAM. I'm learning to do it the easy way with cad program but I regress and get impatient trying to draw and just go write the program.

• 2 weeks later...

My thought is that it should be painted.

Your pic shows it from an angle so the edges are well defined. If you look at it from directly behind, like someone following you, it will start to look more like just a flat plate and most of the detail will not be noticeable.

But then this is just my opinion for what it may be worth. ALL of my artistic ability can be put in a thimble with plenty of room left over.

Dave, I keep coming back and staring at the aluminum carving. If he had to program that by hand, like most of the stuff I do, there would likely be in excess of 5 thousand lines of code, and take weeks to write!

That is just awesome, no two ways about it!

Ah, the wonders of CAD-CAM. I'm learning to do it the easy way with cad program but I regress and get impatient trying to draw and just go write the program.

Heck, Bob, Why do things the easy way when the hard way works just as well... :confused24: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: