IGNORED

Rear mono-shock replacement questions:

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere...but I HAVE (honest!) done quite a bit of reading and not found some of them (I swear!!)

1. What percentage of replaced rear shocks are done in/out of warranty (can I see a show of hands?) I only ask because no one seems TOO pissed about having to spend 500 bucks on a hardly used machine!

2. Is there a "Remove and Replace" step-by-step description of the job anywhere on our site? (I've seen several comments regarding how much OTHER crap actually has to be removed to get at the shock....but no DEFINITIVE procedure.)

3. Of all you guys who HAVE replaced these at your own expense...what all different brands have been used? i.e. How many of you went with Works.....how many YSS.....etc. AND, are you happy with your solution...AND how much DID it cost you?

4. Last but not least.......I'm not REAL anxious to crawl under my bike and/or hoist it up on a jack before I absolutely have to...so, if I procrastinate (as I usually do on stuff like this) will I be one VERY sorry guy, stuck out in the boondocks when the thing finally goes COMPLETELY south on me (it's only leaked a couple of ounces of oil so far...but is still working not too badly.) Will I be left sitting with a wheel/tire jammed so far up under my fender that I'll have to call CAA?

Thanks for as many answers as you have time for.

Mike

P.S. I'm out of warranty....it's an '03.....so I gotta say I'M pretty pissed that I'm spending this much money for a 'mission critical' part on a bike with only 34,000KM on it. (20Kmiles). It's not the quality I've come to expect from ANYTHING Japanese. (Toyota Camry jokes notwithstanding........cause I own one of those, too!.....but at least that was paid for by the company......and it didn't sack out my rear wheels!)

Replaced the one in my '03 back in '04 under warranty with only 8000 kms. on it. Dumped all the oil in one shot on the garage floor. I drove it a month until I got the new one. Didn't really notice a lot of difference but I only had the bike about two months at the time and wasn't really used to it yet.

BTW, Brad T got that shock after my accident and as far as I know he's still using it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Mike, there is a good writeup on the 'other' good Venture website:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=337

( if that link fails, just go to http://www.venturers.org, TECH LIBRARY, 2ND GEN, SUSPENSION, INSTALLING A WORKS SHOCK )

They are replacing a factory shock with a Works unit, but the removal and re-install would be nearly identical with a factory unit. I did remove BOTH passenger footboards, and the small curved covers behind them. This makes it easier to get at the top shock bolt. I used a small mechanics grabber tool to re-insert the bolt from the left side of the bike, thru this opening. Also, you need to have the bike on a lift, and take the seat off. The factory shock on my 2007 Venture had a small vent hose that is routed up thru near the top of the battery on the right side of the bike, this needs to be unhooked before the old shock will drop out.

If you continue to ride as the shock damping deteriorates, the ride will get a bit squirrely in corners, on bumps, and also, you might feel more discomfort in your lower back after an hour or 2 in the saddle...that shock has a job to do, and the bike is ill-behaved when its going bad. I know spending money on a bike is not always fun, but on a 7 year old bike, regardless of miles, this is a 'wear' item like a clutch, or a seat, or bearings. Sometimes riding means wrenching, too.

The built in mechanical spring will continue to hold the bike up, and keep it rideable, but you WILL have issues with it.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Hi Mike:

You may not remember me, but we met at Haugen's one night a couple of years ago. Replacing the shock is not as hard as it seems, IBents and myself did one here in the garage a couple of months ago for another Venture rider and it took just over an hour. You're not that far away, you could ride over one day this fall or next spring and I'd be glad to help you change it out.

BTW, the shock on my 04 went under warranty, and was replaced by Yamaha.

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere...but I HAVE (honest!) done quite a bit of reading and not found some of them (I swear!!)

1. What percentage of replaced rear shocks are done in/out of warranty (can I see a show of hands?) I only ask because no one seems TOO pissed about having to spend 500 bucks on a hardly used machine!

2. Is there a "Remove and Replace" step-by-step description of the job anywhere on our site? (I've seen several comments regarding how much OTHER crap actually has to be removed to get at the shock....but no DEFINITIVE procedure.)

3. Of all you guys who HAVE replaced these at your own expense...what all different brands have been used? i.e. How many of you went with Works.....how many YSS.....etc. AND, are you happy with your solution...AND how much DID it cost you?

4. Last but not least.......I'm not REAL anxious to crawl under my bike and/or hoist it up on a jack before I absolutely have to...so, if I procrastinate (as I usually do on stuff like this) will I be one VERY sorry guy, stuck out in the boondocks when the thing finally goes COMPLETELY south on me (it's only leaked a couple of ounces of oil so far...but is still working not too badly.) Will I be left sitting with a wheel/tire jammed so far up under my fender that I'll have to call CAA?

Thanks for as many answers as you have time for.

Mike

P.S. I'm out of warranty....it's an '03.....so I gotta say I'M pretty pissed that I'm spending this much money for a 'mission critical' part on a bike with only 34,000KM on it. (20Kmiles). It's not the quality I've come to expect from ANYTHING Japanese. (Toyota Camry jokes notwithstanding........cause I own one of those, too!.....but at least that was paid for by the company......and it didn't sack out my rear wheels!)

I have 240 000 km on my 01 and need to replace the shock. That will be no. 4 for me! I'm hoping to find a better alternative to the stock one, but don't look forward to dishing out $600.00. I'm scouting out the crashed machines to see if I can find a Works shock at a decent price.

Perhaps I personally don't have enough feeling in the Butttttocks region, "but" ,:Laugh: yeah I know bad punn...

my shock has been bad since I bought the bike and I can't even tell its bad except for the fact that it will not hold air. :confused24: Maybe it would be different if I rode 2 up?

However, since it is still under warranty, you can bet your sweet buttocks the dealership will be getting it bac to fix. :whistling: this winter of course when I'm finnished riding. They need the business in the winter and perhaps they will take the time to do it right...:backinmyday:

I went through TWO oem shocks and now waiting for a WERKS shock to come in..

my 2006 Midnight killed the first one before I bought the bike used from another rider.. I'd been riding it for most of the year and didn't realize it was a dead shock until I had the bike in the shop in Penn and the tech there mentioned it to me..

Luckily, a shop in Maine was kind enough to get me a new OEM and install it for me since my bike was still under warranty etc.. (I'm Canuck but my bike is a USA model etc)..

Unfortunately, that same shock died just past into the warranty period so thanks but no thanks.. dang!!

Why spend money on another shock that's going to most likely die on me again while I can get a rebuild-able shock from another source..

You can ride on a dead OEM shock but it sucks.. and it can get squirrely in some riding conditions..

I can hardly wait to get my new shock to go along with the newly serviced front shocks with Progressive Springs in them =)

My OEM shock went south at 20 k, leaking oil,etc. Thou there was still some factory warranty left I decided to go with a Works shock. Ya it was a bite in the a** paying for it but since installing the Works I've had no problems since. Currently I have between 22-24k on the Works shock.

Larry

Hey, guys....thanks for the great responses. (I'm hoping for more to roll in, especially to get a better feeling for what people are using who AREN'T getting a FREE replacement under warranty.

Gary, the fact that at least two of you mentioned you "hardly felt any difference" (even though you knew it had puked out its oil) seems strange....but at least that sort of confirms what Craig says about not getting "stranded" by this thing if I DO keep riding it.

Brian, thanks for the guidance to the "other" site for the step-by-step. (Not a problem that they're using a Works replacement...I might be, too!)

Gunk......I REALLY appreciate your offer to help me swap this thing out some afternoon....but, not sure if my brain could stand the 9 hour (return) trip up and down the 401. (Don't count me out, though.....you never know how chicken I might get when I look under this thing...or try to balance it on my crappy jack!)

Alain, EVERYBODY must be picking up replacements from 'wreckers'; Zdeno didn't even have one........and they ALWAYS have EVERYTHING!!

Based on how frequently these things fail.......and based on how many 2nd Gens there are on the road......there must be dozens of riders who've replaced this puppy OUT OF WARRANTY. May we hear from a few more of you, please. (It appears there's lots of interest!!)

Thanks again to everyone for all the info.........keep it coming!

Mike

Hey, guys....thanks for the great responses. (I'm hoping for more to roll in, especially to get a better feeling for what people are using who AREN'T getting a FREE replacement under warranty.

Gunk......I REALLY appreciate your offer to help me swap this thing out some afternoon....but, not sure if my brain could stand the 9 hour (return) trip up and down the 401. (Don't count me out, though.....you never know how chicken I might get when I look under this thing...or try to balance it on my crappy jack!)

Mike

Unwilling to do a 9 hour slab ride down the 401?? What are you, an owner or a rider? hehe.. sorry, had to toss that one at ya!! But it's a good excuse for a ride.. Buddy and I did a 12 hour run a couple of weeks ago from Halifax NS to Gorham NH in the cold and rain.. and looking for another road trip next week..

Oh wait.. you said the 401.. never mind, the way they drive on that piece or road, I understand what you mean.. ;)

This sounds like one of those "there are two types of Ventures. Ones who's shocks have failed and those that will"

For those who's shocks have failed... from another thread I see where the shocks have been taken apart and inspected but is there any correlation to how much (or little) air pressure is run on them? Or overloading?

I work in the automotive industry with Toyota and I know that when there are common complaints about a model the manufacturer can be forced to have a recall. NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/) in the States records safety defects. This isn't a safety issue but if they get enough complaints they usually investigate

After reading about all of the folks with failed shock, I too was not looking forward to the day that mine keeled over and blew oil in my garage. Since I had been reading about the expense, I had done some looking around before I actually had mine fail. Then, sure enough, at some point there was some oil on the garage floor under my bike, looked underneath and it was obvious where the oil had been coming from. Mine leaked slowly for a few weeks then the last time it leaked, it left a little puddle under the bike.

Mine is a 2001 and the shock gave up its oil somewhere around 35k miles (or so - like I said, the slow leak sort of made it difficult to pin down). I rode for a little over 2 months after the last of the oil made its way out of the shock, but probably rode for a few months between the first appearance of oil and when it finally 'gave out'. Rideability and the quality of the ride decreased, as did handling. I noticed it the most when I would hit small bumps at very steep lean angles as well as the occasional 'bottom out'. I kept my shock somewhere between 25 and 40 psi (if I recall correctly). I did notice that my bike sagged a lot when sat on it or there would be a lot of play (with little resistance) if I pushed down on the rear end - even gently.

The options I sought out were OEM (best price ~450 after S&H), EPM (see below), YSS (bigger waste of time than EPM) and the works performance (700 after shipping). Ultimately I ended up with the works, and still incredibly ticked that after 11 years of these dumb things failing it doesn't seem that Yamaha is doing anything other than adding a vent hose in 2004. I called yamaha 'customer service' a few times, just for kicks, and got the same story "the failing rear shock is not a common problem on the RSV, but it does happen from time to time with any suspension, blah blah blah". I did not really expect anything from yamaha, but I did want to express my disgust with the cost of replacement for the same craptastic unit - not to mention the manual does say "for any comments or questions please call 1-800-..." So, I did.

Honestly I do feel that this is a safety issue, BUT I do understand that suspension is a wear item that will fail at some point - at least if you cannot change the oil in them, etc etc. But after only 30k? and at the high failure rate we seem to have on our bikes... Come on Yamaha.

Anyhoo here is my expereince with the following:

OEM/Yamahahaha: I think I have said enough about this piece of... shock.

If you'd like to go with an OEM shock, part shark has them for 430.38 +S/H.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1345192&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2010&fveh=37804

But again, think about it: 2 OEM shocks = 860+... :happy34:

Don't hesitate to do some searching on our very own VR site; you can find all sorts of good info on this topic too.

:080402gudl_prv:

EPM:

"Has anyone contacted EPM Performance, and checked out their shock. They claim to have a shock for the Venture. Part number YSS model 506-255TR. It sells for $500.00"

I did when I was shopping around for mine and was not impressed at all. I believe we have (at least one member) that went ahead and ordered one from them but here's what happened when I contacted them.

1) Sent e-mail describing year, make and model of my bike and I asked if they had a shock for our bikes (it was not listed in their parts cataloge, or whatever)

2) Received e-mail back a few days later saying that yes they had one 'in stock' but needed me to remove my shock, send it in to them along with the measurements and specs of the current shock and then they could send me their new one for the 500 + Shipping.

