IGNORED

What Should we Buy?

SilvrT

Sorry, not a scoot but...

We've come to the realization that our '96 Dakota just WILL NOT take us to the end of the road (that being into our "twilite" years ... appx 15 yrs from now) so we have a decision to make ... we need to replace it with a new(er) truck. Yes, it has to be a truck. We're thinking a 2008 or 2009 model year. Has to be an extended cab, has to have V8 power, automatic trans.

We're looking for some guidance on what ya'll feel would be the most reliable truck out there at the most affordable price. Don't want a 4x4 and don't need anything bigger than a heavy half (1500).

To give some of my preferences ... firstly I like Dodge product, then GMC. Never been a Found On Road Dead person but hey, what do I know about these newer ones?? Don't like Nissan but Toyota ain't bad .... Mazda maybe? (but that's just a Ford in disguise isn't it?) ... Really don't care for the looks of the Chev Colorado.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated?

Guest scarylarry

Unless dodge has made alot of changes, the tranny was weak and fuel mielage sucks compare to the other 2..

I love my ford FX2 sport model no problems at all but it only has 70k mile on it and never been in the shop.

GM makes a good truck, I just never had good luck with one..

Guest scarylarry

My 1/2 ton 02 dodge tranny was slipping at 23k, I never tow with and the tech told me that dodge weakness was the tranny, that was all I had to go on..

Lifetime warranty maybe since they had to do something to attract people back, I'm not bashing dodge, I would buy a diesel if I towed much they are the best diesel running, hard to beat a cummins, just not a gasser..

Dodge hasn't really had a trans problem since the early 90's to speak of. If I didn't buy a Dodge I would buy a Toyota. I worked for Chrysler for 15 years before I started teaching automotive and is still my first love.

Really? Please keep buying them, they are great for business. The nissan and the Toyota have been the most reliable, unless you got to a heavy 3/4 ton GMC/Chevy, which has a bullet proof trans and engine.

As for dodge, transfer case problems, differential problems, and transmission problems. Dodge accounted for 30% of all of my transmissions last year.

My money is the Toyota and NIssan once again.

I have an 08 f-150 super cab Love the truck, but would have to say if the Toyota tundra was in the money I would have leaned that way. They all make good products it is a matter of finding the one that is right for you. Good luck how much you want for your 96? I am in the market to get something for my kids.

I've been a Chevy fan for MANY years. Starting in high school with a 1960 Belaire and many after that. It would take a while for me to go back and count how many GM cars and trucks I have owned but probably no less than 30 and probably a lot more.

When we moved to Ohio about 10 years ago, I worked at a Chevy dealership for about 3 years. It was during that time that I started seeing that they had some inherent problems across many models that they simply refused to re-engineer. Yes, they would cover the repairs while the vehicle was under warranty but many of the cars I saw in there were out of warranty. Some problems they blamed on the owners even if the car was under warranty.

The brakes were the biggest issues that they would sometimes cover and sometimes not.

I saw a LOT of Chevy trucks and cars come in there that were less than two years old and sometimes no more than 12,000 miles that the rotors were warped beyond repair. They would sometimes cover this but not if they weren't pushed to do so because they considered it a wear item. Yes, depending upon your driving habits, pads can wear out fairly quickly but rotors should not have to be replaced at 12,000 miles and it was NOT that the pads had been worn down to the metal, the rotors were simply warped. I also saw a LOT of trucks come in with the rotors eaten up with corrosion. Yes, there is salt on the roads here but there are rotor materials that better deal with it.

Another common problem was their aluminum wheels. Many cases where they could not prevent air leakage. People having to add air to their tires every 3 or 4 days due to the cast aluminum wheels seeping air. Sometimes the wheels would be replaced under warranty and would solve the problem about 50% of the time.

Another issue was intake manifold gaskets. Now MAYBE they have finally changed this over the past few years but there was at LEAST a 10-12 year span where GM used a plastic intake manifold gasket. There was never a question of IF it was going to start leaking, the only question was WHEN. I can tell you for a fact that most anytime we took a used GM vehicle in on trade, we counted on having to replace the intake manifold gasket. There have actually been at least one or two class action lawsuits over this issue.

These are all relatively easy things to fix but GM let these issue drag on for years and years and it somewhat turned me off on their vehicles. Like I said, maybe they have them resolved with the newer models but as late at 2006, I know that the brake and wheel issues still existed and am pretty sure that the intake issue did also.

I just purchased a new 2010 Chevy Tahoe. This is my 5th of this type (2 Tahoes, 1 Yukon, 2 Yukon XLs) and I couldn't be happier. I sold my last Yukon XL with 215,000 miles on it and didn't have any qualms about driving to 250k+. However, it is a business vehicle and it was getting a little ragged.

Chevy/GMC did have difficulties with their brake rotors. However, the last 2 Yukon XLs have gone 80k+ miles before brake service was needed and there was no warping. A couple of my previous trucks did have the problem. Started to show up about 20k and got to where I couldn't stand it at 40k.

Don't know about the intake gaskets. Never had one fail. Maybe I was just lucky.

For the first time in many trucks, I looked at the Fords (would prefer to purchase from a non-Gov't owned company). Nice vehicles but didn't have the gas mileage or features I wanted. Needless to say, I put a lot of miles on and comfort/convenience are important.

GMC/Chevy for me - Ford a close second.

RR

I've owned Ford's without major problems.

I've owned one Chevy, which I got rid off because the seat was hurting my back every day!

And I've owned a number of Dodge's.

After this bail-out crap, I will never buy another new (2009 or later) Dodge or Chevy again! Which leaves Ford if I want to purchase a "domestic" product, or one of the foreign offerings.

just buy what you want, hope for the best. they all have good points and bad, and dont let someone else make your mind up for you. i own 4 of the above trucks, not stuck on any brand nor do i follow the leader. ask yourself what does daddy want.

I've never owned a truck, that being said my family has been primarily a GM family since I was little. My Dad own 2 70's model custom deluxe at the same time, both were great trucks too insofar as I know. we had a Ford station wagon that had no working ac for the life of the car and the windows wouldn't roll down either. Later we had a couple of custom vans and a few olds in the garage. When I married hubby, I had an 84 cutlass ciera (in 2001) he has an 84 and 86 s-10 Blazer. Both had anemic 2.8 V8 engines that just couldn't keep up with the demands of the crazy driving locally and eventually died. We did buy a chevy caprice in 2001 and while it's seeing some age now the only major repair we've had with it was replacing the leds in the digital dash 2 years ago. For us it has been the car of our dreams in that beyond basic maintenance it's needed very little work. My Father in law swears by Chevy and GMC for all his vehicles, he does have a towncar he intended on making a project car a few years ago but gave up because he was throwing more money into it to restore it than he'd see in return.

I know you said you didnt like the Nissan...but if I had the money and needed to get a truck this is the one I would get.

I have taken a few out for a spin...Fords are nice....Nissan was the best.

Its hard to even find a used one around here...they just dont come up for sale very often so that must say something.

I have an 08 f-150 super cab Love the truck, but would have to say if the Toyota tundra was in the money I would have leaned that way. They all make good products it is a matter of finding the one that is right for you. Good luck how much you want for your 96? I am in the market to get something for my kids.

I want to get $2000 for it. It's a high-miler, runs good, solid body, V8 auto ... top of the line model but the orig owner was a heavy smoker and the interior has a lot of butt-burns. It does need some TLC. Rubber is Michelin and lots of tread left. New shocks, new rad, new cat convertor, trailer hitch, new rear bumper... needs drivers door power window motor but I'm working on that.

Owned Dodge products all my life and have never had a trans to fail. My PT Cruiser has 190,000 miles and no problems.

I've had 3 different Dodge trucks, the last two being Dakotas. BOTH have had trans problems. Replaced the trans on my '94 at appx 160,000 Kms and on this 96, I needed some valve replaced... not a big deal...only $450 but heck, this thing has 308,000 kms on it. No idea what's been done before I got it.

Sorry, not a scoot but...

We've come to the realization that our '96 Dakota just WILL NOT take us to the end of the road (that being into our "twilite" years ... appx 15 yrs from now) so we have a decision to make ... we need to replace it with a new(er) truck. Yes, it has to be a truck. We're thinking a 2008 or 2009 model year. Has to be an extended cab, has to have V8 power, automatic trans.

We're looking for some guidance on what ya'll feel would be the most reliable truck out there at the most affordable price. Don't want a 4x4 and don't need anything bigger than a heavy half (1500).

To give some of my preferences ... firstly I like Dodge product, then GMC. Never been a Found On Road Dead person but hey, what do I know about these newer ones?? Don't like Nissan but Toyota ain't bad .... Mazda maybe? (but that's just a Ford in disguise isn't it?) ... Really don't care for the looks of the Chev Colorado.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated?

Maybe this will help you.

I am a Chrysler corp. retiree who worked in the Dodge City complex making Dodge/Ram trucks for 32 years. If you decide on a new Ram truck I can get you an employee discount. If you are interested PM me and we can talk about it. :thumbsup:

....Nissan was the best.

Its hard to even find a used one around here...they just dont come up for sale very often so that must say something.

probably because there's not that many on the road.

There are tons of used Ford trucks ... they are like the Harley ... Ford (and Harley) sell more product than anyone.