IGNORED

please help new guy

How are you determining that? Nothing I find in a vin search shows anything other then a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star. But researching the bike it says it is a STAR MOTORCYCLE. The history section does not clear anything up. I am an auto tech of 20 years and this is whipping my azz..............

This was made more confusing a couple of years ago when Yamaha decided to split their marketing into STAR and YAMAHA branding. The YAMAHA was kept for the off road products (and ATVs, PWC, Snowmobiles) while STAR was the on road motorcycle brand. Nothing changed with the bikes other than the badge. Therefore, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture and a Star Royal Star Venture are the same thing.

The bike you have is the same from 1999 to present day models. The only major difference is the paint scheme. At some point, they started adding a pillowtop seat, some different chrome pieces on the tank, and a few other cosmetic items. However, all the functional components are identical.

OK, since you are an auto tech, you will likely be doing your own maintenance. Good - you are in the right forum. Some items you will like to know:

1) Look in the classifieds for the CarbonOne Lift Adapter. Buy one (adding the legs is nice). Accept no substitute. It will make your life less complicated with this heavy bike on a lift.

2) Get some Honda Moly60 lubricant. Purchase from the Honda car dealer - it is less expensive than purchasing thru the bike dealer. You will need this for drive pins and splines which are notoriously dry.

3) Unless you have money to spend, don't ask us about farkles. We are like the government and really like spending other people's money.:smile5:

4) There are cross references in the tech sections for oil filters. No need to pay top $ to Mama Yama.

5) Search for threads on oil selection, don't ask the question in a new thread. There are at least 100 threads on here and no one agrees. Just make sure the circle on the back of the jug does not have 'Energy Conserving' in the outer ring.

6) Attend a regional Maintenance Day. You will learn a lot about your bike at one of these.

7) If you have the stock Brickstone tires, look forward to when they start to wear out. You will once again have the opportunity to ride a new (feeling) bike when you put good skins one. Avon Venoms, Dunlop Elite3, and Michelin Commanders seem to be the tires of choice. Again, search for threads. There are 100s of them about tires also.

8) Pay your $12 to become a full member here. It will pay off in spades.

9) There are a couple of easy geometry changes that can be made to improve low speed handling. Either changing out the dogbones which raises the rear about an inch, lowering the front about an inch, or a skinnier front tire. Only do one of these.

10) Don't hesitate to ask questions. We are here to harrass and help - whichever is appropriate for the request.

11) Review #8. This is the best advice in this posting.

Welcome to the family.

RR

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

www.foxyamaha.com

www.accessories4biker.com

www.yamahapartshouse.com

www.magneticdrainplug.com

www.yamahasportsplaza.com See Billet and Chrome section. Also accessories are on e-bay

Hope that this helps out. Do not forget J.C:rotfl:. Whitney as well. DanC

DanC, I've never heard of a magnetic drain plug, you obviously use it, does it work as well as the website claims it does?

thanks!

another new guy

BigDawg

Brian in Carlsbad, CA

'06 RSV MV

:Venture:

If you go to a Yamaha dealer site go to the OEM accessories. From there you can go thru sub menu's to choose the bike you are looking for. Look for "Royal Star Venture".

eg http://www.pioneermotorsport.com/catalog_items.asp?pagenum=1&uTotalRecords=&uLimitPartName=&uLimitPartNumber=&prodtree=419-420-445-634&imgview=y

For Yamaha U.S... go to http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx. Choose :

Product Line - Motorcycle

Year - 2009

Model - Royal Star Venture S (light yellowish gray metallic 9) - XVZ13TFSY

On the left you get a menu where you can get to parts break downs.

For accessories... go to http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acsubcontaineritems/5/4/83/404/all/1.aspx.

Bike is a Royal Star/Royal Star Venture (or RSV). You can then either do a search online for the part number or call a dealer for a price.

From the History page you'll see that the 2009 you have falls into the "2nd Generation" Venture... some say the faster of the Generations.... :-)

1999 to current are all pretty much the same with some minor differences (seats). The Royal Star Venture "S" has extra chrome.

Hope this helps !

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/common/images/blank.gif http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/southseattle/Layouts/01/Skins/MainPortal/Modules/OemParts/images/headers/oem-parts.jpg

The posting below is your model. Some have a "C" on the end. That is a California designation. Dont know what the difference is but anything that Cali adds usually costs more...LOL. Not sure of your color but the # is correct.

Yamaha : ROYAL STAR VENTURE S (LIGHT YELLOWISH GRAY METALLIC 9) - XVZ13TFSY - 2009

CALIFORNIA is kinda like the 'stealers', the C stands for Cash! no really, it's because ofthe added emission BS the state requires. No C. No registration here, unless it's used with a bunchof miles...

BigDawg in SoCal...but the added cost provides us sunshine to ride this weekend!:cool10:

While beating information out of your dealer beat the warrenty information out of him.I saw you bought your bike used but it should still have the balance of the 5 year warrenty on it.Go to a Yamaha dealer and get an accessory cataloge from him,it will have the part numbers that you need.As to what you have

It is a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture BUT you may see it listed as:

Star royal Star Venture

2nd gen venture

99-09 Venture

99-11 Royal Star Venture

RSV

XVZ1300 Venture

XVZ and a combination of letters after it

All of the abouve refer to your bike . I am sure there are a lot of other ways/names to call it but the Ventures from 1999 to current are all the same with the difference of color.If it will fit a 99 Venture it will fit your bike.If it will fit any Venture from 1999 to 2011 it will fit your bike.If you see something you want but aren't sure it will fit your bike contact the supplier and ask,they will be happy to help.All list an email and many have an 800#

There isn't a lot left for these bikes outside of what Yamaha makes and even they are cutting down on their assortment.Go to www.starmotorcycles.com look on the left side of the page and click on the Royle Star link.It will take you to the Venture page.Click on accessories and it will take you to everything Yamaha has for your bike with part numbers. Then take these to your favorite online supplier and get the best price you can. Also check out ebay,there is always something there and this site has a good classified section that has accessories also.

BTW you have a beautiful color combination there congratulations.I have been riding these Yamaha V-4 since 1986 and they are just great. I have an 08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe now and it is fantastic. This is a great site with lots of information and very friendly people.Read the posts and the tech section and don't be afraid of dumb questions.We were all new once.

How are you determining that? Nothing I find in a vin search shows anything other then a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star. But researching the bike it says it is a STAR MOTORCYCLE. The history section does not clear anything up. I am an auto tech of 20 years and this is whipping my azz..............

XVZ13TFSY when I search that like on ebay I get 13 items. If I do a more detailed search it shows everything from a 1999-2009 but the parts do not interchange. Putting in a XVZ1300 yields same thing. Search 2009 Royal star venture and get nothing. I find it hard to believe parts are NOT on ebay, but ill be darned if I can find any. Then searching aftermarket suppliers like the links posted here I cant find anything at all other then some little chrome things. Guess Ill just go to the parts counter at dealer 80 miles away and see what they come up with.

OK dude, take a deep breath and try to grok this - quit THINKING it is hard - you will soon realize how simple it is.

First, your bike is NOT an XVZ1300 - that is an obsolete designation. Like Ruffy said, Your bike is an XVZ13TFSY. If it is a California model, it will have a C on the end. The ONLY difference (that I know of) on the California model is the addition of a charcoal canister and extra vent hoses on two of the carburetors. So for all intents and purposes, you can just ignore the "California" issue. We would ordinarily refer to your bike as simply an RSV or an XVZ13 - You do not need to even think about the other letters in the model number unless you are trying to find replacement parts for the front end (such as fairing, windshield, radio, etc.) or the gas tank.

You find the model number in the Owner's Handbook. If you did not get one, first, call your dealer lots of ugly names, then download it here:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2009/LIT-11626-22-50_RoyalStar_Venture_1578.pdf

The "S" in the model name simply means that your bike has chrome forks and chrome on a few other items on the handlebars. We know that yours is an "S" model, because ALL Ventures in that color are 2009 Royal Star Venture S models.

Understand that ALL Royal Star Ventures, from 1999 through 2011, are virtually IDENTICAL except for color. There have been a very few technical improvements over the years, such as improved antenna mounts and an improved rear shock, but even in those cases, you would always use the newest part on ANY Venture. For your purposes, understand that ANY accessory that will fit ANY RSV model year from 1999 or newer will fit perfectly on your RSV. Trust us, the parts, ALL of them, DO interchange.

Unfortunately, Yamahaha has already discontinued just about all the accessories for this bike, so you will have to do a lot of searching. I personally will NEVER EVER buy from ebay, but I must sadly admit that it may be your best bet. But do not forget to check out JC Whitney - they actually have a lot of things for this bike (including the light visors).

Good luck in your search,

Goose

Although you haven't joined yet.... seems like you've already gotten your $12 worth for the membership !

As You were typing I was subscribing. As a 20 yr auto tech I know good information is worth some $$$ and I seen how good the information was so I joined.

Welcome as a member ! As you've seen, for the short time this thread has been on here you get lots of help from the members !

Definitely pick up the Carbon_One lift adapter with legs. Due to the way pipes run you need it in order to lift the bike to work on it. Some people have used hockey pucks but the lift adapter makes it simple, safe... and with the legs is a great way to store the bike.

Enjoy the ride !

As You were typing I was subscribing. As a 20 yr auto tech I know good information is worth some $$$ and I seen how good the information was so I joined.

Welcome as a member ! As you've seen, for the short time this thread has been on here you get lots of help from the members !

Definitely pick up the Carbon_One lift adapter with legs. Due to the way pipes run you need it in order to lift the bike to work on it. Some people have used hockey pucks but the lift adapter makes it simple, safe... and with the legs is a great way to store the bike.

Enjoy the ride !

I thank each one of you so much. A quick "google" search lead me in 100 different directions at once. One apparent reason is from the name change (which I see clearly now) and the other is like was posted above, some people do not know how to properly, or affectively list parts due to things such as the name change. But I learned rather quickly with the fantastic help here this bike is just a bike. I know can find the parts I am looking for, and will enjoy doing tech write ups on some of the adds I install. My work is rather good and detailed.

As for the lift adapter, I keep seeing it but what does it adapt to?? I understand from looking at it it fastens to the bike but what jack is it used with?? I currently DO NOT have a cycle jack of any fashion only a couple 2 1/2 ton snap-on jacks for auto service.

I would have immediatly joined, but as you know web forums are a dime a dozen, however good web forums are rare. Once I seen the response and desire to assist with my concerns I knew I had found a good one, so therefore becoming a member was an easy choice. I am so much looking forward to adding, and accessorizing this bike. I am not a tight whad so spending money or prim and proper fit items is a must. I dont make mistakes or have a hacked up vehicle, bike, or whatever because I research, research research before doing anything. This bike has such great reviews, and what I was able to purchase it for made it that much better.

Once again THANK YOU ALL so very much. To say your knowledge is appreciated is a definate understatement.......

As for the lift adapter, I keep seeing it but what does it adapt to?? I understand from looking at it it fastens to the bike but what jack is it used with?? I currently DO NOT have a cycle jack of any fashion only a couple 2 1/2 ton snap-on jacks for auto service. ...

The lift adapter mounts on the bottom of the bike and uses a rod to go thru the centre stand mount for safety. With a motor cycle jack you centre it under the bike and push until it hits the bar on the other side. Then it is safe to lift the bike. The legs get bolted onto the adapter once you get the bike up in the air. Lower the bike down and the legs support the bike. You can then take the lift out from under neath.

A lift won't fit without something to hit the bike's frame in the right spots. Carbon One provides an info sheet with the lift.

Just an FYI - Don found the database problems and got them all fixed for us - man we are SCREWED here without him!

ya... it's so bad that when something here isn't working or the site is down, I start getting the shakes, feeling nauseous, and seeing monstrous spiders crawling the walls!!!!

welcome aboard. as you have already found out these guys know more about the bike than yamaha and have alot of great resourses and besides that, you will meet alot of great people and make new friend,i know i have. when i joined it was like i was a member all of my life,they took me right in and treated me like family. the fact of the matter is that we are family and will do anything that we can for one another.look forward to meeting you at a get together. c-me later :bluesbrother:

This was made more confusing a couple of years ago when Yamaha decided to split their marketing into STAR and YAMAHA branding. The YAMAHA was kept for the off road products (and ATVs, PWC, Snowmobiles) while STAR was the on road motorcycle brand. Nothing changed with the bikes other than the badge. Therefore, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture and a Star Royal Star Venture are the same thing.

The bike you have is the same from 1999 to present day models. The only major difference is the paint scheme. At some point, they started adding a pillowtop seat, some different chrome pieces on the tank, and a few other cosmetic items. However, all the functional components are identical.

OK, since you are an auto tech, you will likely be doing your own maintenance. Good - you are in the right forum. Some items you will like to know:

1) Look in the classifieds for the CarbonOne Lift Adapter. Buy one (adding the legs is nice). Accept no substitute. It will make your life less complicated with this heavy bike on a lift.

2) Get some Honda Moly60 lubricant. Purchase from the Honda car dealer - it is less expensive than purchasing thru the bike dealer. You will need this for drive pins and splines which are notoriously dry.

3) Unless you have money to spend, don't ask us about farkles. We are like the government and really like spending other people's money.:smile5:

4) There are cross references in the tech sections for oil filters. No need to pay top $ to Mama Yama.

5) Search for threads on oil selection, don't ask the question in a new thread. There are at least 100 threads on here and no one agrees. Just make sure the circle on the back of the jug does not have 'Energy Conserving' in the outer ring.

6) Attend a regional Maintenance Day. You will learn a lot about your bike at one of these.

7) If you have the stock Brickstone tires, look forward to when they start to wear out. You will once again have the opportunity to ride a new (feeling) bike when you put good skins one. Avon Venoms, Dunlop Elite3, and Michelin Commanders seem to be the tires of choice. Again, search for threads. There are 100s of them about tires also.

8) Pay your $12 to become a full member here. It will pay off in spades.

9) There are a couple of easy geometry changes that can be made to improve low speed handling. Either changing out the dogbones which raises the rear about an inch, lowering the front about an inch, or a skinnier front tire. Only do one of these.

10) Don't hesitate to ask questions. We are here to harrass and help - whichever is appropriate for the request.

11) Review #8. This is the best advice in this posting.

Welcome to the family.

RR

That's quite a list RedRider, but I just took care of number 8! Looking forward to learning tons of stuff and maybe even sharing something worthwhile. So far it's been a great place to make some upgrade decisions.

BigDawg