IGNORED

poor tire milage

2WHEELSFORME

I'm at about 15 thousand on the Dunlops that I put on just before Vogel III and my western trip. This is the most I've gotten on any tires. They still look like they did 2 thousand miles ago. :confused24: Go figure. 404 on the front and E-III on the rear.

I have new tires waiting at my tire guy's place, but I'm gonna see how far they'll go. I think they still have a few thou in them. I'm also going to note all numbers and lettering on these tires.

I have heard that manufacturers get the best tires off the line. Mainly because they have the ability, and will, to test them to make sure the quality is up to par. The next best go to dealers and then the rest go out to independents and interneters.

I got 9000 miles on the rear Bridgestone, tried Avons and got a little over 8000 miles. I've since gone back to the Metzlers. I've only got 4000 miles on em, but they are looking a lot better then the Avons or Bridgestones at this mileage. This is not a really a good indicator for the Metzlers, as it seems the last of the half of the tread disappears a lot faster than the 1st half. I am a lot more diligent in the inspection and maintenance of my air pressure on the Metzlers since reading a few posts about them delaminating. I also hear good things about the Dunlop E3's. I may try them next if they are about the same price as the Metzlers.

Leonard

I got 7500 out of the Bridgestones that came on the bike. The front tire still looked great, but back was used up. I don't do burn outs,etc. but I have been known to accelerate rapidly in the lower gears which probably is the reason for the back tire wearing quickly. These are big, heavy and powerful bikes, when you get on them it takes on toll on the back tire even if it doesn't slip.

Look at your braking habits.. Are you a pedal braker . This puts a lot of stress on the rear tire . It has to accelerate take turning forces and if you call on it to do most of the stopping you are going to get poor mileage.. Possible you are getting bad tires ,but likely not so.

That poor of mileage says ;;;;;;; no it screams something is wrong. either your riding style or pressure or SOMETHING!!!! Find out what and correct it . Just my 1 cents worth

Bill P

Dont believe everything you read.....:whistling:

I get around 6,000 out of a Dunlop on the rear........

The old Dunlop D404 went 24,000 miles on my 99RSV, then they made the new Dunlop D404 and I got 8,500 miles on it. And I'll stop right there as I've told this story many times on the web site, but nobody ever takes any interest. :whistling:

Look at your braking habits..

Also look at your up & Down shifting habits.

if you hit the down shifts hard, the tire may slip for such a short time that you don't notice it.... but it is wear.

Also you may want to take the tire pressure up to closer to the max rating for the tire, which is written on the sidewall. This will lessen the tire's flexing and therefore generating less internal heating. A cooler running tire lasts longer.

Smoother driving habits maximize tire ware, and fuel mileage.

quick accelerations/decelerations maximize thrill factor but you pay for it....

I don't know if motorcycle tires are the same as car tires, if they are, there should be a tread wear rating. The lower the number the faster they wear (softer rubber) but the advantage is more traction and better handling (at least that's what it says for cars). The higher the number the longer they last (harder rubber). Maybe this could be the difference in the mileage people are getting....just a thought.

I don't know if motorcycle tires are the same as car tires, if they are, there should be a tread wear rating. The lower the number the faster they wear (softer rubber) but the advantage is more traction and better handling (at least that's what it says for cars). The higher the number the longer they last (harder rubber). Maybe this could be the difference in the mileage people are getting....just a thought.

There is a tread wear rating on M/C tires, it's called the load index. The lower the L.I. the softer the rubber. Just because a tire size is listed will fit your bike, you still need to compare the L.I. numbers. Ex. L.I. 67+677 lbs, L.I. 77+908 lbs. Check your owner man / frame stickers for tire info.

Your right M, that's what I've been trying to tell people! :whistling:

There is a tread wear rating on M/C tires, it's called the load index. The lower the L.I. the softer the rubber. Just because a tire size is listed will fit your bike, you still need to compare the L.I. numbers. Ex. L.I. 67+677 lbs, L.I. 77+908 lbs. Check your owner man / frame stickers for tire info.
I try to use English, something people will understand, just jokin:rotf::rotf:, but putting a little extra thought into it as you explained, that probably says it all. :duck:

I would think the load index would not be a good indicator of how soft a tire rubber is. The load rating of any tire has almost everything to do with construction and very little to do with tire compound.

Auto tires can have very low or high load and speed ratings, with widely varying tire compounds

A google search didn't bring up anything but load ratings and nothing to do with tire compound.

Just saying it isn't a good gauge of how sticky a tire will be.

The car tire ratings you speak of are UTOQ, and they only apply to passenger car tires. Anything at all unusual - light truck tires and certainly MC tires - don't have it.

I've found that MC tire wear varies from set to set EVEN WITH THE SAME BIKE, RIDER AND TIRES. Must be little things like how well I stay on top of the pressure, how often I ride 2-up, phase of the moon. Rear tires almost always wear faster by 25-35%. Carrying a passenger or other luggage doesn't help, as more weight is harder on the tire.

Also, different makes / models of tires are VERY different in mileage capability. Cheap Cheng Shin tires work fine and cost little, but will only go 5 - 8000 miles if you're lucky. As alluded to here, sport bike tires stick like glue but don't last long. Dunlop E2's and hopefully E3's wear like iron and most folks think they handle just fine. Pirelli MT66 and Bridgestone Spitfire tires are somewhere in the middle for wear, and cost less than Elite's. I think I've heard that Commanders are not particularly high mileage tires. You should do better with a MT66 for less money, but an E3 is really the way to go for mileage and it pays in the long run.

Jeremy

I have Michilen Commanders on my bike and with 16,000 miles I am now at the wear indicators. I never got more than 8,000 out of any other tire including Avon Venoms.
I guess you missed the 24,000 miles I got out of my Dunlop D404's, but their made with a softer rubber now, so you only get 8 to 9,000 miles out of them. Too bad you have to pay a sticky price for a sticky tire now that only gives me 1/3rd the wear than I use to get. :confused24:

I would think the load index would not be a good indicator of how soft a tire rubber is. The load rating of any tire has almost everything to do with construction and very little to do with tire compound.

Auto tires can have very low or high load and speed ratings, with widely varying tire compounds

A google search didn't bring up anything but load ratings and nothing to do with tire compound.

Just saying it isn't a good gauge of how sticky a tire will be.

Example: a 500 lb. bike wouldn't need a tire that is designed for a 850 lb. bike. Thus one tire is called a sport touring tire and the other tire is a touring tire. Each is so named to help consumer hope fully pick the right one. An informed tire dealer should have a product book by most tire companies, ask for one as they are free.

• 3 years later...

i just put on a set off Dunlops 3 on 2000 mm. 210 miles later, they are noisey, seem to ride hard. They do feel quicker in steering.

I 've ran three sets of Metzlers good results. The question is how have your Dunlops 3c done .

Leonard:256:

:sign yeah that:

This is an old thread but never hurts to remind folks about tire pressure. I've run the same set of Avons for close to 23,000 miles now. They are known to be a soft, sticky tire but I'm getting better miles out of them than any other tire I've run.

I bought them for the high load rating as it is a big bike and with me on it, over 1,100 pounds. And then add tools and gear and well...... it adds up.

But I summit that checking the tire pressure is critical to maximum tire performance for handling, grip and mileage.

:2cents:

Tire pressure,tire pressure,tire pressure. I have learned the expensive way. I do want to mention that you should always take heed to how many times you have had to lock up your tires also. I started with the factory Bridge-stones and only got 4,000 mile out of them. I first said that these tire are junk. But later learned that my tire pressure was the culprit. You must check the tires on a motorcycle offfffften.

I have Avon Venoms now with 12,500 miles and the back tire is beyond needing changing because of the hard braking that I had to do twice to keep from hitting someone that pulled out in front of me. I could tell something was squirrely about my bike. There was two different places in the tire that was down to the threads. The only reason had to be the hard braking.

My bike is setting in the garage on the center stand awaiting a tire.

I have since read a post here about braking and got some help there also. Use the front brake more in a sudden stop. I am going to practice this. If you have not read this posted from Freebird, you need to.

Fuzzy