IGNORED

AMA members select America's 15 best motorcycling roads

Michael_Bishop

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/newsview/11-03-15/AMA_members_select_America_s_15_best_motorcycling_roads.aspx

A countdown of the top 15 routes:

15. Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.

14. Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.

13. California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.

12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.

11. Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.

10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.

9. U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.

8. California Route 36.

7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.

6. Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.

5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.

4. U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.

3. U.S. Route 129 -- The Tail of the Dragon -- on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.

2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.

1. Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming.

I've ridden on a few of them there is some beautiful riding here in our great land. I did notice one thing though, none of the roads started with I or Interstate. I'll do Beartooth pass again during or after the Cody Ralley this summer.

Sometimes beauty is in the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!!

I find it very hard to believe that Route 66 did not make the top 15. I would "Venture" (no pun intended) to say that more people have ridden (and enjoyed) Route 66 than ALL the other roads put together!

Not only that, Route 66 (The Mother Road) is all about the American way of life and what better way to enjoy America than to ride this anthem of history on a bike, or in a convertible or with a hotrod!

I have done parts of THE ROUTE 5 times and every time I am fascinated by the contradiction of a dying culture against the beauty of those trying to preserve and survive the BIG INTERSTATES.

I'm not knocking those that DID make the top 15, but to leave out Route 66 is just a shame...it's like turning your back on your parents! :confused24:

• 1 month later...
#1, and #6 in July.

:cody

Yep looks like a great time getting to ride those 2 and would also like to fit in Number 9, LOLO pass from Lewiston Idaho/Missoula Montana if I get time seeing as how we are almost in the neighbourhood.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Yep looks like a great time getting to ride those 2 and would also like to fit in Number 9, LOLO pass from Lewiston Idaho/Missoula Montana if I get time seeing as how we are almost in the neighbourhood.

Brian

Here's some good information on Lolo Pass...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/RockyMtn/ID/ID_3.shtml

Edited by Condor

Brian

Looks like maybe a nice way for me to come home!! Hmm, :think: the possibilities.