IGNORED

pushing the limits

footsie

I have a honest question, I have read in posts, most recently the darkside poll by captain Joe, that some who went back to the motorcycle tire did so because they pushed the limits of riding. Now I assume they mean in cornering, and curves.

The question is how do you push it past the floorboards dragging the ground. I can easily drag my floor boards in sharps curves any most any speed. I have had to replace my right foot peg because of draging getting on and off I 75 at hwy 82 the cloverleaf ramp in Tifton.

not being smart, I'm just asking, how can you ride harder than that.

Gregg

My exaact words were "I also believe there is something to the " pushing the envelope group" that may take tires among other things to their limits."

The faster and more aggressively you ride the more likely you are to find potential problems with your bike.

example:

develop head shake on a bike going 35 mph pucker factor high

develop head shake on a bike going 135 mph your probably not going to live to talk about it.

cornering at the posted speed limit normally never a problem

cornering at twice the posted limit pray there isn't any gravel or anything unexpected ahead cause thats what your having for lunch.

exceeding max speed limit by 15 mph: well this one is apparent. The faster you go, your odds go up exponentionally for something happening. Wether it be from the difference in speed between you and others, or something that may need adjusted on your bike (head bearings, tire pressure, tire balance, front fork pressure etc...so on and so forth) Everything gets magnafied when your pushing the envelope.

My point being,

If I wanted a bike to fly down the interstate it would be a hayabusa GSX1300R as they are set up for SPEED. (186mph self imposed limitation) their tires are rated for high speeds.

It wouldn't be the RSV. It catchs way to much wind, is top heavy and last but not least "It's a Touring bike".

I drive the same as I would with a M/C tire. I have no problem pushing the limit even pulling a trailer. If I have a good tire (ie: Not a Nexen), and the tire pressure up around 50 psi, the handling is not an issue for me. At lower pressures or on a Nexen, the rear will wallow around, affecting handling. Having said that, low pressures on M/C tires will do the same.

I am not 100% in favor of the C/T and will probably change back on my next change. I might save a C/T setup to use on long trips with the trailer.

I wanted to try it and figured the tire was cheap enough that if I didn't like it, I could go back right away. So far I enjoy the extra traction when hauling a trailer. I don't like the tracking of imperfections in the road due to Tar Snakes, ridges, cracks, etc. or low speed handling on uneven roads.

I have a honest question, I have read in posts, most recently the darkside poll by captain Joe, that some who went back to the motorcycle tire did so because they pushed the limits of riding. Now I assume they mean in cornering, and curves.

The question is how do you push it past the floorboards dragging the ground. I can easily drag my floor boards in sharps curves any most any speed. I have had to replace my right foot peg because of draging getting on and off I 75 at hwy 82 the cloverleaf ramp in Tifton.

not being smart, I'm just asking, how can you ride harder than that.

Gregg

When you have most of the metal ground off your axle nutz I think your riding pretty hard:yikes::yikes::yikes:

My exaact words were "I also believe there is something to the " pushing the envelope group" that may take tires among other things to their limits."

The faster and more aggressively you ride the more likely you are to find potential problems with your bike.

example:

develop head shake on a bike going 35 mph pucker factor high

develop head shake on a bike going 135 mph your probably not going to live to talk about it.

cornering at the posted speed limit normally never a problem

cornering at twice the posted limit pray there isn't any gravel or anything unexpected ahead cause thats what your having for lunch.

exceeding max speed limit by 15 mph: well this one is apparent. The faster you go, your odds go up exponentionally for something happening. Wether it be from the difference in speed between you and others, or something that may need adjusted on your bike (head bearings, tire pressure, tire balance, front fork pressure etc...so on and so forth) Everything gets magnafied when your pushing the envelope.

My point being,

If I wanted a bike to fly down the interstate it would be a hayabusa GSX1300R as they are set up for SPEED. (186mph self imposed limitation) their tires are rated for high speeds.

It wouldn't be the RSV. It catchs way to much wind, is top heavy and last but not least "It's a Touring bike".

You could buy a 1st Gen!!!!:whistling::whistling:

When I ride Two Up, I have the Air Ride Controller, (Air in the front and rear shocks) set for comfort, as well as the tire pressure set for the additional weight.

When I want to add to my "Gray Hair Collection" on my head by going fast, one up, I adjust the air in my shocks, the firmness of the swing arm and tire pressure a much different way. When I add the 15" rear wheel and NOS for "Drag racing" the bike gets set up in a third configuration. The wonderful thing about these bikes is that they can be "tweaked" for different riding styles, and different types of riding.

I don't think twice about adjusting the seat back when I drive my wife's car, as well as adjusting the mirrors. I approach the riding of my motorcycle the same way. I decide if this is going to be a "Sunday Drive" kinda' day, or "I'm hunting for VROD's" kinda' day.

At that point, I confirm in my mind that I am working within a certain set of parameters as far as my bike is concerned, and I make sure I ride within those limits. (although I have been known to pull to the side of the road to make adjustments when the "Need for Speed" takes hold). As many of the VR.ORG family can attest to, I try my very best to keep my motorcycle in excellent operating condition, and if I find that a "perishable item" like a tire, a set of brake pads, the position of my backrest or foot pegs is not to my liking, I CHANGE THEM. I guess what this all boils down to is "What are you willing to do" to make every ride you take safe, and comfortable for you and your passenger. If you are not willing to check your tire pressure regularly, if you won't adjust your shocks and swing arm for the type of riding you are going to do, If you won't change your clutch and brake fluid regularly as well as your brake pads, or service your final drive, then I guess it is "Scary" to ride around on a poorly maintained motorcycle.:doh: (Of ANY kind) Having, or not having a car tire on the rear of your bike is the LEAST of your problems, I assure you. Overfilling your crankcase with too much oil, not changing your fuel filter, or cleaning your air filters, or letting Ethanol laden fuel sit in your Carbs. for months at a time WITHOUT riding your bike is a LOT Scarier that going 15MPH over the speed limit in my opinion. I would rather ride my bike to the limit, than have my bike limit my riding. But that's just me.:confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17

I would rather ride my bike to the limit, than have my bike limit my riding. But that's just me.:confused24:

Earl

Well put and I would like to add, after a recent encounter with the pavement, remember the conditions in which you are riding. Cooler temps mean your tires, be it C/T or MC, will not have the traction as in warmer temps. Believe me it takes awhile to get your tires warm enough to push them to their limits. Cold asphalt + cool tires + urge to drag pegs = Hello Pavement :shock3: :Avatars_Gee_George: Not saying that was my scenario :whistling:but I think we get the point.

Yabbut if ya did that you'd have to deal with housewives who want a new washing machine.....:whistling:

Boomer....who sez sometimes the devil makes him post off-topic stuff.:rotf:

I just got her a new washer and dryer!! The washer must be a 2nd Gen. Makes all kinds of noise shakes and don't go nowhere!!!:whistling::stirthepot:

• 4 weeks later...

So far I've had the Nexen and Khumo. Stay away from the Nexen. It has thinner construction sidewalls and flexes much more. Run the air pressure at least 45PSI. Some go 50.

If at all possible, ride somebody's bike that has a CT first. It doesn't hadle the same. And some hate them.

Actually, it seems that tire pressures vary per bike and rider once the tire gets about 1000 miles on it. I've tried as low as 28lbs and actually started at 42lbs. I ended up at 38lbs and I keep it there whether it's just my big self or 2-up loaded down which is a load close to 500lbs.

As far as brand of tire, if I can't find a Kumho when I need another tire for THIS bike, I may have a Venture for sale.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you've gotten a tire by now, but in case others are reading, BFGoodrich makes a 155/80 15 in their classic Radial T/A that works well for me. I have no other experience with car tires so someone else will have to chime in on how this one compares. There is flex, but it's totally comfortable to me now that I have the right pressure. For me, between 42 and 44lbs is what works. Done the same up and down pressure as other people to find what works for me. I like the 155/80 because with me having a '98 Tour Classic, I don't have the same power as the bikes with the 32mm carbs. Losing a total height of approx .9 of an inch, helps a little with power and hasn't affected my gas mileage. Heck, this motor loves to rev anyway, so a few extra rpms doesn't bother me at all. And for me, I had to have my whitewalls, so I found Diamond Back classic tire...they "vulcanize" whitewalls onto name brand tires; not making their own tires or copying a tire design. This process makes the withwall meld to the tire...you can not remove it even if you want to. Using certified manufactured tires gives you the normal tire warranty, thru BFGoodrinch in my case. They also use Firestone, Pirelli, etc. It's even possible that they would put a whitewall on a tire that you send them too.

I think I got around 24000 miles on my last BF Goodrich Radial T/A running at 35 pounds. I had more wear in the middle of the tread, so this time, I'm running 30 pounds. The ride is great, and the wear, so far , is even all across the tread. This is good for the 2up riding I do on the Venture, fully loaded.

I think I got around 24000 miles on my last BF Goodrich Radial T/A running at 35 pounds. I had more wear in the middle of the tread, so this time, I'm running 30 pounds. The ride is great, and the wear, so far , is even all across the tread. This is good for the 2up riding I do on the Venture, fully loaded.

I'm running 32 lbs in my BFG, nothing really to report. It just keeps going and going...

Wow, that's great news about the BFG's for me. I usually either ride solo or with luggage only...and I have don't have a Venture, so cool. But looking at y'alls pressures and the fact that the tire seems to be wearing in the middle at 35psi, I'm gonna revisit my pressure. Thanks! And tsigwing, I love that setup with the Route66 in the front. I just put that on the back of an old '99 Nomad I'm fixing for a buddy. It looks like people are getting an average of 15,000 on that tire from what I've read. You'll go forever on your tires.

I just got her a new washer and dryer!! The washer must be a 2nd Gen. Makes all kinds of noise shakes and don't go nowhere!!!:whistling::stirthepot:

I see you have 6 bikes listed under you screen name......Are 5 of them parts bikes ?..........:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :whistling: :fnd_(16):