IGNORED

Latest Addition....

OldGazer

As of 8:00 PM EDT Sunday October 31st we are the proud owners of a '91 Two-Tone Blue Venture Royale.

I rode the bike home in the dark on I-95. Since this is my first touring bike, the term "

white-knuckles" comes to mind. The biggest issues was head light glare from behind. Those mirrors are killers. Too bad they can't be adapted to one of my telescopes...:)

Spent the morning tweaking stuff and getting accquainted. Went to take the bike for a short ride, stalled it and it wouldn't start. That's what I get for playing with the radio, CB, and all the pretty lights.... Put in on a tender and left it. Things like this happen for a reason... GF got the insurance, tags and title squared away so the day wasn't completely wasted.

Tomorrow will be spent fine tuning the carbs (idle and mixtures) (BTDT on other multi-carb metrics) and getting ergonomics sorted out.

Looking forward to a better ride tomorrow.

Ride Safe Y'All...

Welcome aboard.. I think you will totally enjoy your new bike. If you have any questions be sure to ask us. You will most likely get lots of answers and some of them may even be right.. Depending on the questions you may start a debate or two ... THAT CAN BE FUN!!

Welcome, Cliff. Your gonna love the Venture, once you get settled in. Check the age of the tires on it. And if they are Brickstones or Metz. I would replace them with Dunlop E3s. Watch out for pebbles in the parking lots and driveways. They will make you slip if your pushing her back from a parking spot or something. Learn how to pick it up...if it should fall over etc. Theres a video on youtube on how to pickup a big bike. A women does it in the vid, the Vent is way heavyer than that sporty.

Welcome Cliff, I recognize you from the IHSG. I just picked up an 86 VR about a month ago and I can assure you it's a lot more comfortable ride on those long hauls than our FE's are. Good to see a familiar face here, there's a bunch of great folks and tons of tech knowledge so pony up the 12 beans and hang out for a bit.

--- Todd (Stormin)

Edited by thughes

As of 8:00 PM EDT Sunday October 31st we are the proud owners of a '91 Two-Tone Blue Venture Royale.

I rode the bike home in the dark on I-95. Since this is my first touring bike, the term "

white-knuckles" comes to mind. The biggest issues was head light glare from behind. Those mirrors are killers. Too bad they can't be adapted to one of my telescopes...:)

Spent the morning tweaking stuff and getting accquainted. Went to take the bike for a short ride, stalled it and it wouldn't start. That's what I get for playing with the radio, CB, and all the pretty lights.... Put in on a tender and left it. Things like this happen for a reason... GF got the insurance, tags and title squared away so the day wasn't completely wasted.

Tomorrow will be spent fine tuning the carbs (idle and mixtures) (BTDT on other multi-carb metrics) and getting ergonomics sorted out.

Looking forward to a better ride tomorrow.

Ride Safe Y'All...

Your new ride will be the best investment you will ever make. The next best investment will be the twelve bucks you pony up to join this group. First tech tip will more than pay you back and how can you put a price on all the good friends and times with brother 1st gen riders... I mean Ventureriders that are destined in your future.

Welcome aboard:thumbsup2:

Thanks for the welcome Y'All.

Spent today cleaning the engine. Love that Gunk Engine Brite!. She still stinks a little, but I'll burn that off pretty quick.

Did some tweaking on the carbs yesterday. Mixtures and sync were way off. Tuned her by ear. Before she was hammering a bit, but she purrs like a Singer Sewing macnine now. Waiting for a carb sync tool and then I'll do it right.

Had a battery issue that left me stranded yesterday. I stalled her about 2 blocks from the house and she wouldn't start. Neighbor let me park her in his drive way and ran an extension cord so I could hook up a tender. rode her home a couple of hours later....

The PO's son told me the battery warning was because they had installed a new sealed battery that didn't have the sensor. Turns out the new Yashua battery was low on water. Topped it off with some distilled water and let her sit on the tender over night. Battery warning is gone and volt meter shows about 13 volts at idle. Terminal voltage is 13.6 according to my DMM. So far so good.

Played with the CLASS system some. Rear shock seems to hold pressure, but the front forks seem to have a leak. They're not blowing oil, so I figure its some where in the plumbing. Time to break out the spray bottle and soapy water....

Brakes are on the mushy side. Gonna bleed 'em ASAP.

Tried getting her up on the center stand. No joy. This sucker is HEAVY! There were two of us pulling (GF and I) and still couldn't get her up. Had the same problem with a Virago XV700. Guess I need a little more "umph" in my backside....

I do have one question about the kick stand. It works fine, but the bike sits almost upright. I expected the bike to lean to the left like every other bike I've seen. This is making me think the stand is a tad too long, like if some on replaced the original?????

Then again it could be the suspension. I can pull the bike over into a lean, but its not very much.....

Later Y'All!

Ride Safe!

Welcome Cliff, I recognize you from the IHSG. I just picked up an 86 VR about a month ago and I can assure you it's a lot more comfortable ride on those long hauls than our FE's are. Good to see a familiar face here, there's a bunch of great folks and tons of tech knowledge so pony up the 12 beans and hang out for a bit.

--- Todd (Stormin)

Hey Todd!

Yepper, the Venture is sweet, but I miss my Sporty. Its laid up with a worn rear tire and a bad battery.... Have to wait until tax time to get her running 'cause we bought the Venture.

Hey Cliff,

Welcome to the site! Here is a suggestion about putting "the pig" up on the center stand, first us the air ride controller to pump up the rear suspension to high, the same with the front. With the ball of your right foot on the "horn" of the center stand and your right hand on the passenger grab rail and your left hand on the handle bars, "Lean back towards the rear of the bike, lock your knee joint, step down on the horn, and pull the bike back wards with your right hand. (not up) If all else fails, a 11/2" galvi pipe nipple from home depot makes a great extension for the stand horn. You will find that the higher air pressure in the rear of the bike will make the bike "Lean Better" as well on the side stand.

Again, welcome to the site, keep asking questions,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Guest Ken8143

Well done Cliff - where about in Virginia are you? Once in a while I head down 81 and depending on where you are we could meet up for a ride.

You will enjoy your bike a lot - you are in for some wonderful riding experiences. And this is a great group of folks.

Tell you what. Instead of trying to fix the "leak in the plumbing" for the front shock - just replace them with progressive springs. It makes a world of difference.

My bike leans way too far to the left and yours not enough. Maybe we should swap out the stands! I carry with me a 3/4 " block to put under the side stand.

Happy riding

- Ken

Welcome aboard.

Mine stands very upright also.

If you increase the air in the suspension that will help the lean but I do not like the ride with that much air. I have a standard so there is no class to make quick air changes. I just have learned to choose my parking spots carefully till I get ambitious enough to shorten the stand a bit.