IGNORED

Key Please!

Guest msegelle

Guest msegelle

Question what is the best way to get a key made for a Venture if you don't have anything other than a key and the bikes V.I.N.?

Dealer or locksmith?

Thanks for the input..............

Mark

If it's a factory key it may still have the code numbers stamped into it. Any locksmith can code that and make a new key exacty like a new one. We have a locksmith here on the site that does a lot of keys for us by code. Maybe someone has his info.

Most hardware stores carry blanks that work for our bikes to if the key is usable.

I don't think the VIN# will play much of a role on this one. I know even within a give make and year there can be several different blanks used.

Guys, don't some models have the key code on the ignition switch itself?

Me. I avoid stealership whenever possible. I like my money in my pocket.

When I bought my bike the PO gave me a handful of keys. They all worked in something but not in everything. One key was a factory key with the code number on it. It was so badly worn it would barely work at all.

I found a locksmith online and sent him a the code number, a copy of my drivers license and a registration and he made me two new key and I made copies of those at the hardware store. Now every key works in everything.

Good luck.

I'd like to know where exactly, because I looked and couldn't find the key code that way.

If I remember correctly the 1stGen's have the code on the back of the ignition, not sure about the 2ndGen. If you have the key, take it to a locksmith and have another cut. You might also check with your local Y dealer to see if they have any blanks...

I looked for my self and you will find a number on the underside of the the rotating key hole cover on your gas cap. you will need a mirror to read it.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

I never really checked it against my key but I was told that that is the key code.:moon::moon::moon:

Take the key to any locksmith and for 5-5 dollar he will make you a key..... get a couple.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Good luck

Bubber