IGNORED

Got hit in the back today (cage)

eazyduzzit

I ride the bike to work most days, but luckily it has been cold here for the past month. Today I was headed West sitting 1/10 of a mile from my house, making a left turn onto my road. I had to wait for a few cars going East, so I could make the turn. A Saturn pulls up behind me and as he's stopping, a Jeep slams into his rear, knocking him into my rear. I was pushed forward a car length or more, and it knocked everything off of my sun visor and all of the pennies out of my ashtray.

This was in a Ford F150. I called my wife to tell her I'd be a little late getting home, and when I told her what happened, she said "it's a good thing you weren't riding!". As soon as she said it I thought my knees would buckle. I hadn't thought about it before then.

Be careful out there!

That's what scares me about it. I saw it happening in my mirror, but I didn't think quickly enough to pull forward.

My luck, I would pull forward and find out I pulled out in front of someone coming the opposite direction, and now I am found guilty for failure to stop, yield the right of way, running a stop sign or charged with something...:mo money::mo money:

My luck, I would pull forward and find out I pulled out in front of someone coming the opposite direction, and now I am found guilty for failure to stop, yield the right of way, running a stop sign or charged with something...:mo money::mo money:

That would be my luck too. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

Glad you are able to tell us all about it.

When you are about to get rear-ended, You always have several choices;

You can pull forward to give more room for the fool to get stopped.

You can blow the light if traffic allows to get clear of the situation.

You can make a quick right turn if traffic allows.

You can just take your foot off the brake to minimize damage to your vehicle (MAXIMIZES damage to you).

You can stand on the brake hard to maximize damage to your vehicle but minimize damage to you.

You can pull up tight to the vehicle in front of you to use its mass to help absorb your impact from behind.

There may be more or less options available in any one situation, but if you have put some thought into the options and consider them at EVERY stop, your brain will most likely pick the best option for the situation with no conscious thought.

When I took MC training, one thing they were really big on was: when you come to a stop YOU MUST BE IN 1st GEAR. Yes they would shout it at us, and once I was threatened, that if next time I came to a stop and the scoot died on take off, I might just as well take off myself, for I wasn't going to pass any exam with them. The other thing was that there was always a big Grey Hound bus coming up behind us, so look in your mirrors, do a shoulder check and get ready to rumble. A stopped bike is more vulnerable than a moving one.

Guess that lesson was displayed for us again today. Thanks for sharing.

You can pull up tight to the vehicle in front of you to use its mass to help absorb your impact from behind.

Good advice, but this one may get you in trouble. They could say you were following too close, to the guy in front, and with no fault insurance you may not be happy.

Hope all is well. I sort of got rear ended today, but I was backing into a parking spot. Could not see the rock that was about 2.5' round. Was not going fast and it stopped me quickly with not even a scratch. :innocent:

Brad

so look in your mirrors, do a shoulder check and get ready to rumble.

Yeah, I took the safety training too. When I'm riding, I always look in my mirrors at red lights until I have a couple of cars cushion behind me. I saw the Jeep coming this evening, but it was just in my peripheral vision. I was surprised by it.

when I told her what happened, she said "it's a good thing you weren't riding!". As soon as she said it I thought my knees would buckle. I hadn't thought about it before then.

Be careful out there!

know exactly what you mean. I got rear ended by a girl busy texting. I was in my pickup truck fortunatly, but could not help wondering what if. From that day on when coming to a stop, I swear I watch behind more than in front, Hope I don't run into somebody because of it

Sure glad to hear that you are okay. I know what you mean about good thing you were not riding. Since I am the passenger on our bike, whenever we are at a stop and I hear squealing brakes behind me, I always think this could be it.

I saw a really neat bumper sticker the other day. It said simply"Watch for Motorcycles!" I think I will try to find out where you can buy one.

Yama Mama