IGNORED

V-Max rear question..

Hey all, I believe several of you guys have exchanged the rear end for the v-max style setup.

Can't seem to locate any posts regarding performance, power etc.

So my question to those that have done it, is basically how do you like it, are you happy you did it, how does it affect overall performance of the bike, etc.

My rear is noisy, and was thinking about going that route, but looking for some genuine feedback first.

Thanks, Art

Art,

I know Freebird installed a Vmax rearend on his '99 and has stated a noticeable difference. It's better for off the line and especially if your pulling a trailer. I myself have thought about doing it for about a year now, just never took the time and money to make it happen. It's still on my list over the winter this year.

It will be an upgrade for either 1st or 2nd gen :happy34:

Positively the best performance modification you can make in my opinion. I love the results...which are more torque and power in every gear...a lower 5th gear that makes the bike more responsive and more pleasurable to drive one up, two up, or towing a trailer. You will really notice the difference under load (two up or while towing a trailer) especially if your going up a hill or incline. I love riding this bike now in all gears.

hey guys, been busy with thanksgiving and all.... I know the rear is just a bolt on part, but do any other mods need to be made, or rather, when you guys did it, are there any other parts, (seals, shafts, etc.), that should be replaced, attended to etc... thanks again.......also what oil would be recommended..... at work we use Mopar 75-140 synthetic... seems to be really good oil, that's what I've been using presently..:)

Hi,

you can just purchase a Unit and mount it with out the Speedo Pickup.

If you like it, you can have the Holes machined out later. If not, you just can resell it.

If you look at a used Part, you can use also one from a FJR 1300. These have no Hole for the Shock Bolt, so no Hole to cover if you keep it.

Well.....I wish I could answer that question. My mileage went to crap about 2 years ago. I'm still chasing that problem. Recently pulled the cards and reset the floats and etc. but then the weather turned nasty and I've not been able to put it to the test yet. So....about all I can say is that the swap certainly didn't help. :) Don't know how bad..if any...it hurt either though.

I knew you were having the mileage problem and that is why I didn't ask you specifically. Hate chasing things like that. Wish I could help, only thing I could do if you showed me where to hit it with a hammer I could do that.

I am thinking the Vmax rear end probably going to cost you 2 to 4 MPG. But it's just a guess. I tried running my bike in 4th gear for a tank of gas and it was a little less but not much but pulling the trailer theres a change it will be about the same.

Good Luck

Jerry

Guest KitCarson

Give me about 60 days and I will answer that one for you. At the moment I am waiting on parts for the Rick Butler rear brake mod.....using in tandem with the TCB unit. The very next mod will be the Vmax rear end, move the rpm up a bit, not only will it in my opinion provide more get up and go and keep the rpm range up, but in doing so will even move my slight remaining chirp to an even lower range. (not that I will soon be concerned with that!! I have pipes ordered also)

At the moment Crickett gets 39 mpg the way I ride the bike. Most of the time I never even use fifth gear. I prefer to run the secondary and off roads,avoid the interstate unless absolutely forced to ride on them. But if on the interstate, fifth gear comes into play at 65 and I get 44 mpg running in high gear . Actually 65 is a bit too soon.......more like 70. I like to keep the rpm up.