IGNORED

All over 40k

Red Ryder

Hey All, for a bit I have had my RSV listed and paying attention to the ones that has sold. I just looked today at the four second generations that have not sold, and all have at least 40k + in miles. All four are a very good price, lots of accessories, too me, they all should have sold already. Which leads me to this question:

You guys feel that a RSV with 40k+ miles really scares someone to buy ?

Just Wondering, Later-

It wouldn't worry me. In fact I'm more concerned when the mileage is too low. My feeling is that one that is ridden is likely to be better maintained than one that is slowly rotting in the back of the garage.

What Carl said!! The 85 I got with 19k on it has cost me a lot of time. And still doesn't run as good as my 86 with 65+k.

Hey All, for a bit I have had my RSV listed and paying attention to the ones that has sold. I just looked today at the four second generations that have not sold, and all have at least 40k + in miles. All four are a very good price, lots of accessories, too me, they all should have sold already. Which leads me to this question:

You guys feel that a RSV with 40k+ miles really scares someone to buy ?

Just Wondering, Later-

I don't think milage is the problem. Timing is everything, and it's a buyers market. If you just did this study recently you might want to notice that it's cold, snowing, and raining, and the economy is in the dumpster. I had a local '99 listed on Craigslist with less than 2K on the OD and it didn't sell. Hmmm???......

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2220286954.html

Edited by Condor

Both my 1st gens had 100k +/- kilomters on them when I bought them. Had no engine issues whatsoever and both had close to 160k when I sold them. The guy that bought my '87 3 years ago has ridden it all over the place and probably put more km's on it than when I had it.

I wouldn't balk at a 2nd gen even as new as an '08 having 40k miles as long as it was in excellent condition and has been properly maintained. That being said, I'd much prefer that new of a bike to have much less.

Thanks, Carl, Dan, Charlie, Jack, Silver T. I didn't feel milage on selling the RSV was a big concern, but in today's buyers market as Jack said the timing is everything. It did get me wondering when I looked at the second gens for sale on our site. Still love my RSV, best bike I have ever owned. Later-

My '02 has 135,000 miles and I have three friends that want it, if I decide to sell. I have no intentions of selling it because I know that it has been maintained to the highest standards. I will leave in early April on a 6,000 mile ride and never think about a problem.

:farmer:

A fella I knew in Amarillo owns a used bike lot. He doesn't give much for a bike if it has more than 50,000 miles on it. He says that he knows that there's nothing wrong with the bikes, but buyers don't like buying bikes with that many miles on it and he can't afford to sit on the bike for that long.

All of the above mentioned things are certainly factors in selling a bike today. One thing I keep running into with folks looking for a used bike is the concern over the miles. There are so many people out there that think a bike with over 25K miles is on its last leg. You try to tell them a bike like a Venture, RSV, BMW or a GW are just getting broken in and will run into the 200,000 mile range with proper care and they think you're nuts.

Just don't know quality when they see it.

All of the above mentioned things are certainly factors in selling a bike today. One thing I keep running into with folks looking for a used bike is the concern over the miles. There are so many people out there that think a bike with over 25K miles is on its last leg. You try to tell them a bike like a Venture, RSV, BMW or a GW are just getting broken in and will run into the 200,000 mile range with proper care and they think you're nuts.

Just don't know quality when they see it.

That is true, but unfortunately something is worth only what someone else is willing to pay. Next Saturday I'm picking the 02 RSV I just purchased with 50K miles. I did a huge amount of research before deciding to go with the RSV as my next bike. That research makes me not worried at all about buying the bike with 50k. But there are more of them for sale than buyers it seems so to get it sold it has to be a really good deal. I'm getting what I think is a lot of bike for little money :)

Cheers,

Dab

I would think they are looking at it like, "I can buy this bike for $8000 with 41,000 miles or I can buy the other with 10,000 miles less for a few hundred more." They see a perceived value there. People will be people.

Excellent point. For me I do think there is quite a bit of value in a low mileage vehicle (more addressed later in the response to MiCarl's post)...

It wouldn't worry me. In fact I'm more concerned when the mileage is too low. My feeling is that one that is ridden is likely to be better maintained than one that is slowly rotting in the back of the garage.

Good point. BUT, something else to make sure one can decipher is the time frame for which those miles were put on it. For example, a few years back I came into an 82 goldwing with 40,000 miles on it. I would consider that low miles for a 20+ year old bike. I was not one bit concerned about it because I 1) Knew the COMPLETE service history of the bike (family member bought new and took meticulous care of it) 2) the bike had been ridden just about every day since it's purchase except for a few months seasonal storage (Michigan bike). It was just a short commute to work for him and he worked A LOT.

When shopping for bikes in the past, I have quickly passed on some bikes after I found out that they rode it when they bought it but then it sat in the garage for years and also passed on bikes when the owner might have ridden it a lot but doesn't have any records at all (or can't remember when the oil was changed, for example).

I personally have always avoided high mileage motorcycles. There is no good reason to buy a well used bike when there are so many low use bikes out there for just about the same money that sellers think they can get out of the high mile ones.

High mileage bikes don't always get proper maintenance, the same as low mile ones, and it's not always easy to tell if a ride has been serviced properly. With low use bikes service doesn't matter as much because, well how bad can even poor maintenance habits hurt a bike with very few miles on it?

Every single revolution that the motor / transmission / wheels / etc makes, brings that component one spin closer to death. Yes, all of those things will run for a long time, but still...

There are very few parts of a motorcycle that are worse off from setting (in an inside storage environment) than they are from being ridden.

I don't think milage is the problem. Timing is everything, and it's a buyers market. If you just did this study recently you might want to notice that it's cold, snowing, and raining, and the economy is in the dumpster. I had a local '99 listed on Craigslist with less than 2K on the OD and it didn't sell. Hmmm???......

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2220286954.html

What he said! Things should "pick up" when warm weather gets here!:080402gudl_prv: