IGNORED

Army food

mraf

Having never served myself thanks to tricky Dick I don't know so hears my question. My son who has served 14 yr is now in Afghanistan and has been since last July and finally called us yesterday. After not hearing from him for three weeks. It was good to hear his voice again. He said that he was very tired and tired of being hungry. When he left he was about 205 and is now at 175. I have a hard time imagining this! How could we send these young men to fight for our country and not feed them? He is on a forward operation base and says things are heating up there now that winter is almost over. Seems the Taliban are fair weather fighters. We are sending him another care package today {food,magazines,tobacco products}. All I know is that this fries me. One more thing he has bought with his own money a Rangefinder and a tactical jacket with lots of storage pockets. Which we have sent on to him. This I thought was unacceptable also that he is self funding our war needs.:bang head:

Allan,

While it is easy for me to say it now that my son-in-law has finally retired from the Marine Corps after pulling three combat tours over there, from personal experience I would n't worry about the weight loss. I came back from the 'nam weighing 140 pounds and sporting a 32 inch waist. (Boy, that was a long time ago)

Will reserve any comments on the self funding issue, but I definately understand where you are coming from. Been there. Done that....

:15_8_211[1]:

This will age me... 20 yrs ago I was sitting in kuwait saying the same stuff and about the same time in service.... I ate 2 MRE's at EVERY meal and was hungry (2600 cal per). I let at 205 lbs and 6 months later when I got home I was 175 lbs... I bet the food is much better than it was back then

I doubt the weight loss is from a lack of nutrition. More likely it's the work/stress levels keeping his/their weight down. These guys cary a ton on their backs every where they go. And just imagin the stress of your life being on the line 24/7.

Having to self fund ANY gear is another issue.:mad:

First off I'd like to thank your son for his service.

I too am in agreement that no soldier should have to purchase equipment needed to do their job. However, it sounds to me that your son purchased items he wanted. When I served there were items I purchased to use (ie. boots, gor-tex, leatherman, etc.) that weren't necessarily NEEDED to do my job but did make doing it much more bearable and efficient for me. In fact, I still purchase items to do my job such as an ergonomic keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. Yes, my employer provides these items and for most here they are acceptable, but I find the ones I purchased to be much more comfortable for me. Now, did I NEED these items?...no. These were more of a WANT on my part.

My son is also in Iraq serving in the Air Force. I think it is deplorable that they have to spend their own $ on items when we have such a big budget for our military.

I just can not understand.

My wife has taught school for years and we have purchased items every year for her to do her job. At one year I bought her a chair as all the school provided was a "stackable" chair.

The top 3% is running things and don't care one small bit about the young people except when it comes time to get their vote.

In a high-stress combat arena the weight loss is normal. It has happened to all us. I never saw a overweight member of the Armed Forces the entire time I was in-Country of Nam nor during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

Keep those Care Packages going to him with the good stuff he can't get over there.

And tell him there are many here who appreciate his service, owe him a debt that can never be re-paid, hold him in high esteem, and pray for his safe return home!

Boomer....an old Vet who's been there and done that.

In a high-stress combat arena the weight loss is normal. It has happened to all us. I never saw a overweight member of the Armed Forces the entire time I was in-Country of Nam nor during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

Keep those Care Packages going to him with the good stuff he can't get over there.

And tell him there are many here who appreciate his service, owe him a debt that can never be re-paid, hold him in high esteem, and pray for his safe return home!

Boomer....an old Vet who's been there and done that.

:sign yeah that:

Allan,

While it is easy for me to say it now that my son-in-law has finally retired from the Marine Corps after pulling three combat tours over there, from personal experience I would n't worry about the weight loss. I came back from the 'nam weighing 140 pounds and sporting a 32 inch waist. (Boy, that was a long time ago)

Will reserve any comments on the self funding issue, but I definately understand where you are coming from. Been there. Done that....

:15_8_211[1]:

Beat you Owl. I went weighing in at about 165 came back 130 with 29 inch waist and would have stood toe to toe with any man alive. ( just didn't have much sense) Don't think I've ever been in better condition. Maybe just a couple pounds light in the tail!

First off let me thank your son for his service. I know from speaking to active duty Marines here at Camp Pendleton CA that when they are out on the outposts they may not get resupply for a week or two, and they may have to go on one MRE a day or even two days. This is mostly due to their ability to carry what they need, and much of what they need is ammo and weaponry. There is no excuse for it, other than it's war, and war is full of times of hardship. My time in the first gulf war (was that 20+ years ago already??) we (the Marines) were a little bit better supplied than some of the army units, but still had times when the food had to be rationed...

as for buying his own gear, it's not right that he should have to do that, but it's been going on for many years..many stores here in Oceanside CA still in business because the Marines want or need better gear than what they are issued...

I pray for all our service members a safe and swift return home!

Semper Fi

Brian "BigDawg" Nielsen

USMC 1975-1999

ALR 146 President

Thanks to all who responded. The weight loss I understand because we've seen him go through the same thing in Iraq. Thats why I asked about the food in general. Guess its just me thinking like a parent, you don't want to hear your kids hungry no matter how old they are. Like you said MREs are not fat food. The buying his own gear still blows with what we all pay our uncle. Thanks again for the replies just needed to rant alittle.:D

The food issue has been covered pretty well. My father, brothers, sons (except one), wife and myself were all Army. I enlisted in 1972, retired in 2003, then got recalled in 2006 for a visit to Iraq. Comparing the equipment we had to the equipment that we were issued in the 70s is like comparing a space shuttle to a horse and buggy. Even so there are folks who like to have a little extra. We were issued some really nice optics for our M4s, but I knew a guy that spent a bundle getting something just a bit more high tech. My oldest is in Afghanistan and one of his buds went so far as to buy a match grade upper receiver. All of those were the personal choice of the soldier.

Yep, my son, Army-Special Forces. I too have asked why he has to purchase some of his equipment. His reply is that his life is on the line and the government issues are from the lowest bidder. Some equiptment are good and some are not.

My son, a career Marine with 18 years in has also spent multiple tours in Iraq. He too spent a lot of $$ on his own gear (wanted the best available). As for chow, he's eaten a ton of MRE's. The food has always been there and it's very rich in calories (eat it at home and you'll gain a TON of weight), but as has been mentioned, stress, combined with carrying VERY heavy loads on your back will cause ya to lose weight. He's lost more than 25 pounds on each tour....

My son is also in Iraq serving in the Air Force. I think it is deplorable that they have to spend their own $ on items when we have such a big budget for our military.

I just can not understand.

My wife has taught school for years and we have purchased items every year for her to do her job. At one year I bought her a chair as all the school provided was a "stackable" chair.

The top 3% is running things and don't care one small bit about the young people except when it comes time to get their vote.

See T Hole point.:thumbsup2:

Rick A.

I don't know. My son just got out of the Marines and I couldn't believe the stuff he had to buy.

In my day you furnished the body and Uncle Sam kicked in EVERYTHING else.

For all my time in the Army, the only thing I HAD to buy was my health and welfare items. Every thing else was WANT to have or WOULD LIKE TO HAVE items. 68 - 78

Rick A.

I served in Afghanistan in 2006-2007. The food was fine, but you do lose the weight from carrying the 90+ lbs of Body armor on you all the time. Since I was an embedded trainer with the Afghan Army then the police we had to be out of the wire all the time. Thank The Lord for Uparmored Rigs and the body armor. Most of us bought our own Tactical Gear (more comfortable armor carriers,scopes, Holsters etc.) The issued stuff was fine, but you want the best advantage while you're there. My Battle Buddy bought a new longer barrel/ upper receiver for his M-4.(increased range) We installed used windshields around the gunners hatch for "chicken shields" until they came up with something better. I understand your frustration at having to purchase stuff that should be issued, they are fielding new things all the time so it should get better.:fingers-crossed-emo

This will age me... 20 yrs ago I was sitting in kuwait saying the same stuff and about the same time in service.... I ate 2 MRE's at EVERY meal and was hungry (2600 cal per). I let at 205 lbs and 6 months later when I got home I was 175 lbs... I bet the food is much better than it was back then

I can't even imagine how the rations could improve over what we had in 1963 when I got out of the Army. :think:

We spend our own money on things WE feel we need because of the unit's TO&E. It's that simple. It's not that the military wants your children to starve or die due to lack of equipment. Each individual unit has a mission. That commander, along with his chain of command and every soldier on every field exercise has determined every piece of equipment listed on that TO&E. They don't just slap this stuff together and run. It takes years and several different changes of command to get the complete plan together, which goes right out the window as soon as the first bullet makes that supersonic crack as it passes 2 inches from your head. Then, when the unit realizes that it has a need that is not met from the TO&E, they send it up the chain of command, and the slow wheels of the military start to move. It will take years to get what they need, not because the military wants your kid to get killed, but because some politician in Washington (either in a uniform or a suit) tries to figure out how to grease his own pocket in the matter. So the troops in the field adapt, improvise, and overcome...just the way they were taught. They will buy, beg and borrow until they get the correct stuff to keep them safer and make them a more effective fighting unit.

Thanks to your son for his service, but please learn a little more about how the government military complex works before making a post like this. I abhor it when folks who have no idea how this stuff works starts ranting about the military. It's just not as easy as filling a obvious need when politicians are involved.