IGNORED

If you could trade your Venture for a Goldwing

zooer

This might not make me an expert on this subject, but I've owned every model GW since Apr 75 (BTW, I was 23 at the time I got my 1st Goldwing---(does that make me an "old man" before my time???), one of each size CC through the years. 11 years ago I owned a 1997 Valkyrie and a 98 SE Goldwing. I went to the Yamaha dealer to test ride the New Venture (I've owned 4 1st Gens through the mid 80s thru the early 90s). Anyway, I took the Venture out and when I got on the freeway to accelerate I was totally disappointed in the bike compared to the 1st Gens I had owned earlier. I couldn't get off the freeway fast enough and high-tail it back to the dealer to retrieve my Valk, thanking the salesman, hoped on my Valk and "hauled butt" out of there. When the new 01 Goldwing was released I traded both my Valk & my 98 SE for a new 01 Pearl Blue Goldwing without even riding it. I got to the dealer early the morning of the un-crating and final delivery, the whole time thinking to my self "have I made a major screw-up, trading my customized Valk and totally decked-out SE for this new model?" Well, after all the paperwork was done and they handed my the keys to the bike, I hoped on and after the 1st mile I was thinking to myself "Valk & SE Goldwing?---What Valk & SE Goldwing?" It was without a doubt the best thing I've ever done as far as trading for another bike. BTW, I've owned 5 GL1800s over the last 10 yrs and 2 1st Gen Ventures in the last yr and I'm keeping the 87 I just acquired (the bike in the middle) with 24K miles on the clock until they pry the handlebars out of my dead hands!!! YOMV

Edited by tv5150

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, that would be the Honda PC800 Pacific Coast. That bike makes the GL1800 look like a naked cruiser!

Thanks for the correction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Honda_PC_800.jpg/800px-Honda_PC_800.jpg

http://order.tupperware.com:8080/coe-images/home/logo.gif

Edited by KiteSquid

I could easily trade a 2nd Gen for a Goldwing. Wouldnt think twice. For all of you that say your not old enough to ride a Goldwing may have been true for the old versions of the GW but not for the 1800. Actually I consider you old if your riding a bike that looks like it was made in 1947.

Nah, but mine may get coupled with my Sportster and traded for a '11 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Sorry, but I still like Harleys....

I'd Love to have the Harley but I ride to many miles a year and can't see spending $25,000 on a bike I will have to rebuild every 3 years. If and when they make it water cooled then I will buy one.

As for trading for a gold wing no thanks don't like the bike and I had one before and I ride with a bunch of them since I am a GWRRA member also.

as for the miles I put on a year, since I believe the Harley won't last, I have put on 61,000 miles in the last 2 years.

GL1800 ... a Blue one like in TV5150's post .. yeessssssssssssssss!!!

Some might recall earlier thread of mine stating that I was going to get a Wing. In fact, I still want one but it's hard to make that "jump" ....

Our RSMV will be fully paid for by May next year. Once that bill is paid, we will be debt free. Our plan is to then funnel all our extra money into our retirement savings. With only a bit over 3 years to go, we need to save as much as we can and we're counting on all things remaining the same between now and then. So the dilemma ... do we borrow more and get a Wing or stick with the RSMV? .... it's almost a no-brainer.

As for a comparison between my scoot and an 1800 Wing .... seems there's a lot of pro's and con's being posted here. Some statements make me think that some ppl are either b/s ing or just don't know what they're talking about. I rode an '03 Wing a couple times ... I had that thing up over 200 km/h on the freeway and it didn't matter if I was running at the speed limit or at 200, that bike was rock solid and handled like a dream .... it actually gave me a scary feeling of confidence. Twisties were also a breeze not to mention the ease of manouverability in a parking lot. The thing practically drives itself. My only complaint was that the seat wasn't comfortable.

Would I trade my RSMV for an 1800 Wing??? ... I say again... in a HEARTBEAT ... if I could afford it. But, that is not to say I don't like my RSMV. ... It's a great bike and I love the looks but it's a bike you have to work at to drive it (compared to a Wing at least) and I'm getting too old to be workin any harder than I have to.

(just my $0.05)

I'd Love to have the Harley but I ride to many miles a year and can't see spending $25,000 on a bike I will have to rebuild every 3 years. If and when they make it water cooled then I will buy one.

As for trading for a gold wing no thanks don't like the bike and I had one before and I ride with a bunch of them since I am a GWRRA member also.

as for the miles I put on a year, since I believe the Harley won't last, I have put on 61,000 miles in the last 2 years.

That's weird. I have read many threads on the HD forum, and I haven't run across anybody that has had to rebuild a Evo motor every three years, but I have read several that put that many miles and more on their Ultras every year. I guess you must be one of those guys that believes everything you hear and read on the interwebs...

That's weird. I have read many threads on the HD forum, and I haven't run across anybody that has had to rebuild a Evo motor every three years, but I have read several that put that many miles and more on their Ultras every year. I guess you must be one of those guys that believes everything you hear and read on the interwebs...

Nope Not even sure I have read anything like that. My info is from people I know that ride the Electra Glide. Somewhere around 100,000 miles it needs motor work. Like I said I love the Harley but since it is air cooled it will not run the miles of the RSV or Goldwing

Are you sure you aren't the one who believes what they read on the interweb?

Nope Not even sure I have read anything like that. My info is from people I know that ride the Electra Glide. Somewhere around 100,000 miles it needs motor work. Like I said I love the Harley but since it is air cooled it will not run the miles of the RSV or Goldwing

I hear this so often but have yet to hear exactly what motorwork they need, nor have I had anyone mention what percentage of the total of these bikes (specifically the Electra Glide) are requiring this so-called motorwork. Can you provide this info as I'm really curious to know.

Are you sure you aren't the one who believes what they read on the interweb?

Nope...What I know comes from owning a motorcycle shop and what I have parked in the garage...

Not sure how many friends you have on HD's, but since you allude to the majority of them needing work I'm guessing it's in the hundreds of thousands. Good on you for being so friendly:thumbsup2:

Nope...What I know comes from owning a motorcycle shop and what I have parked in the garage...

Not sure how many friends you have on HD's, but since you allude to the majority of them needing work I'm guessing it's in the hundreds of thousands. Good on you for being so friendly:thumbsup2:

WOW didn't like what I said so you want to to attempt to attack me or come across as knowing so much more than me . But Remember you don't know me so sorry I offended you or what ever it was you didn't like. I stand impressed

So are you saying that at 100,000 miles I will not have had to do the top end, anything to the valves or cams or mains and rod bearings? You know better

Edited by Rick Haywood

WOW didn't like what I said so you want to to attempt to attack me or come across as knowing so much more than me . But Remember you don't know me so sorry I offended you or what ever it was you didn't like. I stand impressed

So are you saying that at 100,000 miles I will not have had to do the top end, anything to the valves or cams or mains and rod bearings? You know better

Wow...you seem easily offended. Sorry if I was too blunt. I only know what I have had experience with, and nothing more. I cannot say that you would not have to rebuild the top end of any engine at 100K miles, because I don't know your riding style. I know that I have never had to rebuild a modern Evo engine at over that mileage, but I have had to work on early Evos with much less mileage. I have also had to work on many more metrics with less mileage than that, but there are way more of them out there. Air cooled engines shouldn't frighten anyone. They've been made for a lot longer than water cooled engines. If you maintain them properly, and don't run the guts out of them they will be fine, just like any engine.

My father in-law has a HD Ultra Classic. At about 70,000 miles this past summer he had to rebuild the whole top end. Ended up converting the cams from chain drive to gear drive? Cost him about $1700. He fixes the bike on a yearly basis. Back in August in a span of three weeks, I saw two HD's along the side of the rode at the exit I get off at on separate days. Both times I pulled over on my RSV and asked if they needed help. Both times they were waiting for the dealer to come and pick them up. I personally have seen more HD's along the side of the road waiting for assistance than any other bike. I am not slamming them, just an observation. I like the looks and styling of Harleys, but for the money they want for a new or even a used bike......I will stick to my Yammy.

Wow...you seem easily offended. Sorry if I was too blunt. I only know what I have had experience with, and nothing more. I cannot say that you would not have to rebuild the top end of any engine at 100K miles, because I don't know your riding style. I know that I have never had to rebuild a modern Evo engine at over that mileage, but I have had to work on early Evos with much less mileage. I have also had to work on many more metrics with less mileage than that, but there are way more of them out there. Air cooled engines shouldn't frighten anyone. They've been made for a lot longer than water cooled engines. If you maintain them properly, and don't run the guts out of them they will be fine, just like any engine.

I do not want to stoke the fires. But I bought a 2000 HD Ultra-Classic in 1999. It was the most beautiful machine I ever saw. I was proud to pay $21,500 for it and add $3000 in chrome. I wish that was the end of the story. I ride a lot of miles a year and my new Ultra left me stranded in Dalla, TX at 1900 miles. Under warranty they replaced the stator. At 3100 miles it left me stranded in the Poconos, but they fixed it under warranty (stator). At 4900 miles I was left on the side of the road in St. Louis, MO (stator) but it was fixed under warranty. At 5800 miles I was again on the side of the road in Raleigh, NC (stator) but they repaired it under warranty. Guess what! At 7800 miles it left me on the road in my own town Charlotte, NC (stator). The dealer I bought it from would not come get it-I had to pay to get it to him. All the other times the dealers came and got the bike. The dealer told me it would be three weeks (what the F***). All the other HD dealers had me out at least overnight. "My sealing dealer had to build bikes for Myrtle Beach" is what I was told.

Now after all this...do you think I would keep this machine and ride it cross country? Hell NO. I got it fixed at another dealer and trailered it to a seller and told him to get rid of it.

I now have 135,000 miles on an 02 Royal Star Venture and never had a problem...not one.

:farmer: