IGNORED

If you could trade your Venture for a Goldwing

zooer

I can't see trading in either of my Ventures on a Wing, but that is just me. Obviously some on here have done so and are enjoying the ride. If it came to the point where something happened to my Ventures and I could not replace them, then the Wing would be pretty high on my list of possibles.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, no shape, no form! Now saying that would I like the 1800 power Yes, The ABS yes, The GPS type screen with all the frills yes, But they don't have the cassette player like we do! This is my 3rd RSV not all by choice, but this is the ride for me. Quote Ken :1 Verse:1 as for me and my house we will ride a RSV.

No way, no shape, no form! Now saying that would I like the 1800 power Yes, The ABS yes, The GPS type screen with all the frills yes, But they don't have the cassette player like we do! This is my 3rd RSV not all by choice, but this is the ride for me. Quote Ken :1 Verse:1 as for me and my house we will ride a RSV.

Is that the Ken James Version? :think:

:2132:Lets be fair here this is a Yamaha site and a great one at that. I just traded my 05 RSTD for a 2010 Goldwing. I have also been on a RSV, great bikes. Had i started with a Venture i most likely would never looked at the Wing. The Wing has much more power and handles way better then the two Yamahas i rode. They have a true front fairing that is stationary does not move with the wheel. No wobble on hard turns or in wind drafts.They hold the road much better. The Venture and the RSTD rears always kicked out on me. As far as getting blown all over.The true fairing on the Wing handles with out any wobbling. Great no fear passing or getting passed by a the big rigs. Wings Handle great in the rainy weather can"t wait to get better rubber then the stock tires.

They have much more room and comfort. The ABS brakes are a great feature and work well.

Even the aero dynamics of the Wing surpasses the Venture. As far as comfort i will admit if your over 6 feet it will take some getting use to. I was also concerned about the comfort not having the foot boards and the feet room like the Venture. But the wing is truly very comfortable as you get use to it. Once again the total design of the Goldwing is amazing. I have it 18 days now both pegs and my boots have scrape marks all over them this is something i had a hard time doing with my RSTD. Again this is the best site on the web i love it. But lets rate them fairly with all the features.

Sir,

Putting aside all levity and the jesting we all may take part in with good fun about other bikes; I would like to make some objective, as opposed to subjective comments..

It is to be noted that bikes, like oil and cars, inherently boil down to personal likes, dislikes and choice.

As I mentioned previously, I have been the proud and happy owner of two Goldwings. A 1500 and an 1800. I rode them for many, many kilometers and long, full days in the saddle.

I am 5' 10" and weigh 160 pounds. I was a local GWRRA chapter member for years. I learned how to ride, corner, read curves and ride them by some of the best Goldwing riders it has been my privilege to learn from.

One of those instructors was over 76 years old at the time and once rode for the Goldwing Precision riding team in Phoenix, Arizona. Many the day I remember when he and I would find a great, local section of windy twisty road and he would follow me and coach me through the turns and corners over the CB radio.

I have been on Chapter rides with over a dozen Goldwings strung out in the standard Goldwing formation according to GWRRA Road Pilot dogma, and the only ones who were not really having a white-knuckle, scary ride were the ride instructors and a few of the fortunate who had learned how to ride in the wind.

I preface my comments in order to establish a modicum of credibility for what I am about to say.

IMHO, I found from day one that the Wings got blown around more than any other bike I have ever owned. Now before you say, you only weigh 160 pounds, of course it's going to blow the bike around," kind of comment, rider weight has nothing to do with it. I will concede that rider ability does if said rider does not understand how to counter-steer. Then it can be downright terrifying. And as far as weight goes, the person I bought my 1800 Wing from weighed in at probably almost 300 pounds. If the wind was blowing he would not ride.

OK. Both of these bikes are awesome bikes and both have their fierce and staunch supporters. I apologize right now to any Goldwing owner who was insulted by my previous remarks. They say that forgiveness is good for the soul so if you can forgive me then I will consider myself twice blessed.

