IGNORED

2011 Outlook

FROG MAN

How does the job market look for you? Our company is doing a major change of operations gearing up for the future. I guess change must come losing some people and positions and hiring increases for other departments.Looks like this old dog has to learn some new tricks to stay ahead of the game.My position is firm just need to go back to school.

I was very fortunate in 2006 when I found the job I have. We have a long-standing, renewable government contract which, at the time I was hired, was renewed for 8 years. This provides me with job security thru to June, 2014. At that time I will be 67 and will most likely retire.

I ran restaurants, hotels and finally worked in commission sales until the retailer (Eaton's) I worked for closed up in 1998. I thought it was the end of the world, or at least close to it, until I started looking around and talked to a Job counsellor with the Provincial govt. She asked me what I liked to do and informed that i was a good candidate for a computer networking course and there was a big demand in that field at that time. She also got me into a mature student program that paid for 80%of my course if I was to pass it. So I went back to school when i was 40 and it was tough trying to work enough hours to support 3 kids and a wife, and still have time to complete a one year course ahead of schedule.

In the long run it was a great move, my wages went way up and i am working mon-friday.

So as scary as things look to you right now, when you get into it, it wont be too bad at all, and when you get out the other end, youll look back and wonder why things looked so intimidating.

Brian

Ok, sob story. Ok not so sobby but! I work for a US government contractor for almost 4 years. It was a minority owned, disabled vet, small business. It provided workers in the medical field, PT's, PTA's, PA's,MD's, Nurses and clerical positions. I worked as a Medical Records Clerk. Last June we, I mean all of us was informed that the company had lost it contract. They said it was because became to big for the stipulated contract and so it was terminated and so was all of us. Now, as with most gov. contracts we thought that another contractor would come in take over the contract thus saving us from having to update our resumes. We were given 30 days notice. A new contractor did not come riding in on their white horses and save the day. Didn't happen. My wife works as a licensed Physical Therapy Assistant for a temp staffing agency. She had knee replacement surgery in August and I had my knee surgery in October. She went back to work on Dec. 20th. I haven't worked since last July.

I have not collected a dime of unemployment benefits even tho I am entitled. To be fully entitled you have to be able to look for and are seeking employment to collect. I on the other hand used the time to help my wife in physical rehab and then to have my own knee replaced. For the record my left knee was replaced 3 times and now I am working on my first for my right knee. I am now currently looking for a new gov. contract work.

I guess I won't collect any money from Obama's stash of cash. :big-grin-emoticon: :rasberry:

Rick

I am going to downsize I fired the last bum and I'm going to sell some equipment. There is an abundance of business here but no one that wants a job. I can't believe with 20 million people collecting unemployment you still can't find people that want to work no matter how much you pay them.

I am going to downsize I fired the last bum and I'm going to sell some equipment. There is an abundance of business here but no one that wants a job. I can't believe with 20 million people collecting unemployment you still can't find people that want to work no matter how much you pay them.

Hey Redneck can I come down and work for you? The Warden really expects me to do something!!!

No worries here. As long as you all need electricity, I'll have my job.:smile5:

And if the gub'ment keeps extending unemployment benefits, why would they want to work? They can just sit at home and draw a check. Bad habit to get into.

...and as long as folks keep needing to borrow money to buy motorcycles, ATV's, jet skis, snowmobiles, landscape maintenance equipment and trailers, I guess I'll stay employed. We'll do just under $1 billion in loans this year alone for that stuff. Pretty amazing. Need to hang in there for 9 more years, and then I can hopefully hang it up and let the wife support me for awhile!

Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone gets what they want. Me? I just want peace on earth. (Well, and maybe a new set of ME880's!) :big-grin-emoticon: