IGNORED

Your ATV Preferences?

1 Canuck

I'm not familiar with ATV's (4 wheeler), so I've been looking to buy a used ATV, but would like to know from an owners experience what the best bang for the buck is.

I'm looking for something between 400-650cc for trails, for cruising along on a frozen lake, general use, etc...

Preferably a 4 wheel drive, locking front axle and still hopefully light enough to pull out of a bog. Maybe around 2-4k?

What makes, years, models, mileage, etc should I stay away from?

Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I have a Honda Foreman 500 ..we use it on our Property ..we drag 1000 lbs bale's with hay to the pastures.. Enough power for us.

I bought it 2 years a go ..and it was a 2 year old left over ..but still new...and they took 1000 dollars from the New Price.

ny honda...

I have a 2000 350 olive green honda rancher electric shift 4 wheel drive only.

And

a 2009 420 camo Honda foreman electric shift , can be 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive using shift lever.

Bought both new and have just changed starter brushes 2 times in 350 and routine maintainence on both.

420 would probably be better suited for you as it has a little more power/torque and you gain tha ability to shift into 2 wheel drive(goes faster).

Edited by CaptainJoe

I have a ancient 87 4wd Suzuki. 2 sons and 8 thousand some odd miles on it. Plus thousands of hours idling doing farm work. Just replaced the motor with a e-bay one. The rod bearing seized. Couldn't blame it, it had been through hell. My son says I should have bought a new one years ago. I told him that would be like giving up on him if he were sick it's been in the family so long.:rotfl: Anymore most all brands are bullet proof if you stay in the utility range. As far as pulling one out of a bog, just so you're not the only one pulling. I've left mine and walked back to get the tractor before I brought myself to a cardiac.:scorched:

I've had Hondas, Arctic Cats, Suzukis, Yamahas, and Kawasakis. They all have their good points and bad points. If I were to buy another today, I'd find a good dealer that I can trust to treat me right. That's 90% of the equation!

I currently have an 2006 Arctic Cat 500 and two Yamaha BearTrackers (230cc). The Cat is a tank. It'll tow my 16' equipment trailer (1500+ lbs), go through thick mud up to the skid plate, and climb and traverse stuff that will scare the crap out of you. It is a big ATV and handles just OK (better with tires other than stock), but rides very nice. The racks hold 200 pounds (rated, but I've put a lot more on them). It is for work more than play (the Speedrack setup is great), but will climb up and over stuff that stops others cold (4x4, diff lock and a winch).

The Yamahas (1999 and 2001) are much more nimble, ride rougher, will haul a lot more than they have a right to and with better tires are OK in mud that isn't too deep (and are easier to get unstuck if need be). They have been bullet proof and were relatively cheap to buy. They won't climb over tall stuff, but are much more fun on the trail. They top out about 30 mph, but I have no business going any faster on tires inflated to 3 psi.

A rancher I know has nothing but Hondas. He is very rough on equipment, so if they do the job for him, they should work for anyone.

I am not a fan of Polaris because I don't like their racks. Not sure that answers your question, but that is my experience.

I had a polaris sportsman....and I liked I didn't have to shift. (it had an expanding drive belt drive hub)

It had Limited slip 4 wheel drive (front only kicked in when needed but could be locked into 4 wheel with a flick of a switch.

It had high & Low range.

handle bar break worked only one rear brake, foot brake worked the other 3.(if I remember right)

My brother had a Honda 500 that was electric select gears. I found it rough shifting (jolt each gear) but worked well in any lower gear on trails. I found the seat more comfortable on the Polaris.

A buddy has a new polaris...and he loves the racks. He has a dump rack on the back and made up a box for it. We all had winches so we never found a spot we couldn't get thru one way or the other.

We also found the independant suspension on the Polaris was nicer ride than the solid back axcle of the Honda

I have never owned anything other than a Honda so I can't accurately compare but obviously I am completely satisfied with Honda. I am on my second 4 wheeler in 20 years and presently own a Honda Foreman 4 x 4. It works and plays on our farm and has been very dependable. This one is a 2001 and has never been back to the repair shop.