When I purchased my first 2001 RSV and took it out on one of my first rides, my friend who was with me and who rode a 1999 RSV commented over the CB, "Chris, do you notice that cross-wind?" I thought and felt for a moment and replied, "What cross-wind are you referring to?" He replied like Kipling in his tale, "How the Elephant Got His Nose," Vantage number One!"

The faring is something you get used to. And there are ways to negate any wobble on the RSV when cornering. The most significant of which is suspension set-up and tire pressure. I have practiced this. Deflate the tires mush out the suspension and work some curves. Ughhhh.

Amp the suspension, inflate tires accordingly taking into account ambient temperature and the fact that tires have already warmed up and do it again.

Wow! Amazing. No more mushy, bounding ride.

As far as weather protection, I always felt that the RSV had the Wing beat hands down. I know a lot of 1800 Wingers who grumbled and complained about the money they had to spend in order to amp up the weather protection to something that was at least comfortable.

At one point in May of 2003 I had two bikes in my garage. A 1999 RSV and an 1800 Goldwing. So I confess I experimented a bit. I would take my RSV, ride the same route and section of twisty road, come straight home and hop on the 1800 Wing and ride the same route over again. I did this over the course of a two week period every day after work at least once.

The Wing has more power that's a gimmee. But as far as handling and competence on the road and in the corners, the Wing did not out handle the RSV. The RSV turns tighter, quicker and leans further, than the Wing does each and every time.

Sure we have all seen the You tube of the guy on the Yellow 1800 Wing riding the Dragon. A wonderful video and no doubt a superb, skilled rider who could take any bike you hand him and drag his hardware all over the road.

Comfort. IMHO, I criss-crossed Alberta and BC on my 1800 Wing and comfort wise, I could never get it quite just so I could ride it all day without pain across my arm neck and shoulders and a numb butt.

I have done likewise on my RSV and again, for me, never had the pain issues I have had on the Wings. The only other bike that was on a par comfort wise was my 2006 HD Electra-Glide Ultra Classic.

So. I'm not saying that if you are a Wing rider, you made a bad choice, or that my RSV is a better bike. Just stand the bikes side by side and you can tell they are a totally different bike built by two manufactures who looked at long distance touring through two distinctly different perspectives. The result of which we see.

Both are awesome rides. Having owned two of the Honda variants and two of the Yamaha variants I can testify to that. (I rode a 1st gen Venture for five years.)

If there were a 2010 Honda Goldwing and a 2010 Yamaha RSV parked side by side and someone said you can have either one, the choice is yours. I would do what 99.99% of us would do. I would sit on both of them, bounce a bit in the saddle, turn the handlebars and would choose the 2010 RSV. For me it just feels like it was made to fit me and that would be it.

Someone else would do the same thing and choose the Wing. We both would go home as happy as a clam each convinced we had made the best decision for us.

And you know what, he would be absolutely correct.

To my kindred GoldWing owners and riders. I wish you many wonderful and happy miles. I wish you joy with your choice, and may you and your co-rider find those golden roads where the sun shines bright and the wind skates your path softly.

Respectfully and humbly submitted

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Ride Long, Ride Hard, and my the Wind Skate Your Path Softly.

I think a lot of the differences we're seeing here depends on where you're coming from. For me, coming off a 900SS and an FJR I found the RSV to be very heavy at low speed and a little "awkward" in its handling. The Wing feels much more like a sport tourer and just "fits" my riding style better. I suspect that if someone is in to "cruisers" the RSV would feel much more natural to them than it did to me. Personal preferences I suppose. (Think how boring life would be if we ALL liked exactly the same thing!) I did find rider comfort on the RSV to be outstanding, and I'd give it a slight edge over the Wing in that category (just my 2 cents). For low speed handling, power, etc. the Wing is the winner.

Whatever you ride, Ride Safe and Enjoy the machine that fits YOU!!:innocent-emoticon:

I think a lot of the differences we're seeing here depends on where you're coming from. For me, coming off a 900SS and an FJR I found the RSV to be very heavy at low speed and a little "awkward" in its handling. The Wing feels much more like a sport tourer and just "fits" my riding style better. I suspect that if someone is in to "cruisers" the RSV would feel much more natural to them than it did to me. Personal preferences I suppose. (Think how boring life would be if we ALL liked exactly the same thing!) I did find rider comfort on the RSV to be outstanding, and I'd give it a slight edge over the Wing in that category (just my 2 cents). For low speed handling, power, etc. the Wing is the winner.

Whatever you ride, Ride Safe and Enjoy the machine that fits YOU!!:innocent-emoticon:

Well spoken,

OldBear,

I just sold my 2010 Kawi C-14 and made the decision for me, to go back to the RSV. I just could not make the C-14 fit me. I loved the handling, the ride, the power, but I had to concede that I am 57 and my sport-touring days are over.

Chris

Sir,

Putting aside all levity and the jesting we all may take part in with good fun about other bikes; I would like to make some objective, as opposed to subjective comments..

Respectfully and humbly submitted

Ride Long, Ride Hard, and my the Wind Skate Your Path Softly.

Wow, that was some heck of a read! Now tell us, which bike do you really like best?

:missingtooth:

No. I, or should I say "we" have put many s[miles] on this out-dated Yamaha. The fact that I can tear this bike apart in a matter of minutes and fix it myself coupled with the knowledge that this V4 is a basically indestructible engine have us right where we feel comfortable. Everyone talks of the Goldwings from the drivers seat but lets not forget about the passengers. Who we all know are those "whom must be obeyed". The adjustable backrest has more than once made the whole riding experience more of a pleasure throughout the day for her. True the seat on the wing is very comfy but not adjustable. Pity. I could go on and on. So no.:D

IMHO, I found from day one that the Wings got blown around more than any other bike I have ever owned.

I always felt that the RSV had the Wing beat hands down.

But as far as handling and competence on the road and in the corners, the Wing did not out handle the RSV.

and no doubt a superb, skilled rider who could take any bike you hand him and drag his hardware all over the road.

the 2010 RSV. For me it just feels like it was made to fit me

And you know what, he would be absolutely correct.

:thumbdown:is this guy for real?

has he had too much pre-Grey Cup libation?

does anyone else want to help me give his head a shake?

Its one thing to argue that you got a bike that you feel right on, good for you; BUT ITS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING to argue logically and empirically on quantitative things like engine performance, cornering ability, and wind and weather protection.

So, I gotta ask, how does a GWRRA Mr. Chapter guy, a Mr. Trained by 76 yr old Heros, a Mr. Owned and Rode Them All guy come to the conclusion that an RSV can be cornered like a Wing with a good rider, that an RSV has better weather protection, that an RSV doesn't get blown around in the wind?

Come on VR members...step right up if you want to help me give this guy's head a big shake!!!

I think a lot of the differences we're seeing here depends on where you're coming from.

sure, I agree, BUT not if its something you can measure quantitatively, and the above mentioned "shakey guy expert" was not only talking about feely stuff.

Its one thing to argue that you got a bike that you feel right on, good for you; BUT ITS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING to argue logically and empirically on quantitative things like engine performance, cornering ability, and wind and weather protection.

So, I gotta ask, how does a GWRRA Mr. Chapter guy, a Mr. Trained by 76 yr old Heros, a Mr. Owned and Rode Them All guy come to the conclusion that an RSV can be cornered like a Wing with a good rider, that an RSV has better weather protection, that an RSV doesn't get blown around in the wind?

Come on VR members...step right up if you want to help me give this guy's head a big shake!!!

sure, I agree, BUT not if its something you can measure quantitatively, and the above mentioned "shakey guy expert" was not only talking about feely stuff.

Hey Swifty, I'll help ya! Maybe I shouldn't since I ride an 03 Wing, but since you asked....