3) I e-mailed to clarify that they had it 'in stock' but needed my old shock, measurements, specs and whatnot BEFORE I received the shock.

4) I received a very short e-mail back saying yes.

5) I returned the e-mail saying thanks but not thanks. I decided for 500 bucks I wasn't about to be a guinea pig.

Your mileage may vary as they have had 8 months now...

:confused24:

Sorry I can't be of more help.

YSS - Similar to EPM except they were more upfront about needing the measurements, etc and that they would have to build it. I believe we have at least one member on here that successfully got one from YSS, but I have no clue who it is and don't recall a report on it after it was installed on the bike.

Works:

I can't seem to find my post where I discussed my issues with the works shock and their 'customer service' (believe me the word 'service' there is used loosely). I'll summarize here:

Ordered mine direct through works (like you have to do). Got an e-mail a few days later saying that they couldn't start my order until I told them what bike I had, rider weight, gear, passenger weight and % of time riding with passenger. This really irritated me because that conversation was had when I placed the order originally, as well as had it in a confirmation e-mail. I asked when to expect my shock and salesman said 2-6 weeks from the order date, but he figured it would be much closer to the 2 weeks because they did not have very many orders in front of mine. I called again at the beginning of week 6 to see what was going on with the order and got handed around between a few salesman - no one knew anything of my order; I got sufficiently ticked off that I hung up as I was tired of waiting on hold and being bounced salesman to salesman (or one really talented salesman with many voices, who knows). Called the next day and got a guy that was quite nice and sounded reasonably well informed, he found my order right away and said he was rather surprised that it hasn't been shipped out yet. He put me on hold and about 30 seconds later came back and said that the spring for my shock had not been ordered (he is THE guy that is supposed to order these heavy duty springs for the RSVs - they are quite unique) and the original order was sitting on the original guy's desk so it hadn't been fully processed yet. He was quite apologetic, quite frankly at that point if we had another feasible option for a shock, I would have canceled my order and gone with someone else. Now, 7.5-8 weeks later the shock was delivered to my doorstep. The following day I got an e-mail notifying me that my shock will be shipped out (ha, thanks a lot for the notification - a lot of good that does, dinguses). I checked the tracking and it took my shock 2 days to get to my door from the factory.

So, now I'm excited because my shock FINALLY arrived, go to do the install and old shock off in about 15 minutes, new shock mounts fine on the top but I cannot get it onto the swing arm. The bottom of the shock was too small and did not fit like it was supposed to (see: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49306 for discussion and a picture).

After my test riding and such, everything seems okay. After a few thousand miles I couldn't really get it adjusted the way I like it and wanted to explore their 'ride quality guarantee' to see what they could do for me (I felt and still feel like it is rather stiff unless I'm loaded with 75 lbs of crap and a passenger). The 'customer service' basically told me that they couldn't do anything for me about the ride stiffness or the fact that it didn't fit right (and yes, I was within my 30 days).

I realize that many people have been quite happy with their experience with Works, but this is mine. Hopefully EVERYONE else that deals with them has a much MUCH better experience.

It has been 10-15k miles since my install and I am happy with the bikes handling after I replaced the bad shock (I was absolutely amazed at what a difference it made) and the ride is nice (when I'm fully loaded - which I guess is when it counts the most anyways). Would I be willing to shell out 700 bucks again to this company -- well, That is a really REALLY tough call. They are pricey, but so is having to replace the OEM shock more than once. I would probably hold my nose and do it again, if I had a different RSV that needed a new shock. I would adjust the weights I gave them and I would be much more aggressive about calling them to check on my order - but I would probably opt for them over the possibility of multiple OEM replacements (especailly out of warranty).

I hope that I have answered your question even though I probably sound like a bitter old shrew - better than a 'sub human missing-link' though, (right Forrest? :stickpoke::stickpoke: :rasberry:)

As far as the instructions for the install - I think I wrote up a compact version of them, with pictures, in another thread -- when I get some time later I'll look to see if I can find them. If not, I know for sure I still have the pictures, I could easily do them again if necessary. It really is a rather straight forward job (provided ALL of the parts fit like they are SUPPOSED to).