Kawasaki Prairie's here, a 360 and a 650 both are 03's. Automatic, high and low range shift on the fly 4x4 with manual front locker ( left hand finger pull ). Fully enclosed wet brake in the rear with front disc. The 650 is water cooled the 360 is oil cooled with a fan, both have a spin on oil filter. They weigh around 600lbs stock and are used for work and play (a lot of play). I've had no issues with either of them, the 360 has 20,000+ miles on it and around 500 hours. The 650 around 12,000 miles and a little over 200 hours. We use the 360 the most because it's easier to get out where they are parked. My :2cents:

IMHO do NOT buy Used, people rag and thrash them and thinks its OK of off load them to some unsuspecting s*cker. Unless you know Grandma had it since new then buy Brand New. LOVE my 2006 side by side YAMMIE 660 Rhino. Next I would say Honda. Unfortunately in this game you get what you pay for. I would stay away from all other brands IMHO.

2 Things are a MUST 4 me.......Go with an Automatic and Independent Rear Suspension!!!

Good Luck

Edited by frogmaster
added info

IMHO do NOT buy Used, people rag and thrash them and thinks its OK of off load them to some unsuspecting s*cker. Unless you know Grandma had it since new then buy Brand New. LOVE my 2006 side by side YAMMIE 660 Rhino. Next I would say Honda. Unfortunately in this game you get what you pay for. I would stay away from all other brands IMHO.

Good Luck

Thanks for the all great information and opinions from everyone! Unfortunately, many of the "used ATV seller's" will tell you everything you want to hear.

It also seems like the makes, models and features seem to be very close between Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Arctic Cat with no mention of Suzuki or Bombardier yet? Chinese model...not going to happen. Buying new in the US maybe the best option?

Again thanks for the all this helpful info. and insight, please keep it coming with the pro's and con's

I have a ancient 87 4wd Suzuki. 2 sons and 8 thousand some odd miles on it. Plus thousands of hours idling doing farm work. Just replaced the motor with a e-bay one. The rod bearing seized. Couldn't blame it, it had been through hell. My son says I should have bought a new one years ago. I told him that would be like giving up on him if he were sick it's been in the family so long.:rotfl: Anymore most all brands are bullet proof if you stay in the utility range. As far as pulling one out of a bog, just so you're not the only one pulling. I've left mine and walked back to get the tractor before I brought myself to a cardiac.:scorched:

Got a 97 Suzuki Quadrunner and it has been a great machine. It is a workhorse.

I had a '01 Honda Rancher, it was bullet proof, sipped fuel, and enough power. Downside, it rode rough and handled poorly. My father in law has an '01 Yamaha Big Bear, all the same pluses as the Honda, but it rode better and handled better.

I bought a Honda Foreman 450 electric shift new back in 2000......haven't had any troubles, switchable 2wd / 4wd, and she'll pretty much go anywhere that any sane person would want to try to go. I have a plow on her and have been really pleased how well she'll push snow without chains. No complaints, and I'll probably keep her forever.

Stay away from the Chinese ones that have been on the market the last couple of years. I've heard only bad stuff about them.

Best of luck to ya.

:banana:

1998 Yamaha big bear 2X4 and a 1999 Yamaha kodiak 4X4 here. Great machines! both are over 10 years old and have never been in the shop for anything. I use them for anything from trail riding in Colorado, to hunting, to doing chores on the property. Buddy has had Polaris all this time. Also very nice machine. Rides WAY better than the Yamaha's with that suspension it has.

Edited by exrsa1

I'm a fan of arctic cat. I've got two of 'em, a '99 300 4x4 manual shift and a '05 500TRV (two rider vehicle) 4x4 automatic. Both have winches, both are very capable. With that said what do you really want to do with it. EITHER of my machines is capable off road, however if you're going through the woods the smaller machine is WAY more agile and will go places the boys on the 500 and bigger machines can't ever dream of going. We've got a lot of trails around here that are basically "horse" trails. The lil' cat will go through ANY of them, the bigger machines simply can't make the tight turns between trees that a horse or smaller machine can do. Look at where you want to ride and then make your choice! Good Luck!