I honestly wondered the same things after reading this comparison. I have owned 2 RSV's and still admire the bike. I have owned 3 Goldwings, the current being the 1800. Even though I do like the RSV, there is no way in creation that an RSV can match the handling, the weather protection, or the performance of the GL1800. The Wing seems to be like a steed that can somehow read my mind and anticipate my actions. She's into and out of curves on a steady, aggressive line with what seems like zero effort on my part. The RSV requires conscious thought and effort to handle challenging roads, and even then will not stay with the Wing. My previous Wing was the 1500....and I'd say that that Venture was close or even in handling when compared with that bike. But not with the 1800....nope.

As many have pointed out, we each (hopefully) ride what we like. I won't criticize anyone's choice of what they ride. If I could swing it I would still have an RSV (or, dare I say it...a 1st Gen) in addition to my wing. I'm a hopeless addict when it comes to bikes. I want one of each!

Wish it was warmer, I got myself all worked up just thinking about riding that Red steed!

i'm with you on this one swifty. first off a little about swifty. the man can ride and knows of what he speaks. i have rode with him. there is no way in hell a venture will out handle a wing. not even in the same league. i rode behind swifty on my wing and he on his first gen. i consider myself to be a fairly good rider in the twisties. i rode my rstd with all the venture goodies behind 86'er and wingman at vogel and could'nt stay with them in the curves. i was at the limit draggin the boards. the venture has extreme frame flex when pushed to the limit and wallows in the curves. if yours doesn't wallow then you ain't anywhere close to the limit. 86'r was on his first gen and wingman was on his gl 1800 i was draggin the boards, infact i pinched my foot with the right board a couple of time, and i could'nt stay with them on my yamaha. i've had a couple of crotch rockets, an r6 , and a zx-14. my wing is the only bike out of some 76 that i have owned that had a feel anywhere close to them. the wing was designed by hondas chief sportbike designer to give sportbike like handling, and he did well. it handles so well it will make you over confident and get you in trouble if your not a skilled rider in the twisties. ventures are gret bikes and i think it is among the best looking bikes on the road. but it just ain't no wing. my new focus is the best car i've ever owned but it ain't no lamborgini. i love my nomad as much as any bike i've ever owned and would'nt trade it for a new wing even. but it ain't no wing and never will come close. snarley bill :stirthepot:

If you could trade your Venture straight out even swap for a loaded Goldwing, would you? :motorcyclehelmet:

I totaled my RSV and bought an Airbag Goldwing to replace it.... It did cost me a few dollars difference...

BTW, I dont recomend crashing a bike to get a diffrent one.

Edited by KiteSquid

Hey Swifty, I'll help ya!

i'm with you on this one swifty. first off a little about swifty. the man can ride and knows of what he speaks. i have rode with him.

...whew, sanity has not lost its grip on us all yet. Winter may have taken its toll on some of us but it appears we still have some time left before we are all lost to cabin fever. Enjoy it while it lasts.

:crackup:

As many have pointed out, we each (hopefully) ride what we like. I won't criticize anyone's choice of what they ride. If I could swing it I would still have an RSV (or, dare I say it...a 1st Gen) in addition to my wing. I'm a hopeless addict when it comes to bikes. I want one of each!

Wish it was warmer, I got myself all worked up just thinking about riding that Red steed!

That's what I did... got one of each.;)

I use to own an 08 RSV and on August 31st 2010, someone hit me and totaled it out. I recently bought a 06 wing and here are my opinions on this subject...many of which are already mentioned. Last summer my wife and I, rode the RSV on a 2400 mile vacation pulling a trailer and we had a blast. No issues at all. The RSV had more than enough power to get the job done. But I did have to spend quite a bit of money to get it where I was comfortable on long trips. First, I ended up having to install a set of 3 inch pullback handlebars to get the grips closer to me. On long rides, I would get a cramp in my mid back because I was having to reach for the handlebars. On rides 1 day or less, no back pain. On the first long ride I went on during the heat of the summer, I ended up with blisters on my inner thighs from the seat. It seemed to be worse when I put my feet on the highway bars so I bought a corbin seat. I didn't really like the corbin but I never got blisters again. After that, I could ride sun up to sundown with no issues and the RSV provided me and my wife with many miles of fun riding. About 2 months ago, I bought a 06 wing. Although the specs say the wing actually weighs more than the RSV, it feels about 100 lbs lighter due to the lower center of gravity. The wings sound system is superior and the wing far exceeds the RSV on handling and power. As previously mentioned in other posts, the rear of the RSV would "wonder" if I layed it over in a turn very far. I havent' found the point at which the wing "wonders" in a corner and I have layed it over pretty far....it is rock solid!! Slow speed handling, great! I do like the floorboards on the RSV and the ability to "stretch out" better than the wing but I am in no means "uncomfortable" on the wing. I'm 6'-0", 230 lbs and I don't have an issue getting comfortable on the wing but it is different and does take a little getting use to. With all that said, I have only had the opportunity to go on 1 long day trip of about 500 miles and I felt fine and don't foresee any issues with longer trips on the wing.