Okay, I'll can it for now.

:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
I know that when there are common complaints about a model the manufacturer can be forced to have a recall.... This isn't a safety issue but if they get enough complaints they usually investigate

Like tires and clutches, shocks are a WEAR item. They should last more than 20,000 miles, agreed. But a wear item thats guaranteed for 5 years...well that aint too shabby. I went thru 3 sets of rear shocks on my ElectraGlide in 5 years...all at MY expense!

Like tires and clutches, shocks are a WEAR item. They should last more than 20,000 miles, agreed. But a wear item thats guaranteed for 5 years...well that aint too shabby. I went thru 3 sets of rear shocks on my ElectraGlide in 5 years...all at MY expense!

Guess I got spoiled by my Suzuki GS1100G shafty: same rear shocks for 24 years!

Guest tx2sturgis
Guess I got spoiled by my Suzuki GS1100G shafty: same rear shocks for 24 years!

I had a 1980 Suzuki GS750 and I can tell you that those shocks were junk from day one. WAAY undersprung. The aftermarket even back then was full of replacements.

Not sayin your shocks didnt last that long...but I am sayin that it was VERY common for them to lose spring stiffness after only a few thousand miles. Possibly the dampening on yours held up, or maybe they were 'good enough' to ride on....or maybe your a skinny feller and the shocks were fine...and I dont really know how many miles you rode the 1100.

Pairs of shocks tend to last a bit longer than monoshocks. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

I had a 1980 Suzuki GS750 and I can tell you that those shocks were junk from day one. WAAY undersprung. The aftermarket even back then was full of replacements.

Not sayin your shocks didnt last that long...but I am sayin that it was VERY common for them to lose spring stiffness after only a few thousand miles. Possibly the dampening on yours held up, or maybe they were 'good enough' to ride on....or maybe your a skinny feller and the shocks were fine...and I dont really know how many miles you rode the 1100.

Pairs of shocks tend to last a bit longer than monoshocks. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Right on two counts:

I AM a skinny fart - 175

I only rode the GS about 25 thousand miles from 1982 to 2006

However, if EVERYBODY else knows that two shocks last longer.....isn't it curious that those smartypants engineers at Yamaha haven't figured it out? Or at least after ten years of failures figured out how to make a MONO that lasts at least 500 hours? (about TWICE as long as the current ones, based on the average mileage before failure that I see reported here.)

As Don said, further up this thread, any car company with this history of suspension disasters would have been embarrassed or sued into a massive (total) recall by now.

Really.....tell me.......are there ANY RSV owners out there who have over 25 thousand miles (40k km) on their bike who HAVEN'T replaced the rear shock?

Maybe it's time to do the unofficial roll call, create the database, do the press release to five or six major bike mags then look for a starving young lawyer with an interest in class actions.

By the way, here's the answer I received from Works when I enquired about a replacement monoshock. (Presumably we VentureRiders would qualify for the 10% "group" discount):

==============================================================

Ultrasport Series w/single rate spring, threaded preload and 18 position adjustable rebound damping @ $689.

UPS Shipping to an east coast US address is appx. $23.

Service on the unit would typically be a gas and oil service and seal replacements @ $110.

Unlike generic, off the shelf shocks offered by other shock companies, Works shocks are custom built for rider weight, riding style and skill level and come with a performance guarantee ( 30 days), parts and workmanship warranty ( 12 months on street bikes, 90 days on race and off road vehicles) and are fully rebuildable.

A 10% discount is available to AMA, AHRMA and other motorcycling associations, forum and owners group members.

Works Performance products are custom built to order and lead time to build varies, depending on the number of orders in front of you, engineering time for custom frame/swingarm applications and the availability of the components required to build your shocks with. If we need to machine or plate required components, it adds time. We will always try to meet your needs if at all possible, but due to the custom built nature of the product, we do not guarantee specific delivery dates.

Allow 2-4 weeks(approximately)from date of order until date of shipment.

Thank You,

Thomas Edison

Sales & Customer Service

Works Performance Products, Inc.

21045 Osborne Street

Canoga Park, CA 91304

818-701-1010 ext 21

818-701-9043 fax

www.worksperformance.com

............and here's the response from YSS:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Yes, we have built a few shocks for the Royal Star Venture – 2001.

I was told that 99 to present are all the same.

The shock is a YSS MZ 506-255 TR at $ 499.00

It is an Emulsion-Gas shock with adjustable rebound damping and pre-load via the C-spanner.

Warranty – 2 years

Delivery – 2-3 weeks.

Please call the office in J at 732-786-9777 with your questions and/or order.

Regards

Klaus Huenecke

Guest tx2sturgis
Right on two counts:

I AM a skinny fart - 175

I only rode the GS about 25 thousand miles from 1982 to 2006

However, if EVERYBODY else knows that two shocks last longer.....isn't it curious that those smartypants engineers at Yamaha haven't figured it out? Or at least after ten years of failures figured out how to make a MONO that lasts at least 500 hours? (about TWICE as long as the current ones, based on the average mileage before failure that I see reported here.)

As Don said, further up this thread, any car company with this history of suspension disasters would have been embarrassed or sued into a massive (total) recall by now.

Really.....tell me.......are there ANY RSV owners out there who have over 25 thousand miles (40k km) on their bike who HAVEN'T replaced the rear shock?

Maybe it's time to do the unofficial roll call, create the database, do the press release to five or six major bike mags then look for a starving young lawyer with an interest in class actions.

You know I would love it if the shocks lasted 100,000 miles on these bikes. But they dont. I would love it if the tires lasted 100,000 miles. The semi that I drive will run 100,000 miles on a set of steer tires and over 200,000 on a set of drive tires. So to me, only getting 8,000 or 10,000 miles on a rear motorcycle tire seems grounds for a lawsuit...I'm being sarcastic of course.

And 25,000 miles on your GS does not show that the shocks are particularly long lived. I'm guessing they are a bit worn by now. Maybe the seals are ok...maybe not...

And your assumption that Yamaha does not know what lasts...they do...but style and function dictate some compromises. In this case, not using twin shocks allows room for larger saddlebags, and a better looking tail section...(yes thats subjective).

Consider:

No one who buys a new RSV is out ANY money for a new shock during that 5 year warranty, unless they choose to upgrade to an aftermarket shock. No ones safety is jeopardized because of its failure, as far as I can tell...unless maybe the oil from the leaking shock gets on the rear tire and causes a crash...or they lose control because of the poorer handling. Havent heard of this happening but I suppose its possible.

Anyone who buys a USED RSV may certainly have to replace this item when it wears out....but remember, you paid THOUSANDS less than a new one, and repairs and maintenence SHOULD be part of your budget for the bike, just like insurance, tires, oil, and gasoline.

We all WANT it to last for a million miles...but it doesnt.

I'm not sticking up for Yamaha, but the fact is, these are vehicles and sometimes vehicles need repairs.

I dont like to think in terms of litigation and class actions to solve something like this. In that situation the lawyers will get LOTS of money..lets not make them rich..all that does is cause the price of the product to go UP...witness BIG TOBACCO...Its as simple as: Dont like it? SELL IT!

No one forces you to buy it, or keep it.

Hey...some of us buy a new computer every few years because ours gets slower or obsolete or whatever...is that a FLAW with the computers? Should we sue someone because they get old and slow or get malware and viruses?

I'm just sayin...lets be realistic. They are what they are. Large, heavy bikes that support a LOT of weight and use a monoshock to do it. Things happen.

And by the way...I broke a belt on my 2000 ElectraGlide in Sturgis one year...and that repair cost me over $760 with parts, labor, and the taxi ride. (luckily, no towing was involved)

So is the belt drive system flawed? It IS vulnerable to breakage from gravel or other debris. At least when the shock goes, we get some warning. You can replace it at your leisure. Not so when the belt breaks...you are 'dead in the water'.

Maybe we should look at trying to get some group rates on a quantity of aftermarket units. Couldnt hurt.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Yes.

Mine is a 2001 and the shock gave up its oil somewhere around 35k miles (or so - like I said, the slow leak sort of made it difficult to pin down). ...