IGNORED

Sirius question....

1BigDog

Im looking at adding satellite radio in the next few months. I was looking at the sportster unit. Anyone use this unit? Any mounting issues? Where would be the best place to get a subscription? I heard dealing with Sirius could be a real hassle as their customer service really sux. Any input here would be helpful.

Thanks....

The hubby and I have been Sirius subscribers for YEARS [10+]. In fact, I've had both Sirius and XM at the same time. My current car radio is the Sportster IV. I'm still using my Sirius despite the fact that I could have gotten XM with the car [Nissan]. I luv it. I have the Starmate IV w/boombox in the house and am planning on mounting a permanent outdoor antenna when we get our new deck built.

The Sportster is a good radio. Screen is easy to read and it has the rewind/pause feature so if you want to hear something over, you can. As for mounting it, a RAM unit would work. Also Directed Electronics, who makes/made most of the Sirius radios, used to make a motorcycle specific mount for it's radios. It included the mount, power cord and antenna. There's also a cup holder mount out there, but I'm not sure if it would work in an outdoor cupholder such as the bikes have.

I can't say how crappy or good Sirius customer service is. We have our radios on an auto charge set up and the payments are made without us having to do anything. Never had a serious problem with any of the radios we have had over the years so we haven't had much in the way of contact with them.

Have fun with Sirius. I don't listen to anything else!

I have a Sirius Stratus 5. Works great. I bought the radio with a car mount kit. I use the mounting brackets for the vents and hook them into the speaker grille. I have had to have it replaced uner warranty and had no problems with their service. I've also had my subsctiption "suspended" over the winter as I'm not using it. They were real helpful with that. I highly recommend it.

I Have a Sirius Sportster5 and love it. I had a Sportster 4 (it Died after two years use). I have an old Motorcycle Mounting Kit Sirius does not make it anymore. No issues. Highly recommend Sirius, btw I called Sirius for my radio got it for $81.17. A buddy of mine did the same thing after I told him about the deal that Sirius was offering. Beats the price at Best Buy or Radio Shack. SKU#SDSP5V1-NONREW This was on 10-13-2010.

Im looking at adding satellite radio in the next few months. I was looking at the sportster unit. Anyone use this unit? Any mounting issues? Where would be the best place to get a subscription? I heard dealing with Sirius could be a real hassle as their customer service really sux. Any input here would be helpful.

Thanks....

Ruffy,

I have a Sirius radio. I like mine. Had it for years. I would suggest getting an adapter to hook into your antena behind the fairing. I did and I don't have to change stations on the FM side when I loose a station. It would be like having one in a car. I would also suggest carrying a "zip" lock bag to cover the radio when it rains. A cheap way to keep it dry. My antena is mounted on the mounting bracket for the radio.

I got curious so I did some looking. Check out http://www.tss-radio.com/ . They have quite a few mounting options for sat radios including ones specifically for bikes.

Looked over their site...all of the M/C mounts are out of stock. I got a few months though. Thanks for the link and thanks for the responses, in the forum and privately.:smile5:

I have had Sirius since 2006 and love it on the bikes and in my van, I had a Sirius Inv on my bikes, swapping it from one to the other. I use the mount :dancefool::bighug:that came with my Inv and it works great. My Inv went out and now I cant find another one to replace it. If anyone has one of the smaller ones they wish to part with I would be interested in having it, they just dont have them anywhere I look, Ebay, Sirius, they say they are out of stock, and have been for quite some time, I dont think they are making them anymore.

Ruffy, not trying to hijack your thread, but since it was about Sirius, thought this would be a good place to inquire.

This is what I use... you can get complete sets for car and home for almost nothing... I buy complete set or missing part sets on Ebay. You can get a motorcycle antenna from Cycle Gadgets in Arkansas I have 2 bikes, 4 cars and 2 boats wired buying used Ebay stuff.

Cb

i'm kind of an expert on sirius radios. i have 4 sirius radios including a factory one in my new ford. i have a sportster in my truck. here's a tip. go to radio shack and buy the cheapest one they have. i have two of them and they work just as good as my sportster. sometimes if you call sirius you can get them to give you a free one. i have done it. i have one here i would be willing to give you off my goldwing. check with sirius and see if you can register it in your name and your welcome to it. it has been deactivated in my name. when you buy the radio all you have to do to activate your account is call them and have the radio hooked up ready to go. it takes about five minutes. they just need the no. off the radio. the first radio is $12.95 a month and each additional radio is $8.95. i have never had a problem with sirius. they have my charge card no. and they just put it on my charge every month. it really simplifies things, since i pay my charge off every month.

i'm kind of an expert on sirius radios. i have 4 sirius radios including a factory one in my new ford. i have a sportster in my truck. here's a tip. go to radio shack and buy the cheapest one they have. i have two of them and they work just as good as my sportster. sometimes if you call sirius you can get them to give you a free one. i have done it. i have one here i would be willing to give you off my goldwing. check with sirius and see if you can register it in your name and your welcome to it. it has been deactivated in my name. when you buy the radio all you have to do to activate your account is call them and have the radio hooked up ready to go. it takes about five minutes. they just need the no. off the radio. the first radio is $12.95 a month and each additional radio is $8.95. i have never had a problem with sirius. they have my charge card no. and they just put it on my charge every month. it really simplifies things, since i pay my charge off every month.

Better watch your charge card. I have been with Sirius for yars abd had to go to paper billing because they would short me a month/bill me a month early. I caught them billing me in October for a radio that expired 12-25 and then showing it expired 11-25 the next year. There is no way I would ever give them my charge card again. they also did this with 2 others that I have on a 6 month subscription. I have 5 radio's so they have done this on three of them.