IGNORED

trike insurance

gunboat

hi folks

what insurance company's do ya'll trikers use? just picked up my trike monday afternoon and trailered it home. i have progressive insurance on the '99 rsv i have now. shouild i stay with them? is there any problems getting insurance for a trike? did'nt think about this before i bought the trike. thanks in advance

reguards

don c.

I switched a couple of years back to Geico from Foremost, and saved about half, but Progressive is also good from what I hear. Be sure that you talk to some one and make sure that they understand that it is a Trike. It will more than likely be listed as an accessory, but covered.

I have both under one policy and it is right at $600 +- full coverage.

I had had Progressive from 05 to last summer when I switched to Allstate. The 1st two years were as a two wheeler. Because the bike is still a motorcycle nothing changed there. I did add on extra accessory insureance to cover the costs of the trike portion.

Allstate does the same thing by just adding a rider to the main policy to cover the added value of the trike.

Larry

BTW: I saved over $300 making the switch so it pays to shop around. It also helped that all of my vechicals and house was insured with them as well.

Hey Gunboat,

I can't speak for Texas because every state has different rates and coverages but in Georgia Progressive's rates for motorcycles are the highest of any company. I am an agent and on my 05 Venture progessive's rate was $1,900.00 per year and another company was $400.00 per year. In Georgia Victoria has the best rates for trikes. Victoria is owned by nationwide and markets through independent agents. I have insured several trikes and Victoria has had the best rate. It is usually around $600.00 per year. I have talked to progessive many times about their uncompetitive rates in Georgia but they don't seem to care. I am convinced that you can advertise anything on TV enough and people will buy without checking with other companies. Progessive is the number one motorcycle insurer in the US but if they don't lower their rates I don't believe they will be long. I also think the Harley insurance agency is feeding progessive a lot of business helping to keep them the number one company. Every insurance quote I see from the harley agency is with progressive. I have called on harley dealers for three years letting them know I specialize in cycle insurance and can get the best rate for their customer but I have only had one referral from a harley dealer. One harley dealer got arrogant with me when I told him progessive had the highest rates in Georiga, and told me harley riders didn't care about the rate, they just wanted to be with a quality company. I smiled and said they might not care about the rate when they buy a bike but they come to me on renewal and we beat progressives rate every time but you can't reason with them. The best thing to do is to check with several companies and see who is best.

Don't know about the trike part, but American Modern (amig.com) beat everybody I called, at renewal time, on my two bikes. So I dumped the lizard and progressive for one policy with AMIG. ($613.00/year)

Same here! I use American Modern also. It's handled by my Farm Bureau agent.

My payment went down , after I triked, the ins company's are catching on that the bike will not fall over anymore and saves them money. (Geico) I am at $23 a month full coverage for $26,000 and flat bed towing. I now also can take the bike off for the winter months (no driving it) but it is only $10 a month fully covered as well.

The only thing that they will not pay for is the $1500 in labor to replace the rear trike part, otherwise everything is covered including my extras .

• 2 months later...

I just got off the phone with progressive,took me about 30 minutes to get them to agree to insure my new to me voyager trike kit.You need to explain to them that the kit is not some homemade rigg that you cobbed up in your garage. But that it is a trike convertion kit that is manufactured by a company that deals in motorcycle accessory's.Also if you look up accessory coverage for motorcycle's on the progressive sit you will see trike convertion kits listed.The major problem is the people you talk to when calling the 800 #'s don't know anything about motorcycles.If all else fails ask to talk to a supervisor.My premium will increase $47.00,not to bad.