IGNORED

Noices while driving an tyre pressure

OK, I have only been riding my XVZ1200 for a couple of miles (50 perhaps) but I think the noice from the airbox is quite loud. I also have som intermittent howling from the rear that comes and goes as you lean the bike from side to side.

Has anyone tried to put in some sound absorbing material under the tank dummy?

The rear howling, is it perhaps bad bearings in the rear wheel?

The howling from the rear when you lean is your rear tire wearing down in the center. The answer to that is to lean more... LOL Mine does it when it gets close to the time to replace. That could be the noise you are hearing from your air box as well... It could be coming from your tire...

The howling from the rear when you lean is your rear tire wearing down in the center. The answer to that is to lean more... LOL Mine does it when it gets close to the time to replace. That could be the noise you are hearing from your air box as well... It could be coming from your tire...

Ditto what he said. I had the same thing on my '87. Soon as I replaced the tire, the howling disappeared.

Hey Lars,

As others have mentioned, when the center of the tire wears down, and you roll the bike into a turn, you are actually moving the "contact patch" of the tire into an area where there is more tread. This would indicate that the previous owner spent a lot of time riding down the highway, pretty much straight up and down, without much leaning. If you bend down, and look at the tire from the side, the tire will look like it has a lot of tread left. BUT what you want to do is put the bike on the center stand, move to the rear of the bike, and look at the CENTER of the tire. Also rotate the tire and look for spots where the tread is thinnest. You may find an area or two where the tread is down to the wear bar, and this tire will need to be replaced. A side view of the rear tire is very deceptive, because the average rider spends very little time riding on the side of their tires!

As far as the air box goes, check the top and sides for "vent holes" but keep in mind that the intake for your 1.2L engine which moves OVER 1000CFM of air is basically two feet from your face! So there is going to be a fair amount of "intake noise". I have seen where some open faced helmets amplify sounds coming from the engine and air box. Try switching helmets with a friend and see if the noise is the same. I have had really good luck using a super dense, insulation for heat reflection/sound deadening on side covers, speaker enclosures, etc. I am sure it could be used on the false tank cover to reduce the noise factor, if unlike most of us, this particular noise is not to your liking. I have attached a pic of the material. I sell a fair amount of this material for custom speaker installs on another site. If you are interested, feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
ADDED PICS!