I have no personal interest on what kind of bike others ride and some may disagree with my findings on the RSV vs. the wing and that is OK. I don't really like bashing other makes of bikes because we all have different type bikes for different reasons and we all hold them near and dear to our hearts. I liked my RSV and had it not got totaled, I would still have it and wouldn't be considering any other bike and my opinions are not intended to bash the RSV. My RSV was a good bike and I liked it greatly. But, life didn't deal me the opportunity to keep it

Ride safe!!!

I use to own an 08 RSV and on August 31st 2010, someone hit me and totaled it out. I recently bought a 06 wing and here are my opinions on this subject...many of which are already mentioned. Last summer my wife and I, rode the RSV on a 2400 mile vacation pulling a trailer and we had a blast. No issues at all. The RSV had more than enough power to get the job done. But I did have to spend quite a bit of money to get it where I was comfortable on long trips. First, I ended up having to install a set of 3 inch pullback handlebars to get the grips closer to me. On long rides, I would get a cramp in my mid back because I was having to reach for the handlebars. On rides 1 day or less, no back pain. On the first long ride I went on during the heat of the summer, I ended up with blisters on my inner thighs from the seat. It seemed to be worse when I put my feet on the highway bars so I bought a corbin seat. I didn't really like the corbin but I never got blisters again. After that, I could ride sun up to sundown with no issues and the RSV provided me and my wife with many miles of fun riding. About 2 months ago, I bought a 06 wing. Although the specs say the wing actually weighs more than the RSV, it feels about 100 lbs lighter due to the lower center of gravity. The wings sound system is superior and the wing far exceeds the RSV on handling and power. As previously mentioned in other posts, the rear of the RSV would "wonder" if I layed it over in a turn very far. I havent' found the point at which the wing "wonders" in a corner and I have layed it over pretty far....it is rock solid!! Slow speed handling, great! I do like the floorboards on the RSV and the ability to "stretch out" better than the wing but I am in no means "uncomfortable" on the wing. I'm 6'-0", 230 lbs and I don't have an issue getting comfortable on the wing but it is different and does take a little getting use to. With all that said, I have only had the opportunity to go on 1 long day trip of about 500 miles and I felt fine and don't foresee any issues with longer trips on the wing.

I have no personal interest on what kind of bike others ride and some may disagree with my findings on the RSV vs. the wing and that is OK. I don't really like bashing other makes of bikes because we all have different type bikes for different reasons and we all hold them near and dear to our hearts. I liked my RSV and had it not got totaled, I would still have it and wouldn't be considering any other bike and my opinions are not intended to bash the RSV. My RSV was a good bike and I liked it greatly. But, life didn't deal me the opportunity to keep it

Ride safe!!!

I couldn't have said it better John!:thumbsup2:

Did you do anything to the bike? I'm serious about the fit issue and have sat on alot of 1800's with the same result.

not yet as I only have 1200 miles on it, but I am looking into highway pegs, a kit to raise the handlebars and a kit to move the drivers pegs down and forward, but I don't have any disposable dollars till after January........

You got to ride a GL1800 for several hours to understand the bike. I got a dealership to let me take a four hour test ride on a new bike........... and I was sold........

I do think the GL1800 was designed by a group from Tupperware.....